Form 1099-R or Form 4852 For Foreign Social Security Payments?

tb

Feb 8, 2024, 2:17:06 PMFeb 8
I am a U.S. citizen and reside in the USA.

The Swiss "Social Security Administration" will soon start crediting my
bank account with monthly social security payments.

These payments are not the result of a totalization agreement between
the U.S. and the Swiss social security administrations.

The Swiss government will not be sending me a Form 1099-R at the end of
the year.

My reading of the tax treaty between the U.S.A. and Switzerland is that
I will have to pay taxes in the U.S.A. for such social security
payments.

Since the Swiss "Social Security Administration" will not be sending me
a Form 1099-R, will I have to fill out such form on my own, or perhaps
fill out Form 4852? (In either case I will not be able to supply a
payer's TIN and might have to do a paper return...)

Thanks for your suggestions.

--
tb

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>

Adam H. Kerman

Feb 9, 2024, 12:41:34 PMFeb 9
tb <nos...@example.invalid> wrote:

>I am a U.S. citizen and reside in the USA.

>The Swiss "Social Security Administration" will soon start crediting my
>bank account with monthly social security payments.

>These payments are not the result of a totalization agreement between
>the U.S. and the Swiss social security administrations.

>The Swiss government will not be sending me a Form 1099-R at the end of
>the year.

>My reading of the tax treaty between the U.S.A. and Switzerland is that
>I will have to pay taxes in the U.S.A. for such social security
>payments.

>Since the Swiss "Social Security Administration" will not be sending me
>a Form 1099-R, will I have to fill out such form on my own, or perhaps
>fill out Form 4852? (In either case I will not be able to supply a
>payer's TIN and might have to do a paper return...)

You aren't the payer, so skip the 1099-R. You will have received
statements from the pension administrators so you'll know what you'll
need to report.

Literally, the statement received from US SSA isn't a 1099 but SSA's own form.

tb

Feb 9, 2024, 4:32:16 PMFeb 9
On 2/8/2024 at 7:37:53 PM Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> tb <nos...@example.invalid> wrote:
>
> > I am a U.S. citizen and reside in the USA.
>
> > The Swiss "Social Security Administration" will soon start
> > crediting my bank account with monthly social security payments.
>
> > These payments are not the result of a totalization agreement
> > between the U.S. and the Swiss social security administrations.
>
> > The Swiss government will not be sending me a Form 1099-R at the
> > end of the year.
>
> > My reading of the tax treaty between the U.S.A. and Switzerland is
> > that I will have to pay taxes in the U.S.A. for such social security
> > payments.
>
> > Since the Swiss "Social Security Administration" will not be
> > sending me a Form 1099-R, will I have to fill out such form on my
> > own, or perhaps fill out Form 4852? (In either case I will not be
> > able to supply a payer's TIN and might have to do a paper return...)
>
> You aren't the payer, so skip the 1099-R. You will have received
> statements from the pension administrators so you'll know what you'll
> need to report.
>
> Literally, the statement received from US SSA isn't a 1099 but SSA's
> own form.

Ok, thanks.
Would you report such income on Line 5b, Line 6b, or Line 8 (via
Schedule 1, Line 8z) of the 1040?

--
tb

Adam H. Kerman

Feb 9, 2024, 5:32:46 PMFeb 9
Both 5a and 5b. What part is the taxable part? I'm not sure. If it was
subject to foreign tax as well, don't forget to take the credit.

tb

Feb 9, 2024, 8:43:17 PMFeb 9
On 2/9/24 16:30, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> Both 5a and 5b. What part is the taxable part? I'm not sure. If it was
> subject to foreign tax as well, don't forget to take the credit.

I could not find anything in the tax agreement that would indicate what
part is taxable. I am therefore guessing that 100% is taxable...
--
tb