Deleting 100APPLE, 100CLOUD, 101APPLE folders from iPhone 7, via Computer Didn't Work

sms

Aug 23, 2021, 11:44:01 AM8/23/21
This morning I was copying all the photos and videos out of the DCIM
folder on an iPhone 7. The phone was plugged into a Windows 10 laptop.

When I was done copying everything to the computer, I tried, from the
computer, to delete the 100APPLE, 100CLOUD, 101APPLE folders to remove
all the photos and videos from the iPhone. It didn't work, the iPhone
would not allow the folders to be removed. I had to go into each folder,
and remove the files in each one. Even when the folders were empty, the
iPhone would not allow the three folders under the DCIM folder to be
removed.

It's no big deal, but was there a way to remove those folders by doing
it on the phone since I could not do it from the computer? I couldn't
try it on the phone because my wife was answering calls at the same time
I was on the computer deleting the content in each of the DCIM sub-folders.

nospam

Aug 23, 2021, 11:58:00 AM8/23/21
In article <sg0fo0$gmt$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> When I was done copying everything to the computer, I tried, from the
> computer, to delete the 100APPLE, 100CLOUD, 101APPLE folders to remove
> all the photos and videos from the iPhone. It didn't work, the iPhone
> would not allow the folders to be removed. I had to go into each folder,
> and remove the files in each one. Even when the folders were empty, the
> iPhone would not allow the three folders under the DCIM folder to be
> removed.
>
> It's no big deal, but was there a way to remove those folders by doing
> it on the phone since I could not do it from the computer? I couldn't
> try it on the phone because my wife was answering calls at the same time
> I was on the computer deleting the content in each of the DCIM sub-folders.

there's no reason to do that and every reason to leave it the fuck
alone.

Joerg Lorenz

Aug 23, 2021, 12:42:24 PM8/23/21
Am 23.08.21 um 17:43 schrieb sms:
How stupid must you be to try that?
There is no reason on earth to do that except to destroy the device.
Take a hammer and destroy the iPhone7, period.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 23, 2021, 1:18:05 PM8/23/21
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> asked
> When I was done copying everything to the computer, I tried, from the
> computer, to delete the 100APPLE, 100CLOUD, 101APPLE folders to remove
> all the photos and videos from the iPhone. It didn't work, the iPhone
> would not allow the folders to be removed.

Only Apple would come up with such an idiotic set of redundant folders.
Most iOS owners are blissfully unaware of Apple's folder design idiocy.
That ignorant bliss is because most Apple do things only Apple's way.

As you're finding out, Apple limits almost everything you'd want to do.

What I do successfully with my iPads is delete those idiotic and certainly
unnecessary series of redundant sub folders by plugging the USB to Linux.

Linux not only accesses the entire iOS file system but it allows read/write.
Windows won't, and if you install iTunes, you end up having less (not more).

nospam

Aug 23, 2021, 1:26:06 PM8/23/21
In article <sg0l8b$1iqh$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Robin Goodfellow
<Ancient...@Heaven.Net> wrote:

> > When I was done copying everything to the computer, I tried, from the
> > computer, to delete the 100APPLE, 100CLOUD, 101APPLE folders to remove
> > all the photos and videos from the iPhone. It didn't work, the iPhone
> > would not allow the folders to be removed.
>
> Only Apple would come up with such an idiotic set of redundant folders.

they're not redundant and all digital cameras do that.

some cameras create new folders every 100 photos and others every 1000
photos.

you continue to demonstrate your stupidity with every post, arlen.

<https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/1300277>
I'ved noticed when I removed my Compact Flash card from my
Canon Rebel EX and inserted into my PC Compacf flash slot, I
noticed on the monitor screen, after clicking COMPACTFlash,
Canon 100, Canon 101, and Canon 102.

I removed my pictures from Canon 102, and than I found out
I also had some past digital pics that I thought I loss in Canon 101.

Can anyone tell me what is Canon 100, 101, and 102?

..

These are just the names the camera gives to the folders in which it
organises your pictures. Every 100 pictures a new folder is created.
Some people are annoyed by this behavior of the camera, but once
you know what it's doing, you know to copy pictures from all the
folders to your computer.

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 23, 2021, 3:11:40 PM8/23/21
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> asked
>> Only Apple would come up with such an idiotic set of redundant folders.
>
> they're not redundant and all digital cameras do that.

What's obvious is how ignorant you prove to be on Android folders.
None of my Android phones create those Apple idiotic numerical folders.

In Android there is generally the following sensible folder hierarchy:
DCIM/Camera/{photos}

I have _multiple_ Camera ports and they _still_ create sensible names.
The OP has every right to want to delete idiotically named Apple folders.

> some cameras create new folders every 100 photos and others every 1000
> photos.

The OP clearly stated he didn't want the Apple idiotic folders.
The OP has the right to remove those folders Apple idiotically created.
I told the OP how to remove the idiotic folders that Apple created.

Most iOS owners would never see these idiotically named folders.
That's because most iOS owners are completely clueless how things work.
Most owners do EXACTLY what Apple tells them to using only Apple tools.

Tools like iTunes bloatware (which, if you install it, actually reduces the
functionality of file copies between the iOS device & Windows over USB).

There's a reason Apple deprecated iTunes on every platform except Windows.
(And on Windows Apple _stopped_ testing iTunes for zero-day holes long ago.)

sms

Aug 23, 2021, 3:34:40 PM8/23/21
On 8/23/2021 12:11 PM, Robin Goodfellow wrote:
> nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> asked
>>> Only Apple would come up with such an idiotic set of redundant folders.
>>
>> they're not redundant and all digital cameras do that.
>
> What's obvious is how ignorant you prove to be on Android folders.
> None of my Android phones create those Apple idiotic numerical folders.

I don't mind the iPhone creating those folders to prevent too many
photos in a single folder, but it's odd that once the contents of the
folders are removed that the folders can't be removed, or the folders
can't just be deleted with the contents still in them.

Chris

Aug 23, 2021, 4:55:09 PM8/23/21
Robin Goodfellow <Ancient...@Heaven.Net> wrote:
> sms <scharf...@geemail.com> asked
>> When I was done copying everything to the computer, I tried, from the
>> computer, to delete the 100APPLE, 100CLOUD, 101APPLE folders to remove
>> all the photos and videos from the iPhone. It didn't work, the iPhone
>> would not allow the folders to be removed.
>
> Only Apple would come up with such an idiotic set of redundant folders.

It's part of the DCF standard that all digital cameras (incl. smartphones)
comply with.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_rule_for_Camera_File_system

> Most iOS owners are blissfully unaware of Apple's folder design idiocy.
> That ignorant bliss is because most Apple do things only Apple's way.

Apple isn't the one being ignorant, here.

nospam

Aug 23, 2021, 5:26:17 PM8/23/21
In article <sg0rta$rkb$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Robin Goodfellow
<Ancient...@Heaven.Net> wrote:

> None of my Android phones create those Apple idiotic numerical folders.

they do if you shoot enough photos.

all digital cameras do that due to limitations in the file system.

Joerg Lorenz

Aug 23, 2021, 5:32:43 PM8/23/21
Am 23.08.21 um 22:55 schrieb Chris:
> Robin Goodfellow <Ancient...@Heaven.Net> wrote:
>> Most iOS owners are blissfully unaware of Apple's folder design idiocy.
>> That ignorant bliss is because most Apple do things only Apple's way.
>
> Apple isn't the one being ignorant, here.

Only ignorants forcefully want to delete system-folders. ;-)

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 23, 2021, 5:48:00 PM8/23/21
Chris <ithi...@gmail.com> asked

>> Only Apple would come up with such an idiotic set of redundant folders.
>
> It's part of the DCF standard that all digital cameras (incl. smartphones)
> comply with.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_rule_for_Camera_File_system

Are you seriously claiming Android phone photo folders are _not_ of the form
/DCIM/Camera/{photos]

>> Most iOS owners are blissfully unaware of Apple's folder design idiocy.
>> That ignorant bliss is because most Apple do things only Apple's way.
>
> Apple isn't the one being ignorant, here.

You're right that it's you who is being ignorant here if you are seriously
trying to claim that Android photo folders aren't commonly of the form
/DCIM/Camera/{photos]

Besides, Android lets you _delete_ those folders.
The OP is saying that Apple won't.

You say I'm ignorant even though I know more than you do.
You say I'm ignorant even though I gave the OP a working solution.

What's your solution for the OP to do what the OP wants to do?
Or, are you also ignorant of that too?

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 23, 2021, 5:51:18 PM8/23/21
Joerg Lorenz <hugy...@gmx.ch> asked
>> Apple isn't the one being ignorant, here.
>
> Only ignorants forcefully want to delete system-folders. ;-)

On Android, there are a hundred ways to arrange Camera folders.
(That's because people arrange Android folders as they see fit.)

On iOS, there are none.

What does that tell you about the difference in capability and flexibility?

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 23, 2021, 5:57:53 PM8/23/21
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> asked
>> What's obvious is how ignorant you prove to be on Android folders.
>> None of my Android phones create those Apple idiotic numerical folders.
>
> I don't mind the iPhone creating those folders to prevent too many
> photos in a single folder, but it's odd that once the contents of the
> folders are removed that the folders can't be removed, or the folders
> can't just be deleted with the contents still in them.

I agree with & understand your desire as I delete idiotic Apple folders too.

Most Apple users don't know about these idiotically named folders because
Apple users tend to be on the low end of the technology scale, mainly
because Apple owners tend to do things only the Apple prescribed way.

