refund still processing

Bill W.

May 22, 2021, 9:32:15 AMMay 22
IRS accepted return first week of April. Still no refund, refund link still keeps saying "processing". Impossible calling for an answer. Is there an end in sight for refund being deposited? Used Std. deduction, all income is mostly retirement.

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>

ira smilovitz

May 23, 2021, 2:59:15 PMMay 23
On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 9:32:15 AM UTC-4, bh2...@gmail.com wrote:
> IRS accepted return first week of April. Still no refund, refund link still keeps saying "processing". Impossible calling for an answer. Is there an end in sight for refund being deposited? Used Std. deduction, all income is mostly retirement.
>
> --

If there's a discrepancy on the EIP/RRC or APTC issues, the return will be in error resolution. That's one of areas with a significant backlog.

Ira Smilovitz, EA
Leonia, NJ

Roger Fitzsimmons

May 24, 2021, 6:00:52 PMMay 24
On Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 2:59:15 PM UTC-4, ira.sm...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 9:32:15 AM UTC-4, bh2...@gmail.com wrote:
> > IRS accepted return first week of April. Still no refund, refund link still keeps saying "processing". Impossible calling for an answer. Is there an end in sight for refund being deposited? Used Std. deduction, all income is mostly retirement.
> >
> > --
> If there's a discrepancy on the EIP/RRC or APTC issues, the return will be in error resolution. That's one of areas with a significant backlog.
>
> Ira Smilovitz, EA
> Leonia, NJ

I am on Obamacare. For the first five months of 2020 I took an advance premium tax credit, but starting in June I did not. The APTC amount is large, around $1K/month. (I know it's not wise to intentionally run up a large refund, but let's let that slide for now). On the form (8985?) showing the SLCSP price and the APTC take, the health plan put 0 for the APTC for the months I did not take an APTC. I called and asked them to correct the form, but they told me it wasn't a problem and directed me to a "tax tool" where I could find the SLCSP. Of course I already had that for the first few months of the year.

Is this discrepancy - between the SLCSP value on the form and the one I claimed - the likely source of the delay in processing my return?

I'm thinking I should change my APTC to $1 per month just to get it to show up. Although my situation will still be the same for the beginning of 2021 as for the end of 2020. 2022 will be my last year on Obamacare as I turn 65 in late 2022.

ira smilovitz

May 24, 2021, 10:46:10 PMMay 24
On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 6:00:52 PM UTC-4, Roger Fitzsimmons wrote:
> On Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 2:59:15 PM UTC-4, ira.sm...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 9:32:15 AM UTC-4, bh2...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > IRS accepted return first week of April. Still no refund, refund link still keeps saying "processing". Impossible calling for an answer. Is there an end in sight for refund being deposited? Used Std. deduction, all income is mostly retirement.
> > >
> > > --
> > If there's a discrepancy on the EIP/RRC or APTC issues, the return will be in error resolution. That's one of areas with a significant backlog.
> >
> > Ira Smilovitz, EA
> > Leonia, NJ
> I am on Obamacare. For the first five months of 2020 I took an advance premium tax credit, but starting in June I did not. The APTC amount is large, around $1K/month. (I know it's not wise to intentionally run up a large refund, but let's let that slide for now). On the form (8985?) showing the SLCSP price and the APTC take, the health plan put 0 for the APTC for the months I did not take an APTC. I called and asked them to correct the form, but they told me it wasn't a problem and directed me to a "tax tool" where I could find the SLCSP. Of course I already had that for the first few months of the year.
>
> Is this discrepancy - between the SLCSP value on the form and the one I claimed - the likely source of the delay in processing my return?
>
> I'm thinking I should change my APTC to $1 per month just to get it to show up. Although my situation will still be the same for the beginning of 2021 as for the end of 2020. 2022 will be my last year on Obamacare as I turn 65 in late 2022.
> --

There is no way of knowing. From what I've seen in the public statements by IRS officials, we are in a perfect storm of multiple significant tax law changes in the last 14 months, IRS closures due to COVID and reduced headcount when they can work. The IRS issues updates irregularly on their website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

Ira Smilovitz, EA
Leonia, NJ

Maria Ku

May 27, 2021, 2:45:06 PMMay 27
I still have one timely-filed in March 2020 tax return for 2019 waiting for a refund. One W-2 and some interest income, no credits claimed or anything funny. I called Practitioner Priority line, they found it in the system and said nothing is abnormal, it's just waiting (for 14 mos. now) to get processed. 29M others are still waiting, too. IRS says do nothing, sit & wait.

MZB

May 27, 2021, 7:45:27 PMMay 27
On 5/27/2021 2:41 PM, Maria Ku wrote:
> I still have one timely-filed in March 2020 tax return for 2019 waiting for a refund. One W-2 and some interest income, no credits claimed or anything funny. I called Practitioner Priority line, they found it in the system and said nothing is abnormal, it's just waiting (for 14 mos. now) to get processed. 29M others are still waiting, too. IRS says do nothing, sit & wait.

My return was filed/received 2/22. Still processing (2020 tax yr.)

Mel