Weed killer cane

marad...@unlisted.com

Jun 1, 2006, 7:29:12 AM6/1/06
When I was a kid in the 50's and 60's my dad had a green cane. It was
a plastic tube about 3 feet long, green in color, and it had a point
on the end that you'd stab into the center of a weed. Stabbing it
released some herbicide. I recall him pouring in some concentrated
herbicide, then adding water, and walking around the lawn stabbing
weeds. These things worked great, were easy to use and would only
spot kill, rather than kill off a whole section of lawn.

I can not find these canes sold anymore. I'd like to try to locate
one on Ebay or something like that. But what were they called?
My intent is to fill with a strong mixture of Roundup to stab and kill
burdock plants.

Mark

Gil Faver

Jun 1, 2006, 9:06:33 AM6/1/06
here's another item, the Walk-a-Wick, not quite what you
described, but possibly of interest.

http://www.griffins.com/products/product_info.asp?pl=EQUIPM&pn=83-1240&p=4&sec=ge

<marad...@UNLISTED.com> wrote in message

Gil Faver

Jun 1, 2006, 9:06:32 AM6/1/06
is this what you are looking for? let us know - looks
interesting.

http://www1.zoysiafarms.com/products/weedstick.html

marad...@unlisted.com

Jun 2, 2006, 4:32:13 AM6/2/06
That is very similar. The one my dad had worked the same as described
in the website for this item. The tip on my dads stick was made of
brass. Pressing it, shot out an amount of weed killer and it came out
of 4 holes spaced 90 degrees apart. I used to do it for him when I
was a kid and it worked good except I recall a few times one or two of
the holes got clogged. It was usually a simple fix and was caused by
crud that got inside.

What I liked about it was that it only killed the weed that was
stabbed and not surrounding plants. I think it's more environmentally
safe too, because you are not using excessive amounts of herbicide,
since only the weed thats stabbed is getting the chemical. I am
really surprised these are not commonly sold in stores anymore,
especially now when environment is always a big factor....

Thanks

Mark
On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 13:06:32 GMT, "Gil Faver" <Rowdy'sb...@ND.com>

Mitch

Jun 2, 2006, 3:05:17 PM6/2/06

They were called "Killer Kanes" and I haven't seen one in years. I was
just a kid then so I have no idea what the herbicide was. My parents
made me dig the dandelions by hand for $0.15 per bucket. I dreamed of
owning one of those canes...

This Google finds some references
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLG%2CGGLG%3A2005-24%2CGGLG%3Aen&q=Killer+Kane+herbicide

Mitch

123go

Jun 2, 2006, 3:12:40 PM6/2/06

"Mitch" <mitch...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

thanks for the link. I see they use 2,4d, came out about 1955 (I guess),
but cannot find any place selling them. If anyone finds a place, let us
know.

Farm1

Jun 3, 2006, 4:21:10 AM6/3/06
<marad...@UNLISTED.com> wrote in message

These are sill freely available in Australia. They are designed to
use with glyphosate. See:
http://www.yates.com.au/Products/WeedControl/GardensPathsDriveways/Zer
oWeedingBrush.asp

tomw...@ymail.com

Jan 29, 2015, 3:09:38 PM1/29/15
Mark;
Not sure of the date of your post but I too am looking for one of these. I found a model made of PVC so you can see in it. If I can just get a picture of the plunger system I can make them and would send you one. Keep looking please.

I think the name was Killer Kane, I have called Scott's company and well as other trying to see if anyone remembered making them.
tom

Jerr...@spamblocked.com

Feb 10, 2015, 5:37:57 AM2/10/15
This is from a 2006 posting, but I also remember these things. My dad
has one on the 60's. He used to make me kill weeds on the lawn. It was
easy to use. Green, semi transparent, about 1-1/4' dia, and 3 ft. long.
There was a cap on the top. The tip was a brass piece about 1/4" dia.
and about an inch long.It was spring loaded, so when you push on it, it
would release spray, and when it was not pressed, nothing came out.
Basically a spring loaded valve. The liquid (herbicide) shot out of 4
small holes around the brass tip. I remember the details well, because
it tended to clog up once and awhile, and dad showed me how to push it
against the sidewalk to make sure all 4 holes would squirt.

Anyhow, I'd like to find one of these myself, but would use a more
modern herbicide. I have not seen them sold in many years.

