No more TurboTax in IRS Free File

Stan Brown

Dec 16, 2021, 7:37:46 PM12/16/21
Text of an email I received today:

"With the IRS Free File program surpassing its founding goals of e-
file and tax preparation, Intuit has elected not to renew its
participation in the Free File Program for the upcoming tax season.
This decision will allow us to focus on further innovation and to
continue exploring how to best serve the complete financial health of
all Americans through our products and services. Learn more.

"In the past, you have used TurboTax through the Free File program to
prepare and file your taxes. Although Intuit is no longer
participating in the program, if your Adjusted Gross Income is
$73,000 or less, you may still qualify for other IRS Free File Offers
at www.IRS.Gov."

It's a pity: I found the IRS Free File version of TurboTax for 2020
taxes much better than H&R Block, which I paid for in one year, and
Credit Karma, which I used for 2½ years.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
https://OakRoadSystems.com/

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>

Bob Sandler

Dec 17, 2021, 12:33:21 PM12/17/21
>Text of an email I received today:
>
>"With the IRS Free File program surpassing its founding goals of e-
>file and tax preparation, Intuit has elected not to renew its
>participation in the Free File Program for the upcoming tax season.
>This decision will allow us to focus on further innovation and to
>continue exploring how to best serve the complete financial health of
>all Americans through our products and services. Learn more.
>
>"In the past, you have used TurboTax through the Free File program to
>prepare and file your taxes. Although Intuit is no longer
>participating in the program, if your Adjusted Gross Income is
>$73,000 or less, you may still qualify for other IRS Free File Offers
>at www.IRS.Gov."
>
>It's a pity: I found the IRS Free File version of TurboTax for 2020
>taxes much better than H&R Block, which I paid for in one year, and
>Credit Karma, which I used for 2½ years.

If your tax return is VERY simple you could use TurboTax
Online Free Edition on the TurboTax web site. But, while it
doesn't have an income limit, it has a lot more restrictions
than the IRS Free File version. If you need Form 5695, which
you asked about a few weeks ago, or anything on Schedules 1,
2, 3, A, B, C, D, or E, you can't use Free Edition.

Bob Sandler