file an amended return or just let it be

MZB

May 12, 2021, 7:28:10 PMMay 12
A friend of mine filed his taxes. He does est. tax payments. He was
expecting large refunds. He files paper, not E-file.
Two weeks later he got his State refund. It was much less than expected
and he learned that he screwed up his statement of prior est. tax
payments. He claimed much more.

Question: Should he file an amended X return, or just leave it be with
the assumption that the Feds will pick up on that and send him the
correct (lower) refund?

What to do?

Mel

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>

paultry

May 13, 2021, 11:44:12 AMMay 13
On 5/12/2021 18:26, MZB wrote:
> A friend of mine filed his taxes. He does est. tax payments.
> He was expecting large refunds. He files paper, not E-file.
> Two weeks later he got his State refund. It was much less
> than expected and he learned that he screwed up his
> statement of prior est. tax payments. He claimed much more.
>
> Question: Should he file an amended X return, or just leave
> it be with the assumption that the Feds will pick up on that
> and send him the correct (lower) refund?
>
> What to do?
>
> Mel

As I understand it, the only issue is your friend claimed
more in estimated payments than was actually paid in. The
IRS will allow only the total of estimated payments received
and properly credited to the account when computing refund
or balance due.