The whole cane part could be made from 1-1/4" PVC pipe, and a pipe cap
on the top. But how to make the tip with the valve would take some
engineering. I'm trying to think of some sort of auto or tractor part
that would work for the valve. Maybe the accelerator pump from a
carburetor or soemthing like that.....

It appears that "KILLER KANE" was the name, and I found this website
with trademark info, dated 1/24/1956 and expired 10/28/2006.
Registered to "Wellmark International".
http://www.trademarkia.com/killer-kane-71684199.html

I could not find much else on the web, not even a picture....

I was hoping to find a diagram, user manual, or repair manual. But that
trademark info was about all I could find, which is just text with no
pictures or info.

JAS

Feb 10, 2015, 8:58:20 AM2/10/15
Jerr...@spamblocked.com wrote:
> KILLER KANE
Try reading here,might find something.
http://tinyurl.com/kp57o4y

Pico Rico

Feb 18, 2015, 8:54:03 PM2/18/15

llhe...@gmail.com

May 8, 2015, 10:14:17 AM5/8/15
I have two of them...they are called killer Kane and use pellets . drop.
One in the top and add water.. They also have pellets for ants and fertilizer. There is a hardware store in waterville minnesota that I think still has them. That's where I got the pellets from. He stocks all kinds of items from the past.. You can hardly walk down the isle because of all the stuff..

kevz...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2016, 6:34:39 PM9/8/16
That product was called The Killer Cane. I made several bongs out of them in the early 70's. It was a coincidence that my nickname was/is Killer Kane. They are not made any longer.

freedo...@gmail.com

Oct 9, 2016, 9:47:57 AM10/9/16
On Thursday, June 1, 2006 at 4:29:12 AM UTC-7, marad...@unlisted.com wrote:
Mark,
My company; FreedomWeeder Co. LLC, produce an improved similar device. Our product, FreedomWeeder (3in1) gives you three dispensing options.
a. Self cleaning spot applicator - pinpoint herbicide application
b. Trigger sprayer - wide area herbicide application
c. Drizzle streaming - for along sidewalks, driveways, patios, herbicide application

My company has an organic herbicide recipe which will eradicate your burdock plant problem. This recipe is free to you when you purchase FreedomWeeder! Read some testimonials on our website, people love our products, they're environmentally safe!

You may email me; cont...@freedomweeder.com or go to www.freedomweeder.com
Look forward to assisting with your problem!
Johnny T.

kbko...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2017, 6:33:49 PM4/21/17
On Thursday, June 1, 2006 at 4:29:12 AM UTC-7, marad...@unlisted.com wrote:
Your description fits the Killer Kane. Used to put tablets (they called them Kartridges) into the Kane, but I cant find the tablets anymore. I do use diluted Weed-Be-Gone in mine.

wespet...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2018, 3:13:28 PM4/29/18
I found my grandfathers yesterday! I wish I could find refills, it only had three tablets left. I hadn't thought of this thing in years. Randomly saw it in my aunt's garage tucked in a corner.

td1...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2018, 1:59:40 PM6/21/18
I have one. It was from late 70's. It still works great. I can't find them for sale anywhere. I was going to get some as gifts for my kids. I mix a gallon of weed killer and fill up the Kane as needed.

td1...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2018, 2:00:29 PM6/21/18

cont...@freedomweeder.com

Mar 25, 2019, 7:30:13 AM3/25/19
Mark, good morning. In response to your posting, my company manufactures and sells a product much like you describe above. FreedomWeeder offers the user 3 different ways you apply herbicide and kill weeds. We also offer a kid, pet, and environmental safe DIY herbicide recipe you make at home. For complete details, go to: www.freedomweeder.com

stevemi...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2020, 12:33:45 AM3/14/20

Bob Wall

Jun 24, 2021, 10:40:35 PM6/24/21
15 years later, here we are, bigger'n all get out... I remember my dad using the same/similar device in the early-60's. It was called a "Killer Cane" and it used water soluble tablets lie "Fizzies" mixed with water, The application was made by pushing down on the spring-loaded rod, which released the herbicide onto the weed with a 1-2" diameter.

YK

Jun 25, 2021, 1:33:44 PM6/25/21
Yes and as I remember it seemed to work quite good. However, I'm sure
there was chemical, in the tablet, that has long since been outlawed.

YK

Robert Luskin

May 8, 2023, 3:46:04 PM5/8/23