On Android you can set up _any_ folder hierarchy you want for your Camera.
(At least any decent Camera app will let _you_ choose the hierarchy.)
You can even put the Camera folders on the sdcard with a decent Camera app.

With iOS you lack all those hundreds of choices that Android gives you.

Certainly if the idiotically named iOS Camera folder is empty you should be
able to delete it. I delete them all the time using the way I described.

Ant

Aug 23, 2021, 5:59:25 PM8/23/21
Why destroy a perfectly working iPhone?
--
Quake 1 game is 25! Too many free game trials right now!
| |o o| |

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 23, 2021, 6:03:00 PM8/23/21
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> asked
>> None of my Android phones create those Apple idiotic numerical folders.
>
> they do if you shoot enough photos.
>
> all digital cameras do that due to limitations in the file system.

On Android, the good apps let you choose not only the folder hierarchy that
photos are saved to by any Camera app you install, but the good Camera apps
allow to you set the file name such that all names are informative & unique
(for example, you can use the unique time & date stamp) when they're saved.

Do you have that power and flexibility that many Android apps have, on iOS?

sms

Aug 23, 2021, 6:06:48 PM8/23/21
On 8/23/2021 1:55 PM, Chris wrote:

<snip>

> It's part of the DCF standard that all digital cameras (incl. smartphones)
> comply with.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_rule_for_Camera_File_system

So what do you do to remove a folder that you've deleted all the photos
from? It appears to not be possible (other than perhaps by doing a
system reset). I saw one answer: "iOS does not allow you to delete them,
therefore Windows shows an error message,"
<https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/383294/how-could-i-delete-dcim-sub-folders-in-iphone>.

The folders don't hurt anything by being there. The only annoyance was
that instead of removing all the photos by just deleting the three
folders I had to go into each folder individually, select all the
photos, then do a delete. If there had been a lot more than just three
folders then it would have been more of a hassle.

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 23, 2021, 6:06:51 PM8/23/21
Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> asked
>> How stupid must you be to try that?
>> There is no reason on earth to do that except to destroy the device.
>> Take a hammer and destroy the iPhone7, period.
>
> Why destroy a perfectly working iPhone?

What Joerg Lorenz was likely saying was that if you try to do anything
outside of what Apple told you to do, it will likely destroy the iPhone.

In fact, just to _want_ to do something outside of what Apple tells you to
do, will destroy the iPhone (as in this case), according to Joerg Lorenz.

There should be no desire outside of the way Apple tells you to do things.

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 23, 2021, 6:15:33 PM8/23/21
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> asked
> So what do you do to remove a folder that you've deleted all the photos?

Many people have asked the same question of iOS.
https://www.google.com/search?q=delete+apple101+folder+ios

Hundreds of people added to the count when it was asked of Apple.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7458222

Many others asked elsewhere how to delete the idiotically named folders.
https://helpdesk.macroplant.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018857254-How-to-delete-all-photos-from-an-iPhone-or-iPad
https://www.eehelp.com/question/delete-the-dcim-subfolders-100apple-folder/
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/aru4sm/get_rid_of_101apple_folders/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/too-many-picture-folders-under-dcim.1961212/
https://misc.phone.mobile.iphone.narkive.com/gLcHigHu/is-there-a-way-not-to-have-these-huge-100apple100-101apple-dcim-directories

On Android, there would be so many ways that you wouldn't need to ask.

This is yet another case of Apple telling you their one & only way to do it.
Which is that you can't.

nospam

Aug 23, 2021, 6:21:12 PM8/23/21
In article <sg165m$q06$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> So what do you do to remove a folder that you've deleted all the photos
> from?

nothing. just ignore it.

> The folders don't hurt anything by being there.

exactly the point.

> The only annoyance was
> that instead of removing all the photos by just deleting the three
> folders I had to go into each folder individually, select all the
> photos, then do a delete. If there had been a lot more than just three
> folders then it would have been more of a hassle.

user error.

there is no need to individually go into each subfolder for any digital
camera to transfer photos.

the easiest method is to set up automatic transfer, then connect the
camera and let the computer do the work for you.

even easier is via the cloud but that won't work for traditional
cameras.

sms

Aug 23, 2021, 6:28:48 PM8/23/21
On 8/23/2021 2:59 PM, Ant wrote:
> Joerg Lorenz <hugy...@gmx.ch> wrote:
>> Am 23.08.21 um 17:43 schrieb sms:
>>> This morning I was copying all the photos and videos out of the DCIM
>>> folder on an iPhone 7. The phone was plugged into a Windows 10 laptop.
>>>
>>> When I was done copying everything to the computer, I tried, from the
>>> computer, to delete the 100APPLE, 100CLOUD, 101APPLE folders to remove
>>> all the photos and videos from the iPhone. It didn't work, the iPhone
>>> would not allow the folders to be removed. I had to go into each folder,
>>> and remove the files in each one. Even when the folders were empty, the
>>> iPhone would not allow the three folders under the DCIM folder to be
>>> removed.
>>>
>>> It's no big deal, but was there a way to remove those folders by doing
>>> it on the phone since I could not do it from the computer? I couldn't
>>> try it on the phone because my wife was answering calls at the same time
>>> I was on the computer deleting the content in each of the DCIM sub-folders.
>

>> How stupid must you be to try that?
>> There is no reason on earth to do that except to destroy the device.
>> Take a hammer and destroy the iPhone7, period.
>
> Why destroy a perfectly working iPhone?

LOL. Joerg is wrong of course™.

The reason that I tried to delete those three folders was because I
wanted to delete all the photos on the device after I had copied them
over to a computer. Since that kind of deletion is not permitted, I had
to go into each folder, select all the files in the folder, and delete
those files, with the empty folders remaining. Not a big deal, just odd,
and a minor annoyance. If I'd have had a large number of photo folders
it would have been more of an annoyance.

Normally, a file system on a camera or an Android device allows you to
delete folders under the DCIM directory, along with all their contents.
Of course it doesn't destroy the device. Then the camera or the phone
recreates those folders, as needed.

It's odd that Jorge believes that deleting folders, that the phone
created as photos were taken, would destroy a device. But most of us
here have long since given up trying to understand why he says what he
says and if he really believes his own words. It's like the My Pillow
guy that doesn't really believe that the election was stolen, but
somehow feels compelled to keep insisting that it was.

sms

Aug 23, 2021, 6:38:14 PM8/23/21
On 8/23/2021 3:15 PM, Robin Goodfellow wrote:
> sms <scharf...@geemail.com> asked
>> So what do you do to remove a folder that you've deleted all the photos?
>
> Many people have asked the same question of iOS.
> https://www.google.com/search?q=delete+apple101+folder+ios
>
> Hundreds of people added to the count when it was asked of Apple.
> https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7458222

Yeah, the person at <https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7458222> had
265 folders in the DCIM folder. To go into all 265 of those, select all
the photos in each one, then delete them, would have been a big task.

Apparently there actually is a way to remove the folders, and the
contents, but you have to Jailbreak your device to do so, see
<https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/187797/how-do-i-delete-empty-dcim-folders-from-my-iphone>
(presumably you can also remove non-empty folders): "If your iDevice is
jailbroken you can install iFile from Cydia in that device and then you
will be able to access the file system directly. In
/var/mobile/Media/DCIM there are empty folders that you mentioned. You
can delete them manually (rmdir empty_folder_name)."

If you're getting ready to decommission a phone I guess you could do a
system reset which would accomplish removing all the old photos and
folders.

nospam

Aug 23, 2021, 6:43:22 PM8/23/21
In article <sg17ev$23n$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> LOL. sms is wrong of course .

ftfy

> The reason that I tried to delete those three folders was because I
> wanted to delete all the photos on the device after I had copied them
> over to a computer. Since that kind of deletion is not permitted,

nonsense.

> I had
> to go into each folder, select all the files in the folder, and delete
> those files, with the empty folders remaining. Not a big deal, just odd,
> and a minor annoyance. If I'd have had a large number of photo folders
> it would have been more of an annoyance.

also wrong.

> But most of us
> here have long since given up trying to understand why he says what he
> says and if he really believes his own words. It's like the My Pillow
> guy that doesn't really believe that the election was stolen, but
> somehow feels compelled to keep insisting that it was.

you're talking about yourself.

you know what you're saying is wrong and do so just to troll.

the only difference between you and mike lindell is that he's been sued
for his bullshit, which will result in him owing a *lot* of money.

nospam

Aug 23, 2021, 6:43:23 PM8/23/21
In article <sg180l$5cm$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, the person at <https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7458222> had
> 265 folders in the DCIM folder. To go into all 265 of those, select all
> the photos in each one, then delete them, would have been a big task.

not for anyone with a clue, it wouldn't.

> Apparently there actually is a way to remove the folders, and the
> contents, but you have to Jailbreak your device to do so,

nonsense. there is no need to jailbreak.

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 23, 2021, 6:45:49 PM8/23/21
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> asked
>> So what do you do to remove a folder that you've deleted all the photos
>> from?
>
> nothing. just ignore it.

Why is your answer always that you can't do what you want to do on iOS?
On Android you could do almost anything you want to do with any DCIM folder.

Why is your answer always that you must do things only the Apple way (where
the Apple Way is to not do what you want to do because you can't do it)?

>> The folders don't hurt anything by being there.
>
> exactly the point.

Actually, they clutter up your file system, and worse, when the _next_ photo
is snapped, are you sure _where_ it will go?

