Still get AMBER alerts without a SIM card?

Ant

Jan 8, 2016, 2:50:10 PM1/8/16
Hello.

This morning, I got an annoying AMBER alert notification on a borrowed
work's SIMless iPhone 6 (iOS v9.2) from yesterday. I thought AMBER alert
only works through cellular service? Does it also come through Internet
connections? If so, then from where (Apple?)? I know, iOS always show
"Searching ..." in its top corner next to the wifi logo.

Work's SIMless Samsung Galaxy S6 edge (Android) didn't get this AMBER
alert. According to
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/samsung-galaxy-s6-guide,review-2856-7.html ,
I should have "Emergency alerts" in its Messages app's settings, but it
doesn't. So, how is iPhone doing it without a SIM card? :/

Thank you in advance. :)
--
Quote of the Week: "The ant's a centaur in his dragon world. Pull down
thy vanity, it is not man... Made courage, or made order, or made

Jolly Roger

Jan 8, 2016, 3:00:53 PM1/8/16
Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:

> According to
> http://www.tomsguide.com/us/samsung-galaxy-s6-guide,review-2856-7.html ,
> I should have "Emergency alerts" in its Messages app's settings, but it
> doesn't.

On iOS 9, the setting is at Settings > Notifications > Amber Alerts (all
the way at the bottom).

JR

Ant

Jan 8, 2016, 3:14:55 PM1/8/16
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On iOS 9, the setting is at Settings > Notifications > Amber Alerts (all
> the way at the bottom).

Right, but I still want to know how it still can get AMBER alerts
without a SIM card.

Jolly Roger

Jan 8, 2016, 5:56:39 PM1/8/16
On 2016-01-08, Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> On iOS 9, the setting is at Settings > Notifications > Amber Alerts (all
>> the way at the bottom).
>
> Right, but I still want to know how it still can get AMBER alerts
> without a SIM card.

*shrug*

I don't care as long as I can enable/disable it.

JF Mezei

Jan 8, 2016, 7:01:55 PM1/8/16
On 2016-01-08 15:14, Ant wrote:

> Right, but I still want to know how it still can get AMBER alerts
> without a SIM card.

I see 2 possibilities:

Apple does it via its servers and is part of the group of companies
mandated to support it.

or

the phone still has minimal connection to one or many carriers, in order
to allow emergency 911 calls for instance, and that mininal connection
might include reception of amber alerts. (in which case, it would show
that even without a SIM, a phone's IMEI could be tracked by the carrier)

Your Name

Jan 8, 2016, 7:31:41 PM1/8/16
In article <56904df2$0$13144$c3e8da3$cc4f...@news.astraweb.com>, JF
Yep, it's a legal requirement in many places that the phone can still
call emergency numbers (911, 999, 111, etc. depending on where you are)
even without any plan / pre-pay credit or a SIM card. Presumably
Government-issued alerts are similar, but the preference allows users
to turn those off.

It's similar with public phone boxes - dialing emergency numbers is
free.

Ant

Jan 8, 2016, 8:22:18 PM1/8/16
Interesting and thanks all.

Your Name

Jan 8, 2016, 8:34:05 PM1/8/16
In article <ofCdnbxB8-ZX_Q3L...@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:
> Your Name <Your...@yourisp.com> wrote:
> > In article <56904df2$0$13144$c3e8da3$cc4f...@news.astraweb.com>, JF
> > Mezei <jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote:

> > > I see 2 possibilities:
> > >
> > > Apple does it via its servers and is part of the group of companies
> > > mandated to support it.
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > the phone still has minimal connection to one or many carriers, in order
> > > to allow emergency 911 calls for instance, and that mininal connection
> > > might include reception of amber alerts. (in which case, it would show
> > > that even without a SIM, a phone's IMEI could be tracked by the carrier)
>
> > Yep, it's a legal requirement in many places that the phone can still
> > call emergency numbers (911, 999, 111, etc. depending on where you are)
> > even without any plan / pre-pay credit or a SIM card. Presumably
> > Government-issued alerts are similar, but the preference allows users
> > to turn those off.
>
> > It's similar with public phone boxes - dialing emergency numbers is
> > free.
>
> Interesting and thanks all.

Basically the SIM card is your account with a cell service provider.
The cellphone itself is fully functional - no doubt there are hacks
around to provide free cell phone service, whether that's via a
software hack on the phone or an illegal SIM card.

You wouldn't get Amber Alerts on an iPod Touch because it doesn't have
the cell phone hardware. I'm not sure about a cell-enable iPad, but
that is cell *data* rather than cell *phone*, so possibly not there
either (you can't make emergency phone calls from an iPad).

