Foreign Tax Credit

Lawrence Israel

May 12, 2021, 10:17:37 AMMay 12
As a newbie to the Form 1116 jungle, I have the following question. A person's tax is zero, but there are enough foreign taxes so that form 1116 shows that there could have been a credit, and the person wants to carry the credit forward.

Should he fill out a zero-amount schedule 3 and enclose it with his 1116 when the taxes are filed?

--
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>

Not A Clue

May 13, 2021, 7:39:41 PMMay 13
On Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at 10:17:37 AM UTC-4, larry.i...@gmail.com wrote:
> As a newbie to the Form 1116 jungle, I have the following question. A person's tax is zero, but there are enough foreign taxes so that form 1116 shows that there could have been a credit, and the person wants to carry the credit forward.
>
> Should he fill out a zero-amount schedule 3 and enclose it with his 1116 when the taxes are filed?

Did you fully fill out the Form 1116?

This is my general understanding of the Form 1116:

*Conceptually*, the foreign tax credit you will get in a year depends on the amount of U.S. tax you paid on the foreign dividend income. If you paid $0 U.S. tax this year, that would mean you also paid $0 US tax on the foreign dividend. So whatever foreign tax was withheld would be carry forward.