Sr. Citien Question Please: Printed Copy Of Publ. 17 ? How To Get ?

27 views
Skip to first unread message

Robert11

unread,
Dec 23, 2021, 11:04:46 AM12/23/21
to
Hello,
Will blame it on old age now, so please put up with
a dumb question.

Hard for me to use pc screen these days, and would really like
to get a printed copy of Publ. 17. (Tax Guide For Individuals for 2021 taxes)

I went to the IRS ordering page, and all the Forms are there, but
no Publ 17.

Is there a link, somewhere, to order a printed copy from the IRS ?

Or,...?

Much thanks,
Bob

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>
<< nor can it used, for the purpose of avoiding penalties >>
<< that may be imposed upon the taxpayer. >>
<< >>
<< The Charter and the Guidelines for submitting posts >>
<< to this newsgroup as well as our anti-spamming policy >>
<< are at www.asktax.org. >>
<< Copyright (2011) - All rights reserved. >>
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>

Adam H. Kerman

unread,
Dec 23, 2021, 11:45:04 AM12/23/21
to
Robert11 <rgsr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>. . .

>Hard for me to use pc screen these days, and would really like
>to get a printed copy of Publ. 17. (Tax Guide For Individuals for 2021 taxes)

>I went to the IRS ordering page, and all the Forms are there, but
>no Publ 17.

>Is there a link, somewhere, to order a printed copy from the IRS ?

This page has a search box to order forms.

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/forms-and-publications-by-us-mail

Use "publ" to order a publication.

Payroll tax forms are here

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/online-ordering-for-information-returns-and-employer-returns

I cannot find a way to order Publ 17 by mail. Call the order number and
see if you can still obtain it by mail. Otherwise you'll have to
download the PDF and print out the specific pages you need.

800 TAX-FORM
800 829-3676

This was just published on line for 2021 taxes.
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf

These days, IRS no longer orders mass quantities of printed forms and
publications from GPO. In fact, there are some forms and publications
that are printed on high-speed laser printer as they are ordered, so you
no longer receive them in newsprint.

John Levine

unread,
Dec 23, 2021, 12:15:12 PM12/23/21
to
It appears that Robert11 <rgsr...@gmail.com> said:
>Hard for me to use pc screen these days, and would really like
>to get a printed copy of Publ. 17. (Tax Guide For Individuals for 2021 taxes)

It doesn't look like they offer a printed version any more.

This isn't the same thing, but there is a large print PDF version.
The current one is still for 2020 but I expect the 2021 will be
there soon enough:

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/irs-tax-publications-in-large-print

If you have a printer, I suppose you can print it out.

--
Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly

πŸ˜‰ Good Guy πŸ˜‰

unread,
Dec 23, 2021, 12:15:12 PM12/23/21
to
On 23/12/2021 16:03, Robert11 wrote:
> Hello,
> Will blame it on old age now, so please put up with
> a dumb question.
>
> Hard for me to use pc screen these days, and would really like
> to get a printed copy of Publ. 17. (Tax Guide For Individuals for 2021 taxes)
>
> I went to the IRS ordering page, and all the Forms are there, but
> no Publ 17.
>
> Is there a link, somewhere, to order a printed copy from the IRS ?
>
> Or,...?
>
> Much thanks,
> Bob
>
You can download this file and print it yourself:

<https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf>

Good luck.



--
Windows-10: <news://freenews.netfront.net/alt.comp.os.windows-10>
Windows-8: <news://freenews.netfront.net/alt.comp.os.windows-8>
Windows-7: <news://freenews.netfront.net/alt.windows7.general>
Windows XP: <news://freenews.netfront.net/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general>
Windows-XP: <news://freenews.netfront.net/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general>
Firefox: <news://freenews.netfront.net/alt.comp.software.firefox>
Thunderbird: <news://freenews.netfront.net/alt.comp.software.thunderbird>

Google Groups: <https://groups.google.com/g/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general>

