reporting tax refund no received

Lenny Miller

Apr 13, 2022, 2:24:38 PM4/13/22
I'm now filing for tax years 2018 - 2021. I had refund for the year
2018. Obviously, I haven't gotten it. Do I still list it in the 2019 tax
filing or do I file it in the year I actually get it?

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>

Bob Sandler

Apr 14, 2022, 1:39:42 AM4/14/22
On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 14:22:31 EDT, Lenny Miller
<lmi...@invalid.com> wrote:

>I'm now filing for tax years 2018 - 2021. I had refund for the year
>2018. Obviously, I haven't gotten it. Do I still list it in the 2019 tax
>filing or do I file it in the year I actually get it?

You never report a federal tax refund on your federal tax
return. If you get a state refund for 2018, you might have
to report part or all of it as income on your federal tax
return for the year that you receive the state refund, but
only if you claimed an itemized deduction for state income
tax on your 2018 federal tax return.

In order to get a refund for 2018 you have to file the
return by tomorrow, April 15, 2022. After that it's too late
to get a refund for 2018.

Bob Sandler

Lenny Miller

Apr 14, 2022, 2:29:47 PM4/14/22
On 4/14/2022 1:38 AM, Bob Sandler wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 14:22:31 EDT, Lenny Miller
> <lmi...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm now filing for tax years 2018 - 2021. I had refund for the year
>> 2018. Obviously, I haven't gotten it. Do I still list it in the 2019 tax
>> filing or do I file it in the year I actually get it?
>
> You never report a federal tax refund on your federal tax
> return. If you get a state refund for 2018, you might have
> to report part or all of it as income on your federal tax
> return for the year that you receive the state refund, but
> only if you claimed an itemized deduction for state income
> tax on your 2018 federal tax return.
>
> In order to get a refund for 2018 you have to file the
> return by tomorrow, April 15, 2022. After that it's too late
> to get a refund for 2018.
>
> Bob Sandler

Thank you. I just put it in the mail.