confused on strategy here

MZB

Dec 7, 2023, 2:01:08 PM12/7/23
$8000 in st loss
$22000 in LT gain

Suppose I have $3000 in unrealized ST gain.

Do I take it now -- would nullify more LT gain (15% bracket)
If I wait until 2024, then it might just nullify income (22%).

Thoughts?

Mel

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>

ira smilovitz

Dec 10, 2023, 8:27:27 PM12/10/23
On Thursday, December 7, 2023 at 2:01:08 PM UTC-5, MZB wrote:
> $8000 in st loss
> $22000 in LT gain
>
> Suppose I have $3000 in unrealized ST gain.
>
> Do I take it now -- would nullify more LT gain (15% bracket)
> If I wait until 2024, then it might just nullify income (22%).
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Mel
>
> --

If you take the $3000 in unrealized gain this year, the net result is $17K in taxable LT gain. If you defer taking the gain, you have $14K in taxable LT gain this year.

Ira Smilovitz, EA
Leonia, NJ