Davoud

Jan 8, 2016, 11:45:08 PM1/8/16
Ant:
> This morning, I got an annoying AMBER alert notification on a borrowed
> work's SIMless iPhone 6...

Yes, the law requires that emergency services be available to all
mobile phones, SIM or no SIM. You can turn off the Amber alerts. Feel
sorry for the lost little devils (taken by parents, mostly) but I am
unlikely to jump in my Humvee and start scouring the hills and gullies
looking for them.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

willow...@gmail.com

Jul 18, 2017, 8:54:53 PM7/18/17
here something we got an amber alert on a phone with no sim card or internet connection and it shouldn't do that

nospam

Jul 18, 2017, 10:14:03 PM7/18/17
In article <b439599c-f17f-4cac...@googlegroups.com>,
<willow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> here something we got an amber alert on a phone with no sim card or internet
> connection and it shouldn't do that

yes it should.

or you could turn it off.

Lewis

Jul 20, 2017, 1:06:09 AM7/20/17
In message <b439599c-f17f-4cac...@googlegroups.com> willow...@gmail.com <willow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> here something we got an amber alert on a phone with no sim card or internet connection and it shouldn't do that

What makes you think that?

Also, disable the stupid Amber alerts which, at least in my experience,
are misused 100% of the time.

--
Clicked "Debug" button. Program still has bugs. Wtf? - Rich Seigel

Hugybear

Jul 20, 2017, 2:19:37 AM7/20/17
Am 20.07.17 um 07:02 schrieb Lewis:
> In message <b439599c-f17f-4cac...@googlegroups.com> willow...@gmail.com <willow...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> here something we got an amber alert on a phone with no sim card or internet connection and it shouldn't do that
>
> What makes you think that?
>
> Also, disable the stupid Amber alerts which, at least in my experience,
> are misused 100% of the time.

Really?
I thought that only gouvernment agencies and law enforcement can use the
amber alert.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Lewis

Jul 21, 2017, 1:20:55 AM7/21/17
And?

--
Oh, he's just like any other man, only more so.

Hugybear

Jul 21, 2017, 1:42:23 AM7/21/17
Am 21.07.17 um 07:16 schrieb Lewis:
The statistics are against you.
*PLONK*

--
Ex iniuria ius non oritur

Lewis

Jul 21, 2017, 9:04:48 AM7/21/17
The failings of improperly teaching ESL.

--
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
Winston Churchill

rbart...@cogeco.ca

Feb 28, 2019, 8:41:06 AM2/28/19
Good day one and all,
I have done weeks worth of research on this. Apparently, apple is being pressured by the government and doesn’t have the power to allow customers choices anymore.
Apple has removed the amber alerts column on all iPhones destined for Canada because they are pussies. They have also removed the SIM card apps column just to make sure you +ant stop the bullshit alerts. Your local carrier is also In on the action. If you get an iPhone 4 or newer you don’t get to be treated with respect. The choice is gone. The Canadian government is th3 problem, we are no longer allowed to make informed choices. You are being dictated to , as to how your personal device is used .
Just some info.... most android phones still have the choice. Maybe apple, given enough people no longer purchasing their product will give the choice back
JUST STOP GETTING APPLE PRODUCTS!!! This is the only way apple will stand for the customer.

Alan Browne

Feb 28, 2019, 11:10:28 AM2/28/19
Could you translate that to coherent please?

--
"2/3 of Donald Trump's wives were immigrants. Proof that we
need immigrants to do jobs that most Americans wouldn't do."

Joerg Lorenz

Feb 28, 2019, 12:42:50 PM2/28/19
Am 28.02.19 um 14:41 schrieb rbart...@cogeco.ca:
> Good day one and all,
> I have done weeks worth of research on this. Apparently, apple is being pressured by the government and doesn’t have the power to allow customers choices anymore.
> Apple has removed the amber alerts column on all iPhones destined for Canada because they are pussies. They have also removed the SIM card apps column just to make sure you +ant stop the bullshit alerts. Your local carrier is also In on the action. If you get an iPhone 4 or newer you don’t get to be treated with respect. The choice is gone. The Canadian government is th3 problem, we are no longer allowed to make informed choices.. You are being dictated to , as to how your personal device is used .
> Just some info.... most android phones still have the choice. Maybe apple, given enough people no longer purchasing their product will give the choice back
> JUST STOP GETTING APPLE PRODUCTS!!! This is the only way apple will stand for the customer.

Troll!

