Re: Free Speech is Becoming Dangerous Again

Fred J McCall

May 30, 2023, 4:36:57 AM5/30/23
In article <u53nuc$1rk5b$2...@dont-email.me>
governo...@gmail.com wrote:

> Democrats are hypocrits and they don't deny it.

The following is a lightly edited transcript of remarks made by
Brooke Goldstein during a Newsweek episode of The Debate about
free speech. You can listen to the podcast here:

First, I want to say, my deepest sympathies and compassion for
Mr. Rushdie. I hope that he recovers soon what happened to him
is absolutely horrific.

And I think the ripple effect is obvious. The deterrent effect
on freedom of speech when it comes to criticizing theology —
specifically, Islamist terrorism — because you might get
physically attacked, you might get assaulted, or you might be
murdered. And obviously Salman Rushdie is not the first or the
last person to have had a fatwa against him.

I actually had a fatwa also against me and my camera crew when
we filmed our movie, The Making of A Martyr. For that movie, I
risked my life to expose the recruitment of innocent Muslim
children towards violence to become suicide and homicide bombers
and child soldiers. And we were threatened as well. And not only
that, we were called Islamophobic by Western media.

And you know what occurred to me? If risking your life to raise
awareness about crimes against Muslim children is anti-Muslim,
what then is pro-Muslim? So hypocrisy abound, and obviously the
threats of violence create a situation which really chills open
and free dialogue about theologically motivated terrorism.

Brooke Goldstein is a human rights attorney, the founder and
executive director of The Lawfare Project, and the author of
Lawfare: The War Against Free Speech.

https://www.newsweek.com/free-speech-becoming-dangerous-again-
opinion-1739525

Fred J McCall