Am I missing form 20221099-G from Calif?

瀏覽次數:17 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Joe User

未讀,
2023年3月12日 凌晨4:17:512023/3/12
收件者:
Am I missing form 2022 1099-G from Calif?

If so, do I really need it? Or can I e-file federal and Calif tax returns without having it physically?

IIRC, we no longer need to "attach" 1099s to tax returns, especially if we e-file. Right?

Even so, is it prudent for me to request a "replacement" 1099-G, just to CYA?

-----

Facts....

In 2022, I e-filed 2021 tax returns that reported a refund on the Calif tax return, form 540 line 97.

But I applied the entire refund to the 2022 estimated tax, form 540 line 98.

Nevertheless, I would expect a 1099-G, even though I did not physically receive payment.

-----

OTOH, I took the federal standard deductions. So any state refund should have no consequence. Right?

And since the Calif tax return includes a copy of the federal tax return, I suppose the Calif FTB might take that into account.

Is that why I did not receive a 1099-G?

-----

Even if so, arguably, the state cannot know (I don't think) if I subsequently filed an amended 1040 where I switched to itemized deductions.

But that's hypothetical, since I did __not__ file an amended 1040, nor did I switch to itemized deductions.

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>

Alan

未讀,
2023年3月12日 下午2:30:042023/3/12
收件者:
On Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 12:17:51 AM UTC-8, Joe User wrote:
> Am I missing form 2022 1099-G from Calif?

Yes, CA should have issued the 1099-G.

> If so, do I really need it? Or can I e-file federal and Calif tax returns without having it physically?

You don't need it.

> IIRC, we no longer need to "attach" 1099s to tax returns, especially if we e-file. Right?

You never attach forms when you e-file. If you filed a paper return, you are supposed to attach any form that has income tax withheld.

> Even so, is it prudent for me to request a "replacement" 1099-G, just to CYA?

Don't waste your time.

Joe User

未讀,
2023年3月12日 下午4:40:192023/3/12
收件者:
On Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 11:30:04 AM UTC-7, Alan wrote:
> Yes, CA should have issued the 1099-G.

Alan, thanks so much for your response.

I had meant to check ftb.ca.gov and post what I learned sooner.

According to ftb.ca.gov (*):

``You received this form because __both__ of the following happened:
- You claimed state income tax payments as an itemized deduction on Schedule A of your Federal Income Tax Return for the tax year listed in Box 3
- You received a refund, credit, or offset of $10 or more``

Conversely (actually contrapositively), since __both__ did not happen (I did not itemize deductions in 2021), I should not expect a 1099-G.

Either way, your response reassures me that I do not need to pursue this further.

Thanks again.

-----
(*) https://www.ftb.ca.gov/file/personal/income-types/information-returns-1099.html
0 則新訊息