That is, if you leave those idiotically named empty Apple100 to Apple 109,
dirs, does the _next_ photo that you snap go into Apple100 or into Apple109
or into Apple110?

>> The only annoyance was
>> that instead of removing all the photos by just deleting the three
>> folders I had to go into each folder individually, select all the
>> photos, then do a delete. If there had been a lot more than just three
>> folders then it would have been more of a hassle.
>
> user error.
>
> there is no need to individually go into each subfolder for any digital
> camera to transfer photos.

In other words, what you commonly do on all operating systems _except_ iOS
won't work because Apple wants you to do things only the way Apple says to.

> the easiest method is to set up automatic transfer, then connect the
> camera and let the computer do the work for you.

Why is it that what everyone does on all other operating systems won't work
on iOS, which is to copy the photos the way _you_ want to copy them?

Why must it always be the Apple way or the highway with all things on iOS?

> even easier is via the cloud but that won't work for traditional
> cameras.

Why is iOS so brain dead that it can't move photos 3 feet without the cloud?

nospam

Aug 23, 2021, 6:51:41 PM8/23/21
In article <sg18er$41j$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Robin Goodfellow
<Ancient...@Heaven.Net> wrote:

> Why is your answer always that you can't do what you want to do on iOS?

only you can't.

everyone else easily can. deleting photos is one of the easiest, since
can be configured to happen automatically.

sms

Aug 23, 2021, 6:51:49 PM8/23/21
On 8/23/2021 3:06 PM, sms wrote:

<snip>

> The folders don't hurt anything by being there. The only annoyance was
> that instead of removing all the photos by just deleting the three
> folders I had to go into each folder individually, select all the
> photos, then do a delete. If there had been a lot more than just three
> folders then it would have been more of a hassle.

Also, when you continue to take photos after you've deleted the contents
of each of those 100APPLE...XYZAPPLE folders, and then begin to take
more photos, do the new photos start to fill up the empty folders
starting from 100APPLE? Or do they start at the highest numbered folder,
assuming that all the lower number folders are full?

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 23, 2021, 6:51:59 PM8/23/21
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> asked

> Yeah, the person at <https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7458222> had
> 265 folders in the DCIM folder. To go into all 265 of those, select all
> the photos in each one, then delete them, would have been a big task.

Been there. Done that.
I never fail but I don't do things _only_ the way Apple says to do them.

The Apple way is usually the most limited, so I do it the right way.

If you do them only the way Apple says, you'll almost always fail.
Because you can't.

But with Linux, you can. Easily. All native. Nothing extra to add.
You just connect any iOS device to native Ubuntu & it just works.

You can move or delete (read and write) anything in the iOS DCIM folder.

> If you're getting ready to decommission a phone I guess you could do a
> system reset which would accomplish removing all the old photos and
> folders.

Have you noticed that not only does iOS idiotically name the _folders_, but
also the photo files themselves?

While Android can give the photos meaningful names based on unique time
stamps or locations, the iOS photo names I've seen are also idiotic.

Classic Apple.
There's only one way to do anything - and it's the way Apple says to do it.

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 23, 2021, 6:56:01 PM8/23/21
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> asked
>> Why is your answer always that you can't do what you want to do on iOS?
>
> only you can't.
>
> everyone else easily can. deleting photos is one of the easiest, since
> can be configured to happen automatically.

And yet sms asked you twice already and you clearly said you can't do it.

Meanwhile I've done it many times because I have full read/write access to
the iOS file system under the common directories such as the DCIM hierarchy.

What's amazing about you is how little you know about the iOS file system.

nospam

Aug 23, 2021, 7:07:59 PM8/23/21
In article <sg18qe$7rh$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Robin Goodfellow
<Ancient...@Heaven.Net> wrote:

> I never fail

yes you do, in everything you do.

nospam

Aug 23, 2021, 7:08:00 PM8/23/21
In article <sg191v$a64$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Robin Goodfellow
<Ancient...@Heaven.Net> wrote:

> >> Why is your answer always that you can't do what you want to do on iOS?
> >
> > only you can't.
> >
> > everyone else easily can. deleting photos is one of the easiest, since
> > can be configured to happen automatically.
>
> And yet sms asked you twice already and you clearly said you can't do it.

i did not say that.

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 23, 2021, 7:22:19 PM8/23/21
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> asked
>> I never fail
>
> yes you do, in everything you do.

And yet you can't do it at all and I've _easily_ done it very many times.

The entire DCIM folder is completely read/write to/from Windows by the
method I use which is to connect to a dual-boot Linux/Windows over USB.

No software needed (all native) and especially no iTunes bloatware.
In fact, if you add iTunes, you _lose_ some functionality you have native.

That observation bears repeating.
*If you use the Apple method, you actually _lose_ functionality.*

sms

Aug 23, 2021, 7:25:16 PM8/23/21
On 8/23/2021 10:18 AM, Robin Goodfellow wrote:

<snip>

> Linux not only accesses the entire iOS file system but it allows read/write.
> Windows won't, and if you install iTunes, you end up having less (not more).

At least in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, you can't delete those folders and their
contents either. I just tried. And unlike in Windows 10, you also can't
even delete the individual files within those folders.

I think that if you want to do this you have to Jailbreak. Or perhaps
some other version of Linux would work, but I think that that is unlikely.

I added this as #106 to the document.

26 iOS Features Some of Which [many] Android Users Wish they Had
106 Android Features Some of Which [many] iOS Users Wish they Had

<https://tinyurl.com/fzje7h9e> or
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JznrWfGJDA8CYVfjSnPTwfVy8-gAC0kPyaApuJTcUNE>

38 Pages of Extensively Referenced Information with Hundreds of
Citations

✓ 100% Fact Checked ✓

nospam

Aug 23, 2021, 7:31:58 PM8/23/21
In article <sg1aj9$q3o$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Robin Goodfellow
<Ancient...@Heaven.Net> wrote:

> The entire DCIM folder is completely read/write to/from Windows by the
> method I use which is to connect to a dual-boot Linux/Windows over USB.

by your own admission, apple is *not* preventing doing what you want to
do, despite that it's not needed and a waste of time.

nospam

Aug 23, 2021, 7:31:59 PM8/23/21
In article <sg1aor$k7b$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> At least in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, you can't delete those folders and their
> contents either. I just tried. And unlike in Windows 10, you also can't
> even delete the individual files within those folders.

user error.

> I think that if you want to do this you have to Jailbreak. Or perhaps
> some other version of Linux would work, but I think that that is unlikely.

you think wrong, or more accurately, not at all.

> I added this as #106 to the document.

of course you have.

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 23, 2021, 7:39:24 PM8/23/21
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> asked
>> LOL. sms is wrong of course .
>
> ftfy

The more desperate nospam is in defending Apple's lack of functionality to
the death, the more childishly predictable nospam becomes (e.g., ftfy).

Joerg Lorenz

Aug 24, 2021, 2:26:46 AM8/24/21
Am 23.08.21 um 23:59 schrieb Ant:
> Joerg Lorenz <hugy...@gmx.ch> wrote:
>> How stupid must you be to try that?
>> There is no reason on earth to do that except to destroy the device.
>> Take a hammer and destroy the iPhone7, period.
>
> Why destroy a perfectly working iPhone?

You are asking the wrong person. I do not try to delete system-folders
on a mobile device. My answer was just a sarcastic answer to sms who
makes himself a total fool and Troll in this group.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Zaidy036

Aug 24, 2021, 2:28:10 AM8/24/21
Write a simple Windows batch file and all will be automatic copy then
delete all photos. One can also rename as they are copied.

--
Zaidy036

Joerg Lorenz

Aug 24, 2021, 2:28:57 AM8/24/21
Am 24.08.21 um 00:06 schrieb Robin Goodfellow:
> Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> asked
>>> How stupid must you be to try that?
>>> There is no reason on earth to do that except to destroy the device.
>>> Take a hammer and destroy the iPhone7, period.
>>
>> Why destroy a perfectly working iPhone?
>
> What Joerg Lorenz was likely saying was that if you try to do anything
> outside of what Apple told you to do, it will likely destroy the iPhone.

Good morning Arlen/Newton/Ragnussen/paul/

> In fact, just to _want_ to do something outside of what Apple tells you to
> do, will destroy the iPhone (as in this case), according to Joerg Lorenz.
>
> There should be no desire outside of the way Apple tells you to do things.

This is a group for adults not Trolls, Arlen.

Chris

Aug 24, 2021, 3:17:01 AM8/24/21
Robin Goodfellow <Ancient...@Heaven.Net> wrote:
> Chris <ithi...@gmail.com> asked
>
>>> Only Apple would come up with such an idiotic set of redundant folders.
>>
>> It's part of the DCF standard that all digital cameras (incl. smartphones)
>> comply with.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_rule_for_Camera_File_system
>
> Are you seriously claiming Android phone photo folders are _not_ of the form
> /DCIM/Camera/{photos]

Nope. That isn't what I'm claiming either seriously or comically.

If that's what they do then it's non-compliant with the DCF standard.

>>> Most iOS owners are blissfully unaware of Apple's folder design idiocy.
>>> That ignorant bliss is because most Apple do things only Apple's way.
>>
>> Apple isn't the one being ignorant, here.
>
> You're right that it's you who is being ignorant here if you are seriously
> trying to claim that Android photo folders aren't commonly of the form
> /DCIM/Camera/{photos]
>
> Besides, Android lets you _delete_ those folders.
> The OP is saying that Apple won't.
>
> You say I'm ignorant even though I know more than you do.
> You say I'm ignorant even though I gave the OP a working solution.
>
> What's your solution for the OP to do what the OP wants to do?
> Or, are you also ignorant of that too?