"\"Re...@home.com

unread,
Dec 23, 2021, 2:31:47 PM12/23/21
to


On 12/23/21 12:13 PM, πŸ˜‰ Good Guy πŸ˜‰ wrote:
> On 23/12/2021 16:03, Robert11 wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Will blame it on old age now, so please put up with
>> a dumb question.
>>
>> Hard for me to use pc screen these days, and would really like
>> to getΒ  a printed copy of Publ. 17. (Tax Guide For Individuals for
>> 2021 taxes)
>>
>> I went to the IRS ordering page, and all the Forms are there, but
>> no Publ 17.
>>
>> Is there a link, somewhere, to order a printed copy from the IRS ?
>>
>> Or,...?
>>
>> Much thanks,
>> Bob
>>
> You can download this file and print it yourself:
>
> <https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf>
>
> Good luck.
>
>
>
Did you see where it is 140 pages long ?  😱

πŸ˜‰ Good Guy πŸ˜‰

unread,
Dec 23, 2021, 3:26:57 PM12/23/21
to
On 23/12/2021 19:27, "\"Retired"@home.com wrote:
>
>

> Did you see where it is 140 pages long ? 😱
>
Yes and that is why I said the OP can download the pdf file and print it
out himself. Governments are trying to reduce paper footprints around
the world and we now have online filing of documents etc and all the
help sheets are online to avoid carbon footprint of paper. the OP can
print 140 pages on 35 pages with some ingenuity; i.e. two pages per page
using both sides; Of course you need a laser printer to do it.

--
Man's schemes are inferior to those made by heaven.

"\"Re...@home.com

unread,
Dec 23, 2021, 4:07:27 PM12/23/21
to


On 12/23/21 3:23 PM, πŸ˜‰ Good Guy πŸ˜‰ wrote:
> On 23/12/2021 19:27, "\"Retired"@home.com wrote:
>>
>> Did you see where it is 140 pages long ? 😱
>>
> Yes and that is why I said the OP can download the pdf file and print it
> out himself. Governments are trying to reduce paper footprints around
> the world and we now have online filing of documents etc and all the
> help sheets are online to avoid carbon footprint of paper. the OP can
> print 140 pages on 35 pages with some ingenuity; i.e. two pages per page
> using both sides; Of course you need a laser printer to do it.

Well yes, I suppose he could also just print the the specific pages
covering issues he is having to study up on.

πŸ˜‰ Good Guy πŸ˜‰

unread,
Dec 23, 2021, 5:38:04 PM12/23/21
to
On 23/12/2021 21:02, "\"Retired"@home.com wrote:
>
>
>
> Well yes, I suppose he could also just print the the specific pages
> covering issues he is having to study up on.
>

Exactly. With tax matters for individuals not all pages are relevant;
Professionals who are advising clients need to know "everything" about
taxes but individuals can simply browse the relevant pages and decide if
they are worth printing or not. For general knowledge, it's a good idea
to read everything but time is of essence for most people. Tax is not
something you read at bedtime like a story!

--
"If you must play, decide upon three things at the start: the rules of
the game, the stakes, and the quitting time."

Taxed and Spent

unread,
Dec 23, 2021, 7:44:04 PM12/23/21
to
On 12/23/2021 12:23 PM, πŸ˜‰ Good Guy πŸ˜‰ wrote:
> On 23/12/2021 19:27, "\"Retired"@home.com wrote:
>>
>>
>
>> Did you see where it is 140 pages long ? 😱
>>
> Yes and that is why I said the OP can download the pdf file and print it
> out himself. Governments are trying to reduce paper footprints around
> the world and we now have online filing of documents etc and all the
> help sheets are online to avoid carbon footprint of paper. the OP can
> print 140 pages on 35 pages with some ingenuity; i.e. two pages per page
> using both sides; Of course you need a laser printer to do it.
>


If the OP has difficulty using a PC screen these days, I doubt printing
four pages per sheet is going to help him much.

The ADA requires entities to make reasonable accommodations. Printing
and mailing a few documents for those that require them seems like such
a reasonable accommodation. The masses will still avoid the paper.

OP: call the IRS and tell them you need them to mail you a paper copy,
and that you are unable to print it yourself. Let us know the result
for future reference.

Maria Ku

unread,
Dec 27, 2021, 5:17:00 PM12/27/21
to
AAPR distributes printed copies of Pub 17.

Bob Sandler

unread,
Dec 27, 2021, 6:32:54 PM12/27/21
to
On Mon, 27 Dec 2021 17:16:26 EST, Maria Ku
<maria...@gmail.com> wrote:

>AAPR distributes printed copies of Pub 17.

I thinks that's only for AARP Foundation Tax-Aide
volunteers, and maybe only one copy for each Tax-Aide site,
not for individual volunteers.

Bob Sandler
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages