After tax funds in 403B account; is income after tax also?

Frustrated

Apr 25, 2016, 12:23:55 PM4/25/16
My wife has $90,000 in a TIAA 403B account. The statement says $60,000 is before tax and $30,000 is after tax. (we don't know how it got to be after tax, but that is neither here nor there)
I spoke to an account rep today and she says that we would only have to pay tax on 2/3rd of payments; that the after tax portion was like a Roth IRA.

I asked her if the income on the after tax portion was also after tax. She said no, it was just tax deferred. So it is not actually like a Roth.

So which of her statements is correct? Is the income after tax or tax deferred?

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>

Alan

Apr 26, 2016, 5:32:33 PM4/26/16
On 4/25/16 9:23 AM, Frustrated wrote:
> My wife has $90,000 in a TIAA 403B account. The statement says $60,000 is before tax and $30,000 is after tax. (we don't know how it got to be after tax, but that is neither here nor there)
> I spoke to an account rep today and she says that we would only have to pay tax on 2/3rd of payments; that the after tax portion was like a Roth IRA.
>
> I asked her if the income on the after tax portion was also after tax. She said no, it was just tax deferred. So it is not actually like a Roth.
>
> So which of her statements is correct? Is the income after tax or tax deferred?

The $30K after-tax amount is her basis. Pre-tax contributions and all
earnings grow tax-deferred. She will use Part I of IRS Form 8606 to
compute the tax-free portion of any distribution. The numerator in the
equation will be that $30K basis.