IRS hasn't yet processed my extension

Adam H. Kerman

Sep 16, 2021, 12:22:47 PM9/16/21
Fun with IRS:

The majority of the time, I send returns and extension requests and
correspondence that requires proof of timeliness to IRS as certified mail on
the due date or a few days ahead. Sometimes I'm rushed and don't have
time to stand in line at the post office, which is required to obtain
the receipt stamped with the round date stamp.

Last May, I sent in an extension request a week and a half before
return's due date. I don't normally send things in that early. I didn't
send it certified but I did log when I sent it in.

IRS hasn't processed the extension yet and that means they're not
acknowledging the deadline and it affects other returns that they don't
yet appear to have processed.

The second woman I spoke to said she'd have input the extension request
over the phone if I could have faxed her the certified mail receipt.
I'll bear that in mind in future. That means I have to set up the fax
machine before the call! (Or make sure I find some fax software to
install on the computer.) She wouldn't accept email.

Gah

After waiting on hold for a couple of hours and talking with two
different people, they gave me an address to write to, but they aren't
going to be helpful unless they finally process the extension or I find
that I really had sent it certified.

I need a better excuse for not having sent it certified than I didn't
feel like standing in line at the post office.

Stupid stupid stupid

My plan is to write a polite letter making me look as pathetic as
possible. I'll include any past returns they haven't yet processed, and
I'll include the latest return. For this year, I'm required to file
electronically but till the unprocessed returns get processed, I'm
blocked from doing so. They'll have to put up with another paper return
in addition to everything else.

I promise the Greek god of bureaucracy I'll send every tax return and
every extension request and every bit of correspondence that needs proof
of timeliness certified from now on.

--
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>

Maria Ku

Sep 23, 2021, 7:28:14 PM9/23/21
I've used this while on-line with the IRS in real time. It's free:
https://www.gotfreefax.com/