Itemized deductions

Adam H. Kerman

Mar 24, 2023, 6:51:52 PM3/24/23
Starting to work on a tax return, I was going through a lengthy list of
expenses to see which fit into various itemized deductions on Schedule
A. The person never get to take casualty and theft losses.

There's a dog who is always taking towels and anything else that smells
like food. These items are indeed destroyed. This is what the tax code
was getting at, yes?

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>

Tom Russ

Mar 25, 2023, 3:42:55 AM3/25/23
On Friday, March 24, 2023 at 3:51:52 PM UTC-7, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Starting to work on a tax return, I was going through a lengthy list of
> expenses to see which fit into various itemized deductions on Schedule
> A. The person never get to take casualty and theft losses.
>
> There's a dog who is always taking towels and anything else that smells
> like food. These items are indeed destroyed. This is what the tax code
> was getting at, yes?

It doesn't appear that this will qualify as a dog isn't a federally declared disaster.
The rules (Pub 547) say:
"Deductible losses. For tax years 2018 through 2025, if you are an individual, casualty losses of
personal-use property are deductible only if the loss is attributable to a federally declared disaster
(federal casualty loss). "

For a lot more information, see https://www.irs.gov/publications/p547

Even if it did qualify, those would need to be very expensive towels, as one would need to
(a) Deduct $100 from each individual loss.
(b) Deduct 10% of Adjusted Gross Income from the total of all losses.

Finally, the total of all itemized deductions would need to exceed the standard deduction for
it to make sense itemizing.

Adam H. Kerman

Mar 25, 2023, 3:25:00 PM3/25/23
Tom Russ <tar...@google.com> wrote:
>On Friday, March 24, 2023 at 3:51:52 PM UTC-7, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

>>Starting to work on a tax return, I was going through a lengthy list of
>>expenses to see which fit into various itemized deductions on Schedule
>>A. The person never get to take casualty and theft losses.

>>There's a dog who is always taking towels and anything else that smells
>>like food. These items are indeed destroyed. This is what the tax code
>>was getting at, yes?

>It doesn't appear that this will qualify as a dog isn't a federally declared disaster.

He is a very naughty dog.

>The rules (Pub 547) say:
>"Deductible losses. For tax years 2018 through 2025, if you are an individual, casualty losses of
>personal-use property are deductible only if the loss is attributable to a federally declared disaster
>(federal casualty loss). "

>For a lot more information, see https://www.irs.gov/publications/p547

What about a theft? The dog clearly intended to deprive someone else of
the towel, and he wants to be chased. I suppose it's not a theft in any
state's criminal code.

>Even if it did qualify, those would need to be very expensive towels, as one would need to
>(a) Deduct $100 from each individual loss.

Good point. He's never swiped anything that expensive. At some point, he will.