There's no solution. He can't delete those folders. End of story.

Chris

Aug 24, 2021, 3:21:56 AM8/24/21
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
> On 8/23/2021 1:55 PM, Chris wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> It's part of the DCF standard that all digital cameras (incl. smartphones)
>> comply with.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_rule_for_Camera_File_system
>
> So what do you do to remove a folder that you've deleted all the photos
> from? It appears to not be possible (other than perhaps by doing a
> system reset).

I mean ctrl+A and then Delete is not that hard, is it?

That's also part of the standard. See this bit:

"The DCF standard defines that the "Read Only" file and directory attribute
of FAT file systems can be used to protect files or directories from
accidental deletion. "

Chris

Aug 24, 2021, 3:21:56 AM8/24/21
They fill the existing folders first, as expected. You're honestly making a
mountain out of molehill.

sms

Aug 24, 2021, 4:19:16 AM8/24/21
I don't think so.

Let's say you had 100APPLE, 101APPLE, ... 150APPLE, all full. If you
went and deleted some or all of the photos from 101APPLE, would the
phone then go back and add new photos to 101APPLE until it was full
again, then jump to 151APPLE? This would not make sense since you'd
think that it would want to keep the folders in chronological order.

I'd rather have the phone create a new folder, with a name based on the
date, for each day you take photos.

But..., surprisingly, at least on the iPhone Xr, when I deleted all the
photos from 100APPLE, and could not delete the folder, when I unplugged
and plugged the phone into the computer, the folder no longer appeared.
So apparently, somewhere along the way of iOS updates, they decided that
empty photo folders should be removed upon reconnection.

Not sure what happens if you have 100APPLE and 101APPLE partially full
and delete all the photos from 100APPLE. Does the phone recreate
100APPLE and immediately start putting new photos there until it's full
then go back and fill 101APPLE? Or does it just keep filling 101APPLE
then create 102APPLE, figuring that it would be confusing to have
folders not in chronological order?

sms

Aug 24, 2021, 4:22:32 AM8/24/21
On 8/24/2021 12:21 AM, Chris wrote:
> sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
>> On 8/23/2021 1:55 PM, Chris wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> It's part of the DCF standard that all digital cameras (incl. smartphones)
>>> comply with.
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_rule_for_Camera_File_system
>>
>> So what do you do to remove a folder that you've deleted all the photos
>> from? It appears to not be possible (other than perhaps by doing a
>> system reset).
>
> I mean ctrl+A and then Delete is not that hard, is it?

Huh? That doesn't do anything. At least not in Windows 10.

sms

Aug 24, 2021, 4:33:48 AM8/24/21
On 8/23/2021 11:28 PM, Zaidy036 wrote:

<snip>

> Write a simple Windows batch file and all will be automatic copy then
> delete all photos. One can also rename as they are copied.

Yes, I thought of trying this but when you connect an iPhone in Windows
10 it doesn't get assigned a drive letter so I don't see how you can
create a batch file to do this. IIRC, in older versions of Windows any
device with storage that got attached via USB was automatically assigned
a drive letter.

Zaidy036

Aug 24, 2021, 5:27:38 AM8/24/21
If it can be done manually it can be done by batch.

I am away with iPad but something like:

FOR /L %%F IN (100,1,199) DO (
If not exist .../DCIM/%%Fname/*.jpg goto _None
FORFILES .../DCIM/%%Fname /m @ext /c <move>
)

:_None
Echo <something>

Also may be able to delete all folders EXCEPT 100name
Can add rename using jpg meta data. New folders on PC could be by date jpg
taken.

--
Zaidy036

Zaidy036

Aug 24, 2021, 5:29:28 AM8/24/21
"FOR /L" statements on separate lines

--
Zaidy036

Joerg Lorenz

Aug 24, 2021, 5:54:46 AM8/24/21
Am 24.08.21 um 09:21 schrieb Chris:
> sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
>> Also, when you continue to take photos after you've deleted the contents
>> of each of those 100APPLE...XYZAPPLE folders, and then begin to take
>> more photos, do the new photos start to fill up the empty folders
>> starting from 100APPLE? Or do they start at the highest numbered folder,
>> assuming that all the lower number folders are full?
>
> They fill the existing folders first, as expected. You're honestly making a
> mountain out of molehill.

You are absolutely right.
That's the way sms handles his entire life ... from Touch-ID to
5G-coverage by Verizon or Deutsche Telekom.
I assume that he is at least as bored as Arlen.

nospam

Aug 24, 2021, 7:11:26 AM8/24/21
In article <sg26mj$va3$2...@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
> > Also, when you continue to take photos after you've deleted the contents
> > of each of those 100APPLE...XYZAPPLE folders, and then begin to take
> > more photos, do the new photos start to fill up the empty folders
> > starting from 100APPLE? Or do they start at the highest numbered folder,
> > assuming that all the lower number folders are full?
>
> They fill the existing folders first, as expected. You're honestly making a
> mountain out of molehill.

it's deliberate trolling.

nospam

Aug 24, 2021, 7:11:27 AM8/24/21
In article <sg2a21$s06$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> > sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
> >> Also, when you continue to take photos after you've deleted the contents
> >> of each of those 100APPLE...XYZAPPLE folders, and then begin to take
> >> more photos, do the new photos start to fill up the empty folders
> >> starting from 100APPLE? Or do they start at the highest numbered folder,
> >> assuming that all the lower number folders are full?
> >
> > They fill the existing folders first, as expected. You're honestly making a
> > mountain out of molehill.
>
> I don't think so.

bullshit. you know full well what you're doing and it's obvious to
everyone.

> Let's say you had 100APPLE, 101APPLE, ... 150APPLE, all full. If you
> went and deleted some or all of the photos from 101APPLE, would the
> phone then go back and add new photos to 101APPLE until it was full
> again, then jump to 151APPLE? This would not make sense since you'd
> think that it would want to keep the folders in chronological order.

it does not matter, at all.

> I'd rather have the phone create a new folder, with a name based on the
> date, for each day you take photos.

that won't work because the namespace is limited. it's also redundant
since that is known via the file creation date, plus it's also in the
exif data.

> But..., surprisingly, at least on the iPhone Xr, when I deleted all the
> photos from 100APPLE, and could not delete the folder, when I unplugged
> and plugged the phone into the computer, the folder no longer appeared.

that's a lot of words to admit user error.

> So apparently, somewhere along the way of iOS updates, they decided that
> empty photo folders should be removed upon reconnection.

incorrect conclusion.

> Not sure what happens if you have 100APPLE and 101APPLE partially full
> and delete all the photos from 100APPLE. Does the phone recreate
> 100APPLE and immediately start putting new photos there until it's full
> then go back and fill 101APPLE? Or does it just keep filling 101APPLE
> then create 102APPLE, figuring that it would be confusing to have
> folders not in chronological order?

again, it does not matter.

the photos have unique names. the different folders are due to file
system limitations. the specific folder name does not matter.

this is not a new concept and not unique to apple. it applies to
*every* digital camera.

Lewis

Aug 24, 2021, 7:57:37 AM8/24/21
In message <sg0t8f$n3c$1...@dont-email.me> sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
> On 8/23/2021 12:11 PM, Robin Goodfellow wrote:
>> nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> asked
>>>
>>> they're not redundant and all digital cameras do that.
>>
>> What's obvious is how ignorant you prove to be on Android folders.
>> None of my Android phones create those Apple idiotic numerical folders.

> I don't mind the iPhone creating those folders to prevent too many
> photos in a single folder, but it's odd that once the contents of the
> folders are removed that the folders can't be removed, or the folders
> can't just be deleted with the contents still in them.

Why is that odd. Apple uses the folders, would need to recreate them if
they were not there, and there is absolutely no reason they need to be
removed.

--
And sometimes there's a short cut. A door or a gate. Some standing
stones. A tree cleft by lightning, a filing cabinet. Maybe just a

Lewis

Aug 24, 2021, 8:08:10 AM8/24/21
In message <sg165m$q06$1...@dont-email.me> sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
> On 8/23/2021 1:55 PM, Chris wrote:

> <snip>

>> It's part of the DCF standard that all digital cameras (incl. smartphones)
>> comply with.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_rule_for_Camera_File_system

> So what do you do to remove a folder that you've deleted all the photos
> from? It appears to not be possible (other than perhaps by doing a
> system reset). I saw one answer: "iOS does not allow you to delete them,
> therefore Windows shows an error message,"
> <https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/383294/how-could-i-delete-dcim-sub-folders-in-iphone>.

> The folders don't hurt anything by being there. The only annoyance was
> that instead of removing all the photos by just deleting the three
> folders I had to go into each folder individually, select all the
> photos, then do a delete.

But you did NOT have to do this, of course.

--
"My parents were unwilling to secure the necessary eagle's eggs and
lion semen"

Lewis

Aug 24, 2021, 8:15:12 AM8/24/21
In message <240820210711267977%nos...@nospam.invalid> nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> the photos have unique names. the different folders are due to file
> system limitations. the specific folder name does not matter.

No, the file system could hold all the photos in a single folder with
long names on ever photo file, The SPEC to comply with the camera
standard requires 8.3 filenames in a specific format which limits the
total possible photos in a folder to 1000, though most choose 100 per
folder instead.

