Timing for reporting gifts over the annual free allowance of $15K.

Not A Clue

Dec 28, 2021, 12:39:11 PM12/28/21
If I transfer some securities (from a brokerage firm) to someone on Dec 23rd and they leave my account on Dec 31st; but the receiving firm doesn't receive them until 1/3/2022. For compliance purpose, do I report the gift in 2021 or 2022?

And if I make a last minute wire transfer of cash (gift), does the same principal apply?

TIA

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>

John Levine

Dec 28, 2021, 2:35:05 PM12/28/21
According to Not A Clue <m8r.j...@gmail.com>:
>If I transfer some securities (from a brokerage firm) to someone on Dec 23rd and they leave my account on Dec 31st; but the receiving firm doesn't receive them until
>1/3/2022. For compliance purpose, do I report the gift in 2021 or 2022?
>
>And if I make a last minute wire transfer of cash (gift), does the same principal apply?

Whenever I do a domestic wire transfer, the sending and receiving
banks invariably report it on the same day. It's the day I made the
request if I do it before the bank's cutoff time, the next business
day otherwise. Stock transfers are more complicated and slower.

I suppose if the recipient is outside the US it could take longer.

--
Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Stuart O. Bronstein

Dec 28, 2021, 2:40:05 PM12/28/21
Not A Clue <m8r.j...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If I transfer some securities (from a brokerage firm) to someone
> on Dec 23rd and they leave my account on Dec 31st; but the
> receiving firm doesn't receive them until 1/3/2022. For
> compliance purpose, do I report the gift in 2021 or 2022?

It's the date you initiate the transfer, not when it is received by the
recipient.

> And if I make a last minute wire transfer of cash (gift), does
> the same principal apply?

Yes.

--
Stu