IRA question

Fred J. Tydeman

Dec 17, 2023, 10:25:27 AM12/17/23

I am in my 70s and have an IRA that I inherieted from my mother (who was taking RMDs).
The 1099-R from 2022 (which I assume will be similar to this year) shows
13,000 gross dist
13,000 taxable dist
Taxable amount not determined is checked
2,600 fed tax withheld
Box 7 is "4" death
IRA box is checked.

Now, I enter that into a tax program for 2023
That IRA has no basis.

My wife (age 70) has an IRA with a small basis, but is not taking any distributions.
If I look at 1040-SR, line 4a
IRA distributions is 13,000, but Taxable is ZERO!
I do not understand how my taxable IRA distribution disappeared.

If I have my wife do a 10,000 IRA -> ROTH IRA conversion, then 1040-SR shows
23,000 is IRA distribution, but Taxable is only 9,840
---
Fred J. Tydeman Tydeman Consulting
tyd...@tybor.com Testing, numerics, programming
+1 (702) 608-6093 Vice-chair of INCITS/C (ANSI "C")
Sample C17+FPCE tests: http://www.tybor.com
Savers sleep well, investors eat well, spenders work forever.

--
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>