> this is not a new concept and not unique to apple. it applies to
> *every* digital camera.

Yes, and manually removing the photos from the iPhone is a sure sign of
doing stupid shit wrong on sms's part, as is so often the case.

--
It's the terror of knowing what this world is about
Watching some good friends screaming let me out

-hh

Aug 24, 2021, 8:16:20 AM8/24/21
On Monday, August 23, 2021 at 6:06:48 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:
> On 8/23/2021 1:55 PM, Chris wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > It's part of the DCF standard that all digital cameras (incl. smartphones)
> > comply with.
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_rule_for_Camera_File_system
>
> So what do you do to remove a folder that you've deleted all the photos
> from? It appears to not be possible (other than perhaps by doing a
> system reset). I saw one answer: "iOS does not allow you to delete them,
> therefore Windows shows an error message,"
> <https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/383294/how-could-i-delete-dcim-sub-folders-in-iphone>.

That appears to be an Apple-imposed addition onto the Standard, for reasons TBD.

> The folders don't hurt anything by being there. The only annoyance was
> that instead of removing all the photos by just deleting the three
> folders I had to go into each folder individually, select all the
> photos, then do a delete. If there had been a lot more than just three
> folders then it would have been more of a hassle.

They do & they don't...overall, it looks to me to be YA example of how Apple
is busy pursuing their own agenda (eg, renting of iCloud storage) and hasn't
bothered to think about the longer term implications of their design decision.

Case in point, my cameras have been using the DCF folder naming sequencing
for years, so if all of these photos were somehow incorporated into the Apple
iOS ecosystem in the fashion that Apple is imposing, I'd have literally thousands
of such folders under management: that's where what was a relatively minor
inconvenience of cleaning out ~3 folders becomes a PITA and peeve where one
becomes motivated to go hunt for alternatives.

-hh

Lewis

Aug 24, 2021, 8:18:17 AM8/24/21
In message <sg1aor$k7b$1...@dont-email.me> sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
> I think that if you want to do this [delete photos] you have to Jailbreak.

I am sure that you do think this, it is just the sort of asinine idiocy
your would believe. It is nonsense, of course.

--
All great truths begin as blasphemies.

-hh

Aug 24, 2021, 8:27:27 AM8/24/21
On Tuesday, August 24, 2021 at 4:19:16 AM UTC-4, sms wrote:

> Let's say you had 100APPLE, 101APPLE, ... 150APPLE, all full. If you
> went and deleted some or all of the photos from 101APPLE, would the
> phone then go back and add new photos to 101APPLE until it was full
> again, then jump to 151APPLE? This would not make sense since you'd
> think that it would want to keep the folders in chronological order.
>
> I'd rather have the phone create a new folder, with a name based on the
> date, for each day you take photos.
>
> But..., surprisingly, at least on the iPhone Xr, when I deleted all the
> photos from 100APPLE, and could not delete the folder, when I unplugged
> and plugged the phone into the computer, the folder no longer appeared.
> So apparently, somewhere along the way of iOS updates, they decided that
> empty photo folders should be removed upon reconnection.
>
> Not sure what happens if you have 100APPLE and 101APPLE partially full
> and delete all the photos from 100APPLE. Does the phone recreate
> 100APPLE and immediately start putting new photos there until it's full
> then go back and fill 101APPLE? Or does it just keep filling 101APPLE
> then create 102APPLE, figuring that it would be confusing to have
> folders not in chronological order?

The behavior I've seen on non-Apple cameras is that the destination folder
is determined by the filename: If the image's filename is "IMG_4048", it will
go into (say) folder 4000, whereas if the image's filename is "IMG_0148", that
gets put into 0100, etc. If said folder doesn't exist yet, it will create it to use.

I accidentally stumbled across this when I swapped memory cards between
two camera bodies with different shutter counts (thus, different "IMG_XXXX"
filenames). You can reproduce this by just swap cards and shooting some pics:
it will create new folders to match the different camera body's IMG count.
Likewise, it will continue using an existing folder when you swap back.

If you only have one body, try reading the camera manual to see if it allows you to
change (or reset) how it does its "IMG_" numbering sequence. Use that to go
in to change it mid-card and watch the results.

-hh

nospam

Aug 24, 2021, 8:34:29 AM8/24/21
In article <slrnsi9omf....@m1mini.local>, Lewis
<g.k...@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:

> > the photos have unique names. the different folders are due to file
> > system limitations. the specific folder name does not matter.
>
> No, the file system could hold all the photos in a single folder with
> long names on ever photo file, The SPEC to comply with the camera
> standard requires 8.3 filenames in a specific format which limits the
> total possible photos in a folder to 1000, though most choose 100 per
> folder instead.

memory cards were originally fat16/fat32 which had issues with a lot of
files in one folder.

> > this is not a new concept and not unique to apple. it applies to
> > *every* digital camera.
>
> Yes, and manually removing the photos from the iPhone is a sure sign of
> doing stupid shit wrong on sms's part, as is so often the case.

it's not just iphones. manually copying and/or removing photos from any
camera (or memory card) is stupid.

connect the camera via usb, import photos. done.

optionally tick the box that says 'delete photos when transferring'
(exact title varies depending on app).

smartphones can also sync via the cloud, an option not available with
traditional cameras.

nospam

Aug 24, 2021, 8:34:30 AM8/24/21
In article <9bc57f2d-3c14-4066...@googlegroups.com>,
-hh <recscub...@huntzinger.com> wrote:

> They do & they don't...overall, it looks to me to be YA example of how Apple
> is busy pursuing their own agenda (eg, renting of iCloud storage) and hasn't
> bothered to think about the longer term implications of their design decision.
>
> Case in point, my cameras have been using the DCF folder naming sequencing
> for years, so if all of these photos were somehow incorporated into the Apple
> iOS ecosystem in the fashion that Apple is imposing, I'd have literally
> thousands
> of such folders under management: that's where what was a relatively minor
> inconvenience of cleaning out ~3 folders becomes a PITA and peeve where one
> becomes motivated to go hunt for alternatives.

apple isn't imposing anything. they're just following the spec, and
there is never any need whatsoever to 'clean out' a folder.

iphones present as standard digital cameras. whatever works for a nikon
or canon camera also works for an iphone.

nospam

Aug 24, 2021, 8:34:32 AM8/24/21
In article <bb3c7b8e-1b2c-4124...@googlegroups.com>,
-hh <recscub...@huntzinger.com> wrote:

> The behavior I've seen on non-Apple cameras is that the destination folder
> is determined by the filename: If the image's filename is "IMG_4048", it
> will
> go into (say) folder 4000, whereas if the image's filename is "IMG_0148",
> that
> gets put into 0100, etc. If said folder doesn't exist yet, it will create it
> to use.

not on any traditional camera i've used.

> I accidentally stumbled across this when I swapped memory cards between
> two camera bodies with different shutter counts (thus, different "IMG_XXXX"
> filenames). You can reproduce this by just swap cards and shooting some
> pics:
> it will create new folders to match the different camera body's IMG count.
> Likewise, it will continue using an existing folder when you swap back.

that depends on the camera. some will use the known shutter count for
the name and others can be spoofed by leaving a photo with the desired
number on the card. some cameras don't track shutter count (or at least
not easily retrieved if they do).

Joerg Lorenz

Aug 24, 2021, 10:14:55 AM8/24/21
Am 24.08.21 um 10:22 schrieb sms:
*ROTFLSTC*
That works in all desktop OS. From Apple over Linux to Windows.

sms

Aug 24, 2021, 11:24:03 AM8/24/21
On 8/24/2021 2:27 AM, Zaidy036 wrote:
> sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
>> On 8/23/2021 11:28 PM, Zaidy036 wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Write a simple Windows batch file and all will be automatic copy then
>>> delete all photos. One can also rename as they are copied.
>>
>> Yes, I thought of trying this but when you connect an iPhone in Windows
>> 10 it doesn't get assigned a drive letter so I don't see how you can
>> create a batch file to do this. IIRC, in older versions of Windows any
>> device with storage that got attached via USB was automatically assigned
>> a drive letter.
>>
> If it can be done manually it can be done by batch.

I have created elaborate batch files for renaming, copying, and deleting
files, but without the iPhone being assigned a drive letter by Windows
there doesn't seem to be any way to run a batch file on the contents.

Supposedly in Windows 7 the iPhone was assigned a drive letter
<https://itstillworks.com/access-external-hard-disk-files-6216031.html>
but not in Windows 10.

There is an application called iExplorer which claims to be able to
assign a drive letter to an iPhone, but it is very flaky and I could get
a drive letter assigned but then the program would hang and I would have
to reboot the computer to end it (could not even end it with Task Manager).

nospam

Aug 24, 2021, 12:46:35 PM8/24/21
In article <sg32uh$p6f$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> I have created elaborate batch files for renaming, copying, and deleting
> files, but without the iPhone being assigned a drive letter by Windows
> there doesn't seem to be any way to run a batch file on the contents.

you're making things *way* more complicated than they need to be,
assuming any of it is true.

Chris

Aug 24, 2021, 1:30:59 PM8/24/21
Do I really have to spell it out? Your acting dumb is starting to make
look like you're not acting in good faith and are simply trolling.

Open a File Manager window, open a folder, then crtl+A selects all files
in the folder. Hitting "Del" will then delete all those files. Simples.

