Information on Google Groups

Stuart O. Bronstein

Dec 30, 2023, 10:52:28 AM12/30/23
Info from Google:

Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet
groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue
to view and search for historical Usenet content posted before February
22, 2024 on Google Groups however.

There are other ways to access usenet. I use

http://individual.net

Another one is

https://news.eternal-september.org/

There may be others as well.

--
Stu
http://DownToEarthLawyer.com

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>

John Levine

Dec 30, 2023, 2:48:09 PM12/30/23
According to Stuart O. Bronstein <spam...@lexregia.com>:
>There may be others as well.

There are lots of them. Here are some reviews:

https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/the-best-usenet-providers

https://www.techradar.com/best/best-usenet-providers

https://techjury.net/best/usenet-providers/

If you have a linux server it is not hard to run your own usenet
server but it愀 probably not worth the hassle. I do, but I use mine
for a bunch of other private stuff.

--
Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

========================================= MODERATOR'S COMMENT:
Thanks John

ira smilovitz

Dec 30, 2023, 3:33:09 PM12/30/23
On Saturday, December 30, 2023 at 2:48:09 PM UTC-5, John Levine wrote:
> According to Stuart O. Bronstein <spam...@lexregia.com>:
> >There may be others as well.
> There are lots of them. Here are some reviews:
>
> https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/the-best-usenet-providers
>
> https://www.techradar.com/best/best-usenet-providers
>
> https://techjury.net/best/usenet-providers/
>
> If you have a linux server it is not hard to run your own usenet
> server but it愀 probably not worth the hassle. I do, but I use mine
> for a bunch of other private stuff.
>
> --
> Regards,
> John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
> Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly
>
> ========================================= MODERATOR'S COMMENT:
> Thanks John
> --

Thank you both. I was wondering what I would have to do when Google access disappeared.

Ira Smilovitz, EA
Leonia, NJ

Bob Sandler

Dec 30, 2023, 8:44:11 PM12/30/23
>There may be others as well.

List of Usenet newsreaders on Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Usenet_newsreaders

I use Forté Agent, which is a software client installed on
my computer.
https://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php
One-time purchase of the client software is $29. The client
has to connect to a Usenet server. The Agent software can
connect to any Usenet server. I use the Agent Usenet
Service, $2.95 per month.

There are also web-based clients, which do not require
installing anything. They work like Google groups.

Bob Sandler

Rick

Dec 30, 2023, 9:09:18 PM12/30/23
"John Levine" wrote in message news:umpk2a$2c5a$1...@gal.iecc.com...

>According to Stuart O. Bronstein <spam...@lexregia.com>:
>>There may be others as well.
>
>There are lots of them. Here are some reviews:
>
>https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/the-best-usenet-providers
>
>https://www.techradar.com/best/best-usenet-providers
>
>https://techjury.net/best/usenet-providers/
>
>If you have a linux server it is not hard to run your own usenet
>server but it´s probably not worth the hassle. I do, but I use mine
>for a bunch of other private stuff.

I have been using news.eternal-september.org for years with no issues than
occasional brief down times that usually only last a few hours. You do have
to get an account with a password, but it's totally free.

Not A Clue

Dec 31, 2023, 12:46:57 PM12/31/23
On Saturday, December 30, 2023 at 9:09:18 PM UTC-5, Rick wrote:
> "John Levine" wrote in message news:umpk2a$2c5a$1...@gal.iecc.com...
> >
> >According to Stuart O. Bronstein <spam...@lexregia.com>:
> >>There may be others as well.
> >
> >There are lots of them. Here are some reviews:
> >
> >https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/the-best-usenet-providers
> >
> >https://www.techradar.com/best/best-usenet-providers
> >
> >https://techjury.net/best/usenet-providers/
> >
> >If you have a linux server it is not hard to run your own usenet
> >server but it´s probably not worth the hassle. I do, but I use mine
> >for a bunch of other private stuff.
> >
> I have been using news.eternal-september.org for years with no issues than
> occasional brief down times that usually only last a few hours. You do have
> to get an account with a password, but it's totally free.

Re: news.eternal-september.org. Do you need to sign in to simply read the content? Or is it like here, you only need to sin in to post?

TIA

Wilson

Jan 1, 2024, 2:01:40 PMJan 1
On 12/30/2023 2:45 PM, John Levine wrote:
> According to Stuart O. Bronstein <spam...@lexregia.com>:
>> There may be others as well.
>
> There are lots of them. Here are some reviews:
>
> https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/the-best-usenet-providers
>
> https://www.techradar.com/best/best-usenet-providers
>
> https://techjury.net/best/usenet-providers/
>
> If you have a linux server it is not hard to run your own usenet
> server but it´s probably not worth the hassle. I do, but I use mine
> for a bunch of other private stuff.

I've been using news.eternal-september.org for years with no troubles.
Google knows too much and I never use them. Try duckduckgo.com and stop
giving your info away. JM2C

Rick

Jan 1, 2024, 2:01:40 PMJan 1
"Not A Clue" wrote in message

>On Saturday, December 30, 2023 at 9:09:18 PM UTC-5, Rick wrote:

>> >There are lots of them. Here are some reviews:
>> >
>> >https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/the-best-usenet-providers
>> >
>> >https://www.techradar.com/best/best-usenet-providers
>> >
>> >https://techjury.net/best/usenet-providers/
>> >
>> >If you have a linux server it is not hard to run your own usenet
>> >server but it´s probably not worth the hassle. I do, but I use mine
>> >for a bunch of other private stuff.
>> >
>> I have been using news.eternal-september.org for years with no issues
>> than
>> occasional brief down times that usually only last a few hours. You do
>> have
>> to get an account with a password, but it's totally free.
>>
>Re: news.eternal-september.org. Do you need to sign in to simply read
>the content? Or is it like here, you only need to sin in to post?
>
>TIA

Here's the info from their website. I believe you need an account to read
or post.

https://news.eternal-september.org/