Lewis

Feb 28, 2019, 2:25:50 PM2/28/19
In message <7f3b8932-0b12-4ed1...@googlegroups.com> rbart...@cogeco.ca <rbart...@cogeco.ca> wrote:
> Good day one and all,
> I have done weeks worth of research on this. Apparently, apple is
> being pressured by the government and doesn’t have the power to allow
> customers choices anymore. Apple has removed the amber alerts column
> on all iPhones destined for Canada because they are pussies.

I don't know what an "amber alerts column" is.

Are you complaining that Apple is complying with your country's laws?

Sounds like you need to complain to your government.

> They have also removed the SIM card apps column

Once again, no idea what this means. But see above.

> Just some info.... most android phones still have the choice.
> Maybe apple, given enough people no longer purchasing their product
> will give the choice back JUST STOP GETTING APPLE PRODUCTS!!! This
> is the only way apple will stand for the customer.

Apple cannot change Canadian law.

Also, the entire Canadian market is a rounding error.

--
It was long ago and it was far away / And it was so much better than it
is today

JF Mezei

Feb 28, 2019, 6:49:17 PM2/28/19
On 2019-02-28 08:41, rbart...@cogeco.ca wrote:

> Apple has removed the amber alerts column on all iPhones destined for Canada because they are pussies.

No. Canadian Carriers built profiles to disable those menus. Many menus
in iPhones are disabled by carriers. For instance, AT&T disables the
manual network secltion menu because they don't want you to be able to
check whether T-Mobile has coverage.

In the specific case of Canada, the CRTC decided that alerts are to be
all "presidential alerts" which is an alert you are not allowed to
disable. They are meant for true emergencies (tsunami about to engulf
Manhattan, run up the stairs as high as you can).

Because those alerts cannot be disabled, and because Canada decided that
simple Amer alerts are to be sent as thos truyly important imminent
catastrophy alerts, there is no point to let you disable amber alerts on
a phone because you never get amber alerts in Canada, you get
presidential alerts.

sms

Feb 28, 2019, 8:11:22 PM2/28/19
On 2/28/2019 3:49 PM, JF Mezei wrote:
> On 2019-02-28 08:41, rbart...@cogeco.ca wrote:
>>
>> Apple has removed the amber alerts column on all iPhones destined for Canada because they are pussies.
>
> No. Canadian Carriers built profiles to disable those menus. Many menus
> in iPhones are disabled by carriers. For instance, AT&T disables the
> manual network secltion menu because they don't want you to be able to
> check whether T-Mobile has coverage.

LOL, no, they don't want you to try to roam.

felixao...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2019, 6:17:22 AM8/16/19
I have a solution that may work, depending on a lot of factors (including if you have an unused SIM card lying around). If you have an old phone that you used to use that has an old SIM card that you used to use, but no longer has service, put that in the phone. This should allow you to turn off the alerts. It worked in the new phone I bought to use with no SIM, but your results may vary.

Lewis

Aug 16, 2019, 11:36:48 AM8/16/19
In message <698b386b-07a7-460f...@googlegroups.com> felixao...@gmail.com <felixao...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a solution that may work, depending on a lot of factors (including if you have an unused SIM card lying around). If you have an old phone that you used to use that has an old SIM card that you used to use, but no longer has service, put that in the phone. This should allow you to turn off the alerts. It worked in the new phone I bought to use with no SIM, but your results may vary.

Learn to post. 72 characters per line is a good guideline for USENET.

--
I've got a sonic screwdriver!
Yeah? I've got a chair!

Shalonda Moffett

Feb 20, 2022, 11:23:41 AM2/20/22
On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 10:36:48 AM UTC-5, Lewis wrote:
> In message <698b386b-07a7-460f...@googlegroups.com> felixao...@gmail.com <felixao...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *** snip ***!
> Learn to post. 72 characters per line is a good guideline for USENET.
>
> --
> I've got a sonic screwdriver!
> Yeah? I've got a chair!
> Chairs *are* useful.

jackass just repeated the problem by quoting his wide ass post lol.

Lewis

Feb 20, 2022, 6:36:44 PM2/20/22
Getting someone else to post how you prefer is futile. If your browser
is so broken in 2022 that it cannot wrap lines, that is a YOU problem,
not a them problem.

And my posts *are* in fact wrapped, so it is doubly a you problem.

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"I think so, Brain, but would Danish flies work just as well?"

G34H ONYOUTUBE

Mar 30, 2023, 6:16:06 PM3/30/23
can you Still Get Them On A S3 Samsung?

(Sorry its The only NON busted screen phone)