Zaidy036

Aug 24, 2021, 1:45:20 PM8/24/21
Use path that shows in Explorer when you manually do it. Try twice ...does
the folder path change?

--
Zaidy036

sms

Aug 24, 2021, 1:45:42 PM8/24/21
On 8/24/2021 10:30 AM, Chris wrote:

<snip>

> Do I really have to spell it out? Your acting dumb is starting to make
> look like you're not acting in good faith and are simply trolling.
>
> Open a File Manager window, open a folder, then crtl+A selects all files
> in the folder. Hitting "Del" will then delete all those files. Simples.

Me: "So what do you do to remove a folder that you've deleted all the
photos from? It appears to not be possible (other than perhaps by doing
a system reset)."

You: "I mean ctrl+A and then Delete is not that hard, is it?"

Do you not understand that you're not answering the question that was
asked? I think you do. "If the only tool you have is a hammer, you will
start treating all your problems like a nail.”

You're explaining how to remove all the files, of course that's trivial
to do. As others have stated, sometimes you have hundreds of folders
with photos in them. It would be useful to be able to delete all those
folders, with the contents inside them, without going into every folder
and deleting all the files. It would also be useful to delete the empty
folders, though apparently iOS will do that when you disconnect and
reconnect the iPhone.

It's very easy to change the question to something you know the answer
to instead of answering the actual question! And throw in an insult just
for good measure!

nospam

Aug 24, 2021, 1:47:23 PM8/24/21
In article <sg3ach$g2p$1...@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> I mean ctrl+A and then Delete is not that hard, is it?
> >
> > Huh? That doesn't do anything. At least not in Windows 10.
>
> Do I really have to spell it out? Your acting dumb is starting to make
> look like you're not acting in good faith and are simply trolling.

you're catching on. trolling is *exactly* what he's doing.

-hh

Aug 24, 2021, 2:34:13 PM8/24/21
On Tuesday, August 24, 2021 at 8:34:32 AM UTC-4, nospam wrote:
> -hh wrote:
>
> > The behavior I've seen on non-Apple cameras is that the destination folder
> > is determined by the filename: If the image's filename is "IMG_4048",
> > it will go into (say) folder 4000, whereas if the image's filename is
> > "IMG_0148", that gets put into 0100, etc. If said folder doesn't exist yet,
> > it will create it to use.
>
> not on any traditional camera i've used.

I'm referring to digital cameras, not film cameras.

> > I accidentally stumbled across this when I swapped memory cards between
> > two camera bodies with different shutter counts (thus, different "IMG_XXXX"
> > filenames). You can reproduce this by just swap cards and shooting some
> > pics:
> > it will create new folders to match the different camera body's IMG count.
> > Likewise, it will continue using an existing folder when you swap back.
>
> that depends on the camera. some will use the known shutter count for
> the name and others can be spoofed by leaving a photo with the desired
> number on the card. some cameras don't track shutter count (or at least
> not easily retrieved if they do).

Doesn't matter how a camera determines "next filename" (IMG_XXXX), because
that's not relevant to how the DCF standard then uses that filename to decide
where to put that file.

Point here is that when the appropriate folder_name doesn't exist for filename
(IMG_XXXX), the camera automatically goes & creates it to use.

This why anytime that one has a numbering "skip" (no matter why), you won't find
the new IMG_05xx files stored in the folder for IMG_04xx files, but in the next folder
for IMG_05xx files: the organization that's being imposed is to start a new folder is
based on filename, not when a folder has hit exactly 100 (or 1000, etc) files in it.

-hh

nospam

Aug 24, 2021, 4:21:52 PM8/24/21
In article <db0dfbdd-f8e8-446d...@googlegroups.com>,
-hh <recscub...@huntzinger.com> wrote:

> > > The behavior I've seen on non-Apple cameras is that the destination folder
> > > is determined by the filename: If the image's filename is "IMG_4048",
> > > it will go into (say) folder 4000, whereas if the image's filename is
> > > "IMG_0148", that gets put into 0100, etc. If said folder doesn't exist
> > > yet, it will create it to use.
> >
> > not on any traditional camera i've used.
>
> I'm referring to digital cameras, not film cameras.

obviously.

film cameras do not create file names, plus they are a relic of history
and sit on collector's shelves.

traditional camera means not a smartphone, i.e., nikon, canon, olympus,
etc.

there is no need to explicitly say 'digital camera' anymore. cameras
*are* digital.

> Doesn't matter how a camera determines "next filename" (IMG_XXXX), because
> that's not relevant to how the DCF standard then uses that filename to decide
> where to put that file.

it *does* matter, because cameras that can alter the naming pattern
based on the last image on a given card risks file name duplication,
which can cause potential issues for the photographer. this can (and
does) happen by mistake.

> Point here is that when the appropriate folder_name doesn't exist for filename
> (IMG_XXXX), the camera automatically goes & creates it to use.

whatever the camera uses for file and folder names is entirely
irrelevant to the photographer.

all of the info about the photo is contained in metadata, namely exif.

the camera could use unique series of characters for all it matters.

file system limitations of fat16/32 no longer apply, which means that
there doesn't need to be multiple folders anymore, but good luck
getting anyone to update the outdated standard.

-hh

Aug 24, 2021, 4:35:57 PM8/24/21
On Tuesday, August 24, 2021 at 4:21:52 PM UTC-4, nospam wrote:

> > > not on any traditional camera i've used.
> >
> > I'm referring to digital cameras, not film cameras.
>
> obviously.
>
> film cameras do not create file names, plus they are a relic of history
> and sit on collector's shelves.
>
> traditional camera means not a smartphone, i.e., nikon, canon, olympus,
> etc.
>
> there is no need to explicitly say 'digital camera' anymore. cameras
> *are* digital.

With nospam's pedantry attempts, it *is* necessary.

> > Doesn't matter how a camera determines "next filename" (IMG_XXXX), because
> > that's not relevant to how the DCF standard then uses that filename to decide
> > where to put that file.
>
> it *does* matter, because cameras that can alter the naming pattern
> based on the last image on a given card risks file name duplication,
> which can cause potential issues for the photographer. this can (and
> does) happen by mistake.

The pedantry of how its possible to muck up a system is irrelevant to what
the basic behavior is for how folders are created/assigned and populated.

> > Point here is that when the appropriate folder_name doesn't exist for filename
> > (IMG_XXXX), the camera automatically goes & creates it to use.
>
> whatever the camera uses for file and folder names is entirely
> irrelevant to the photographer.

Except for when discussing how the camera automatically creates folders
for those files.

> all of the info about the photo is contained in metadata, namely exif.

Some of which is used by the camera's OS to decide what folder it will put it in,
which was what this subthread's been discussing.

-hh

sms

Aug 24, 2021, 6:30:04 PM8/24/21
On 8/24/2021 1:35 PM, -hh wrote:

<snip>

> With nospam's pedantry attempts, it *is* necessary.

LOL, true, with our favorite troll's strong commitment to misinformation
you can't be too careful.

<snip>

> Except for when discussing how the camera automatically creates folders
> for those files.
>
>> all of the info about the photo is contained in metadata, namely exif.
>
> Some of which is used by the camera's OS to decide what folder it will put it in,
> which was what this subthread's been discussing.

On one of my Canon cameras you can have the camera set up to create a
new folder either every day or every month. Even if a folder isn't full
the camera will jump to the next day or month.

Here's what it looks like under Windows:
<https://i.imgur.com/YpBBr3r.jpeg>. Of course you can copy files, delete
files, and delete folders.

The Canon camera can't be set up as a storage drive with a drive letter
for batch processing, though of course if you take the SD card out of
the camera and stick it into the computer you of course get that
functionality.

How iOS can take something that should be so straightforward and simple,
and make it so unintuitive and complex, must have taken a lot of effort.
Unless the camera makers, and Google, patented the more logical system.

nospam

Aug 24, 2021, 6:41:30 PM8/24/21
In article <sg3rt9$agu$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> How iOS can take something that should be so straightforward and simple,
> and make it so unintuitive and complex, must have taken a lot of effort.

there is nothing unintuitive nor complex about how ios handles its
camera, which works exactly the same as other digital cameras going
back more than 20 years.

it's quite literally, connect to computer and copy, optionally ticking
a box to delete photos after copying.

the copy step can be set to happen automatically, making it even easier.

easier still, sync via the cloud.

any problems you may be having are entirely of your own creation,
assuming the story is even true.

> Unless the camera makers, and Google, patented the more logical system.

tin foil, aisle 4.

Chris

Aug 25, 2021, 4:16:03 AM8/25/21
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
> On 8/24/2021 10:30 AM, Chris wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Do I really have to spell it out? Your acting dumb is starting to make
>> look like you're not acting in good faith and are simply trolling.
>>
>> Open a File Manager window, open a folder, then crtl+A selects all files
>> in the folder. Hitting "Del" will then delete all those files. Simples.

You were complaining about going into several folders to delete many files.
My suggestion was to help with that.

If you'd rather simply complain about a non-issue, then go ahead.

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 25, 2021, 4:18:24 AM8/25/21
Chris <ithi...@gmail.com> asked
> Nope. That isn't what I'm claiming either seriously or comically.

Good because you'd be stupid to claim Android Camera folders aren't
generally of the format /DCIM/Camera/{sensibly-named-photos}.

Even if the photos weren't sensibly named, there are plenty of free Android
tools which will automatically name the photos as you see fit, and other
free tools which will combine multiple galleries (from multiple phones for
example or from multiple locations) as you see fit.

