2024 Standard Mileage Rates

Adam H. Kerman

Dec 21, 2023, 11:04:24 AM12/21/23
Beginning January 1, 2024

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-24-08.pdf

Thanks to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, provisions of which affect 2018 and
later, there are fewer instances in which mileage is deductible. The
miscellaneous itemized deduction for unreimbursed employee travel
expenses was eliminated. Taxpayers cannot claim a deduction for moving
expenses, unless they are members of the Armed Forces moving to a
permanent change of station.

67 cents per mile for business use, up 1.5 cents from 2023. This
includes 30 cents per mile of depreciation.

21 cents per mile for medical or moving (Armed Forces only), decrease of
1 cent

14 cents per mile charitable, unchanged as it's set by statute

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>

Stan Brown

Dec 21, 2023, 4:40:06 PM12/21/23
On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 11:03:56 EST, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Beginning January 1, 2024
>
> https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-24-08.pdf
>
> 67 cents per mile for business use, up 1.5 cents from 2023. This
> includes 30 cents per mile of depreciation.
>
> 21 cents per mile for medical or moving (Armed Forces only), decrease of
> 1 cent
>
> 14 cents per mile charitable, unchanged as it's set by statute

If a car gets 25 miles a gallon, at $4.50 a gallon for gasoline (on
the low end in California), gasoline _alone_ costs 18 cents a gallon.
The 14 cents a mile figure for charity hardly seems equitable. And
it's worse in states like California, where a formula increases your
car insurance rates based on number of miles driven.

I know, Congress favors business. But it seems especially mean-
spirited not even to let the charitable standard mileage deduction
rise with inflation.

There's no option to take actual costs for medical and charitable
mileages, is there? That's just for businesses, right?

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Adam H. Kerman

Dec 21, 2023, 6:15:16 PM12/21/23
Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 11:03:56 EST, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

>>Beginning January 1, 2024

>>https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-24-08.pdf

>>67 cents per mile for business use, up 1.5 cents from 2023. This
>>includes 30 cents per mile of depreciation.

>>21 cents per mile for medical or moving (Armed Forces only), decrease of
>>1 cent

>>14 cents per mile charitable, unchanged as it's set by statute

>If a car gets 25 miles a gallon, at $4.50 a gallon for gasoline (on
>the low end in California), gasoline _alone_ costs 18 cents a gallon.
>The 14 cents a mile figure for charity hardly seems equitable. And
>it's worse in states like California, where a formula increases your
>car insurance rates based on number of miles driven.

>I know, Congress favors business. But it seems especially mean-
>spirited not even to let the charitable standard mileage deduction
>rise with inflation.

>There's no option to take actual costs for medical and charitable
>mileages, is there? That's just for businesses, right?

No. But you cannot deduct general repair and maintenance nor
depreciation for charitable. I didn't look up car expenses for medical,
but I think it's the same. The difference is if you substantiate the
unreimbursed expenses versus just keeping track of the mileage for the
standard deduction. With charitable, it might behoove the taxpayer to
keep detailed records to justify actual expenses.

I haven't gotten Publ. 526 for 2023, but for 2022, it says,

Out-of-Pocket Expenses in Giving Services

Car expenses. You can deduct as a charitable
contribution any unreimbursed out-of-pocket
expenses, such as the cost of gas and oil, di-
rectly related to the use of your car in giving
services to a charitable organization. You can't
deduct general repair and maintenance expen-
ses, depreciation, registration fees, or the costs
of tires or insurance.

If you don't want to deduct your actual ex-
penses, you can use a standard mileage rate of
14 cents a mile to figure your contribution.
You can deduct parking fees and tolls
whether you use your actual expenses or the
standard mileage rate.

You must keep reliable written records of
your car expenses. For more information, see
Car expenses under Substantiation Require-
ments, later.

Out-of-Pocket Expenses

Car expenses. If you claim expenses directly
related to use of your car in giving services to a
qualified organization, you must keep reliable
written records of your expenses. Whether your
records are considered reliable depends on all
the facts and circumstances. Generally, they
may be considered reliable if you made them
regularly and at or near the time you had the ex-
penses.

For example, your records might show the
name of the organization you were serving and
the dates you used your car for a charitable pur-
pose. If you use the standard mileage rate of 14
cents a mile, your records must show the miles
you drove your car for the charitable purpose. If
you deduct your actual expenses, your records
must show the costs of operating the car that
are directly related to a charitable purpose.