I have 2 SSA-1099. How to enter them?

Wade Lippman

Jan 11, 2024, 4:52:31 PMJan 11
I am filing a joint return. My wife has one SSA-1099 and I have two SSA-1099. One is from before I was 70 and got spousal benefits, and the Second is from after I was 70 and got my own benefit.
How do I enter them?
H&R Block says I should simply add them, but they do not know if that is acceptable to the IRS.
Is that the correct method? If not, what is?

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>

Bob Sandler

Jan 11, 2024, 5:17:39 PMJan 11
>I am filing a joint return. My wife has one SSA-1099 and I have two SSA-1099. One is from before I was 70 and got spousal benefits, and the Second is from after I was 70 and got my own benefit.
>How do I enter them?
>H&R Block says I should simply add them, but they do not know if that is acceptable to the IRS.
>Is that the correct method? If not, what is?

Add your two SSA-1099 forms together and enter the total.

The Social Security Benefits Worksheet in the IRS
instructions for Form 1040 says "Enter the total amount from
box 5 of all your Forms SSA-1099."

Bob Sandler

Rick

Jan 12, 2024, 4:56:48 PMJan 12
"Wade Lippman" wrote in message

>I am filing a joint return. My wife has one SSA-1099 and I have two
>SSA-1099. One is from before I was 70 and got spousal benefits, and the
>Second is from after I was 70 and got my own benefit.
>How do I enter them?
>H&R Block says I should simply add them, but they do not know if that is
>acceptable to the IRS.
>Is that the correct method? If not, what is?

I had this exact same situation for the year in which I turned 70. I had
two SSA-1099 forms, one from receiving a spousal benefit for two months and
one for my full benefit the rest of the year, and my wife had her own form
for the year. I simply added them all together and entered the totals, and
IRS had no problem with my return. You don't actually have to include the
1099s with the return.

Wade Lippman

Jan 12, 2024, 7:27:15 PMJan 12
On Friday, January 12, 2024 at 4:56:48 PM UTC-5, Rick wrote:
> "Wade Lippman" wrote in message
> >
> >I am filing a joint return. My wife has one SSA-1099 and I have two
> >SSA-1099. One is from before I was 70 and got spousal benefits, and the
> >Second is from after I was 70 and got my own benefit.
> >How do I enter them?
> >H&R Block says I should simply add them, but they do not know if that is
> >acceptable to the IRS.
> >Is that the correct method? If not, what is?
> >
> I had this exact same situation for the year in which I turned 70. I had
> two SSA-1099 forms, one from receiving a spousal benefit for two months and
> one for my full benefit the rest of the year, and my wife had her own form
> for the year. I simply added them all together and entered the totals, and
> IRS had no problem with my return. You don't actually have to include the
> 1099s with the return.

Thanks. I was concerned that nothing will match the documents they get from SS; but if it is normal, I guess they can deal with it.