To own an iPhone is to be crippled in almost every way possible.

> If that's what they do then it's non-compliant with the DCF standard.

It's only those dumb Camera and the even dumber iPhone DCIM folders that are
of that idiotic numerical form where you'd expect a _computer_ device (such
as an iPhone is) to not be as dumb as a typical ancient camera was long ago.

> There's no solution. He can't delete those folders. End of story.

Again, please, I beg you to not prove to be so stupid every time you post.
He can easily delete them and I showed him how (and I do it all the time).

As long as he uses zero Apple methods, he'll be able to read _and_ write to
the entire DCIM folder hierarchy on his iOS device (yes, I said write, which
includes delete).

The more Apple tools he uses, the _less_ functionality he will have.
(iTunes is classic as it _removes_ functionality when you install it.)

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 25, 2021, 4:23:14 AM8/25/21
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> asked
>> And yet sms asked you twice already and you clearly said you can't do it.
>
> i did not say that.

Why do you always fabricate functionality for iOS that never exists?

Most of your responses assume people write all their own apps for example.

You hate that iOS is a crippled operating system compared to Android.

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 25, 2021, 4:27:51 AM8/25/21
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> asked
> I'd rather have the phone create a new folder, with a name based on the
> date, for each day you take photos.

Most Android Camera apps intelligently name each photo in /DCIM/Camera/.
using the time down to the seconds to prevent clashes and even then they can
still handle a timing clash easily because Android apps are robust.

For some reason, the iPhone is too dumb as far as I know to do even
something _that_ simple - so it's another feature for your useful comparison
sheet.

In addition, free Android apps have no problem _combining_ photos from
_multiple_ locations (even from multiple sdcards) into a coherently named
single folder (at your choice).

Try that on an iOS device (another one for your useful comparison sheet).

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 25, 2021, 4:29:50 AM8/25/21
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> asked
> the photos have unique names. the different folders are due to file
> system limitations. the specific folder name does not matter.

The Android file system has no problem where you say iOS' file system does.

> this is not a new concept and not unique to apple. it applies to
> *every* digital camera.

What you're proving clearly is the iPhone is no smarter than a dumb camera.

As usual, to own an iPhone is to be crippled.

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 25, 2021, 4:32:28 AM8/25/21
Lewis <g.k...@kreme.dont-email.me> asked
> Yes, and manually removing the photos from the iPhone is a sure sign of
> doing stupid shit wrong on sms's part, as is so often the case.

Why is it that these Apple zealots claim that the only way anyone should
ever do things is the (clearly crippled) way Apple wants them to do it?

What happened to choice?

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 25, 2021, 4:34:33 AM8/25/21
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> asked
> it's not just iphones. manually copying and/or removing photos from any
> camera (or memory card) is stupid.

Why is it that Android phones have no problem with photo naming using any
method the user wants to use and yet iPhones are crippled in that way?

What happened to choice?

> smartphones can also sync via the cloud, an option not available with
> traditional cameras.

If iOS needs the cloud to move a file 3 feet, the iOS device is crippled.

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 25, 2021, 4:37:31 AM8/25/21
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> asked
> How iOS can take something that should be so straightforward and simple,
> and make it so unintuitive and complex, must have taken a lot of effort.
> Unless the camera makers, and Google, patented the more logical system.

What's interesting is most iOS owners don't even realize iOS is crippled.
But then again, all they do is play games & do things the Apple way.
If it can't be done the Apple way, the iOS user always just gives up.

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 25, 2021, 4:39:49 AM8/25/21
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> asked
> there is nothing unintuitive nor complex about how ios handles its
> camera, which works exactly the same as other digital cameras going
> back more than 20 years.

What nospam is saying is iOS is no smarter than a 20 year old camera.

> easier still, sync via the cloud.

If you have to use the cloud to move it 3 feet, then iOS is crippled.

> any problems you may be having are entirely of your own creation,
> assuming the story is even true.

You don't seem to even be aware that the iOS photo file system is archaic.

>> Unless the camera makers, and Google, patented the more logical system.
>
> tin foil, aisle 4.

He was using sarcasm to point out how well Android handles the file system.

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 25, 2021, 4:42:42 AM8/25/21
Zaidy036 <Zaid...@air.isp.spam> asked
> If it can be done manually it can be done by batch.

Two questions of Zaidy for his useful batch file idea.

1. Does the batch file still work when iTunes is installed on Windows?
2. Why not just assign the iPad a drive letter or use SMB/CIFS?

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 25, 2021, 4:47:40 AM8/25/21
Chris <ithi...@gmail.com> asked

> You were complaining about going into several folders to delete many files.
> My suggestion was to help with that.
>
> If you'd rather simply complain about a non-issue, then go ahead.

Notice when the Apple zealot Chris is caught being stupid (again), he then
runs another attack on the OP for simply wanting to do what Chris can't do.

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 25, 2021, 4:49:21 AM8/25/21
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> asked
> you're catching on. trolling is *exactly* what he's doing.

Why is sms trolling for wanting to do on iOS what he can do extremely easily
on Android (and which _many_ people easily do all the time on Android)?

Why is choice so evil to you Apple zealots?

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 25, 2021, 4:51:00 AM8/25/21
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> asked
> iphones present as standard digital cameras. whatever works for a nikon
> or canon camera also works for an iphone.

In other words the iPhone is no smarter than a 20 year old dumb camera is.

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 25, 2021, 4:56:18 AM8/25/21
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> asked
>> At least in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, you can't delete those folders and their
>> contents either. I just tried. And unlike in Windows 10, you also can't
>> even delete the individual files within those folders.
>
> user error.

This is one time that the nospam Apple zealot actually guessed right.
You have full rwd permission with native Ubuntu in the iOS DCIM folder.

You have those full permissions in _many_ other iOS folders too.

So, for example, you can move a video from the iOS VLC folder into the DCIM
folder (and vice versa) or any file in any of those iOS sandbox folders.

I do it all the time.
There is _one_ trick you need to know to make sure that you can _also_ move
the files to and from the _Windows 10_ folders at the same time you're
moving them to and from the _Ubuntu_ folders (but you're not asking for
that).

But notice you have only two operating systems and yet you can move the
files from any of three (Windows, Linux, and iOS) and even more if you plug
in your USB stick or Android into USB.

Try _that_ with the iTunes bloatware!

-hh

Aug 25, 2021, 5:01:19 AM8/25/21
On Tuesday, August 24, 2021 at 6:30:04 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:
> On 8/24/2021 1:35 PM, -hh wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > With nospam's pedantry attempts, it *is* necessary.
>
> LOL, true, with our favorite troll's strong commitment to misinformation
> you can't be too careful.

Yup.

> <snip>
> > Except for when discussing how the camera automatically creates folders
> > for those files.
> >
> >> all of the info about the photo is contained in metadata, namely exif.
> >
> > Some of which is used by the camera's OS to decide what folder it will put it in,
> > which was what this subthread's been discussing.
>
> On one of my Canon cameras you can have the camera set up to create a
> new folder either every day or every month. Even if a folder isn't full
> the camera will jump to the next day or month.
>
> Here's what it looks like under Windows:
> <https://i.imgur.com/YpBBr3r.jpeg>. Of course you can copy files, delete
> files, and delete folders.

Gosh, someone had better tell the resident pedantic troll that that automatic
naming strategy isn't part of their cited Design rule for Camera File system (DCF).

> The Canon camera can't be set up as a storage drive with a drive letter
> for batch processing, though of course if you take the SD card out of
> the camera and stick it into the computer you of course get that
> functionality.

I've generally pulled my cards to do such transfers; I'm used to that workflow,
and USB-C is faster to transfer than the camera's USB-2 connection.

> How iOS can take something that should be so straightforward and simple,
> and make it so unintuitive and complex, must have taken a lot of effort.
> Unless the camera makers, and Google, patented the more logical system.

I suspect that when you mentioned "100APPLE, 100CLOUD, 101..." that it
may have to do with Apple's non-standard use of the DCF protocol, where
I'm assuming the "xxxCLOUD" subfolders are present to address Apple's
organizational method for managing their synchronization of the contents
of each "xxxAPPLE" folder with the cloud.

I've never bothered to look into the iOS file structure much at all, so I'm a
bit curious as to what the seemingly-duplicative respective subfolder contents
do: does one subfolder (e.g., xxxAPPLE) contain the actual camera image file
while the other (e.g. xxxCLOUD) contains an alias of each, or something?

-hh

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 25, 2021, 5:03:07 AM8/25/21
Lewis <g.k...@kreme.dont-email.me> asked
>> I think that if you want to do this [delete photos] you have to Jailbreak.
>
> I am sure that you do think this, it is just the sort of asinine idiocy
> your would believe. It is nonsense, of course.

I have so much more respect for sms over these stupid Apple zealots now.

Clearly, while the Apple zealots (Lewis, nospam, Joerg, Chris, etc.) are
idiots who have never tried what sms is attempting, I can tell sms tried it.

What sms doesn't know is the simple (but not intuitive) one-character trick
to make the iOS file system read/write/delete when plugged into Ubuntu.

This one-character trick is not intuitive, which is how I know everyone who
doesn't know it is full of shit when they claim they've done what I've done.

They're just stupid (like all these Apple zealots always prove to be).

If sms simply googles for the trick he'll find it in this very newsgroup.
He'll also find it in the linux newsgroup. And in the Windows newsgroup.

