Non-Processed Amended Return and Reporting AGI

Victor Roberts

Oct 26, 2021, 7:36:06 PM10/26/21
My sister had to file an amended return for 2020 after she received
updated information from her broker last Spring after she had filed.
Her AGI increased by a grand total of $18.00

Due to COVID and staffing shortages, her amended return has not yet
been processed.

If the amended return is not processed by the time she files her 2021
return in early 2022, which 2020 AGI should she list? The initial AGI
or the one from the amended return?

I suspect the original will be accepted by the IRS computers as long
as her amended return has not been processed.

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>

ira smilovitz

Oct 26, 2021, 8:56:10 PM10/26/21
On Tuesday, October 26, 2021 at 7:36:06 PM UTC-4, Victor Roberts wrote:
> My sister had to file an amended return for 2020 after she received
> updated information from her broker last Spring after she had filed.
> Her AGI increased by a grand total of $18.00
>
> Due to COVID and staffing shortages, her amended return has not yet
> been processed.
>
> If the amended return is not processed by the time she files her 2021
> return in early 2022, which 2020 AGI should she list? The initial AGI
> or the one from the amended return?
>
> I suspect the original will be accepted by the IRS computers as long
> as her amended return has not been processed.
>
> --

I believe that even after the amended return is processed, she will continue to use the original AGI for ID verification.

Ira Smilovitz, EA
Leonia, NJ

Bob Sandler

Oct 26, 2021, 10:46:18 PM10/26/21
>> My sister had to file an amended return for 2020 after she received
>> updated information from her broker last Spring after she had filed.
>> Her AGI increased by a grand total of $18.00
>>
>> Due to COVID and staffing shortages, her amended return has not yet
>> been processed.
>>
>> If the amended return is not processed by the time she files her 2021
>> return in early 2022, which 2020 AGI should she list? The initial AGI
>> or the one from the amended return?
>>
>> I suspect the original will be accepted by the IRS computers as long
>> as her amended return has not been processed.
>>

>I believe that even after the amended return is processed,
>she will continue to use the original AGI for ID
>verification.
>
>Ira Smilovitz, EA

Ira is correct. For e-filing you always use the AGI from the
previous year's original return, even if it has been
amended.

Bob Sandler

Victor Roberts

Oct 30, 2021, 10:56:18 AM10/30/21
Thank you.

On Tue, 26 Oct 2021 20:51:34 EDT, ira smilovitz
<ira.sm...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, October 26, 2021 at 7:36:06 PM UTC-4, Victor Roberts wrote:
>> My sister had to file an amended return for 2020 after she received
>> updated information from her broker last Spring after she had filed.
>> Her AGI increased by a grand total of $18.00
>>
>> Due to COVID and staffing shortages, her amended return has not yet
>> been processed.
>>
>> If the amended return is not processed by the time she files her 2021
>> return in early 2022, which 2020 AGI should she list? The initial AGI
>> or the one from the amended return?
>>
>> I suspect the original will be accepted by the IRS computers as long
>> as her amended return has not been processed.
>>
>> --
>
>I believe that even after the amended return is processed, she will continue to use the original AGI for ID verification.

Victor Roberts

Oct 30, 2021, 10:56:18 AM10/30/21
Thank you.

On Tue, 26 Oct 2021 22:44:53 EDT, Bob Sandler <bob_u...@yahoo.com>