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 25, 2021, 5:10:01 AM8/25/21
-hh <recscub...@huntzinger.com> asked
>>> With nospam's pedantry attempts, it *is* necessary.
>>
>> LOL, true, with our favorite troll's strong commitment to misinformation
>> you can't be too careful.
>
> Yup.

The thing you learn with nospam is he only has a small repertoire of tricks.
All of his tricks are to defend Apple's lack of functionality to the death.

His main trick is to say you don't need to do anything any other way than
what Apple tells you to do (even if Apple says you can't do it but you can).

Another key trick of nospam's is to fabricate out of thin air hundreds of
fake apps that nobody can ever find on the app store (not even nospam).

Yet another key trick of nospam's is to blame everyone but Apple for the
lack of functionality of iOS (eg Google made Apple cripple the iPhone).

In this case, nospam will claim functionality that "can" be done perhaps if
you are an Apple developer with all the right tools and training where
nospam assumes _every_ person on the planet must then be that developer in
order to get the iPhone to do even the most basic of the most simple things.

Like delete a folder.

Anyway that's what I think nospam is doing here with sms where you called it
"pedantry" but it's really just one of his ploys to defend Apple to the
death (in this case, to defend iOS's almost complete lack of file system
management functionality).

Zaidy036

Aug 25, 2021, 9:06:11 AM8/25/21
1. Yes but I think it should not be running when using the batch.
2. Not sure what SMB/CIFS is. OP is not using an iPad, I am traveling with
one and cannot test.

Batch details should match what File Explorer uses when manually accessing
the camera. If it assigns a drive letter that changes batch can find by
something like:

For %%I in (D E F G <all drive letters to check>) if exist %%I:<path to
DICF folder> set drv=%%I

--
Zaidy036

Chris

Aug 25, 2021, 9:14:12 AM8/25/21
Robin Goodfellow <Ancient...@Heaven.Net> wrote:
> Chris <ithi...@gmail.com> asked
>>

>> If that's what they do then it's non-compliant with the DCF standard.
>
> It's only those dumb Camera and the even dumber iPhone DCIM folders that are
> of that idiotic numerical form where you'd expect a _computer_ device (such
> as an iPhone is) to not be as dumb as a typical ancient camera was long ago.

It's laughable that you're complaining about compliance with a standard.
I'd bet if it were the other way around you'd complain about iOS being
non-standard.

>> There's no solution. He can't delete those folders. End of story.
>
> Again, please, I beg you to not prove to be so stupid every time you post.
> He can easily delete them and I showed him how (and I do it all the time).

When you say "I" which one of your many, many nyms are you talking about?

Bob Campbell

Aug 25, 2021, 9:30:42 AM8/25/21
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
> I have created elaborate batch files for renaming, copying, and deleting
> files, but without the iPhone being assigned a drive letter by Windows
> there doesn't seem to be any way to run a batch file on the contents.

Only a dedicated Windows geek would even think of such nonsense. Why in
the world would ANYONE need “elaborate batch files” to manage pictures on
a phone? Why not just plug it in and let the automatic copy process
happen?

The answer, of courser, is that you are a troll. ALL of your questions
have been about absurdly complex methods to do extremely simple things.

Complaining about the inability to assign a “drive letter” to an iPhone is
possibly the dumbest complaint I have ever seen on Usenet. And as you can
imagine, that’s up against some very stiff competition.

How about using a green screen 80x25 text monitor as an external screen?
Have you tried that on an iPhone? How about a 300 baud acoustic modem?
Maybe you have a parallel port printer you are itching to drag out of the
attic?

As someone else said, billions of people move pictures from phones to PCs
and Macs and iPads without even plugging in a cable. That you think you
need “elaborate batch files” means you are either retarded or a troll.

A good case good be made that you are both.

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 25, 2021, 10:07:05 AM8/25/21
Bob Campbell <nu...@none.none> asked
> ALL of your questions
> have been about absurdly complex methods to do extremely simple things.

It's interesting how consistent these idiot Apple zealots are when they are
confronted with something every other operating system does but iOS can't.

*Even the _simplest_ most basic of things are almost impossible with iOS.*
Like deleting a folder.

What these idiot Apple zealots do is claim that nobody could possibly ever
want to do what every other operating system but iOS easily does.

To own an iPhone is to own a crippled device.

Robin Goodfellow

Aug 25, 2021, 10:17:17 AM8/25/21
Zaidy036 <Zaid...@air.isp.spam> asked
>> 1. Does the batch file still work when iTunes is installed on Windows?
>> 2. Why not just assign the iPad a drive letter or use SMB/CIFS?
>>

> 1. Yes but I think it should not be running when using the batch.

The first time I realized iTunes _reduces_ functionality was when I was
using SharePod freeware to copy MP3 files to iPods on Windows long ago.

The great thing about SharePod freeware at that time was it worked with
ANYTYHING (that is, any machine, any file, any iPod, etc) as it didn't need
an "iCloud" account or login bullshit that Apple used to restrict users.

But the instant iTunes was installed, you _lost_ almost all that
functionality (until you uninstalled iTunes, which came with a whole shit
ton of untested shitware from Apple like Bonjour, Quicktime, etc.).]

That's when I realized the instant you install iTunes shitware, your Windows
machine _loses_ functionality. I don't know how those idiot Apple zealots
put up with that iTunes shitware but they seem to love that shitware.

> 2. Not sure what SMB/CIFS is. OP is not using an iPad, I am traveling with
> one and cannot test.

It's how Windows does shares.
For example Linux connects to Windows CIFS/SMB using Samba.
It's how the public shared folders work, for example.

I've used SMB/Samba/CIFS with Android a lot, where there's an issue with
ports which I won't delve into here as it's really a Windows limitation.

> Batch details should match what File Explorer uses when manually accessing
> the camera. If it assigns a drive letter that changes batch can find by
> something like:
>
> For %%I in (D E F G <all drive letters to check>) if exist %%I:<path to
> DICF folder> set drv=%%I

With Android I've many times assigned the entire phone a drive letter on
Windows using a variety of methods. You can do it with FTP and WebDAV for
example, but each has its quirks due to the ports used and how they're used.

sms

Aug 25, 2021, 11:13:46 AM8/25/21
On 8/25/2021 6:30 AM, Bob Campbell wrote:
> sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
>> I have created elaborate batch files for renaming, copying, and deleting
>> files, but without the iPhone being assigned a drive letter by Windows
>> there doesn't seem to be any way to run a batch file on the contents.
>
> Only a dedicated Windows geek would even think of such nonsense. Why in
> the world would ANYONE need “elaborate batch files” to manage pictures on
> a phone? Why not just plug it in and let the automatic copy process
> happen?

The batch files are not for photos, they are for audio tracks from my
CDs. The default file naming and MP3 tagging are not ideal. The default
naming can also result in other issues depending on the device that they
are being played on (phone, USB stick plugged into a vehicle's audio
system, etc.). You want to have the mp3 files named in a way that
whatever device is playing them they are played in the proper order.

Renaming each track using a GUI would be extremely time consuming. A
batch file does it very quickly. I know that some people have never used
a command line interface or batch files and would have no idea how to do
any of this, and would rename each track one by one in a laborious
time-consuming procedure. It could be that you're too young to even know
what a batch file is, and many non-technical people have never seen a
DOS prompt!

Rather than resorting to insults and accusations, you should attempt to
understand that the world does not revolve around you, and any time
someone asks a question about how to do something they are not
necessarily trolling. The question about assigning a drive letter to a
phone's mass storage has been asked by hundreds of different people
(Google it!) for both iPhone and Android. There's an Android app that
enables this (Webdav). iExplorer for Windows claims to support this
(with greater support for Jailbroken iPhones) but personally I could not
get it to work.

I added this as #107.

26 iOS Features Some of Which [many] Android Users Wish they Had
107 Android Features Some of Which [many] iOS Users Wish they Had

<https://tinyurl.com/fzje7h9e> or
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JznrWfGJDA8CYVfjSnPTwfVy8-gAC0kPyaApuJTcUNE>

40 Pages of Extensively Referenced Information with Hundreds of
Citations

✓ 100% Fact Checked ✓

sms

Aug 25, 2021, 11:41:26 AM8/25/21
Alas, you cannot assign a drive letter to the iPhone, at least not easily.

The paid Windows iExplorer application
<https://macroplant.com/iexplorer/mount-iphone-disk-mode-file-folder-access>
claims to provide that capability. Maybe someone else can try it, but I
could never get it to work as advertised.

Assigning a drive letter to an Android phone is relatively easy, using
the Webdav free app
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theolivetree.webdavserver>
which I tried and it works well.

Apparently older versions of Windows assigned drive letters to iPhones
but that might not work with newer versions of iOS.

Being able to see the iPhone storage as a mass storage device under
Windows is a question that is frequently asked on various iPhone forums,
always with the same answer: not possible on a non-jailbroken iPhone.
Invariably someone will respond with "there's never a need to do that,"
but that is demonstrably untrue.

sms

Aug 25, 2021, 11:48:43 AM8/25/21
There's another advantage to the memory card as well. I use MicroSD
cards in my cameras, with the MicroSD to SD card adapter. If I don't
have a computer with me then I can then stick the MicroSD card into the
phone if I want to upload the photos to the cloud, or e-mail them. Of
course some cameras now have their own Wi-Fi so that would obviate the
need to do this.

<snip>

> I suspect that when you mentioned "100APPLE, 100CLOUD, 101..." that it
> may have to do with Apple's non-standard use of the DCF protocol, where
> I'm assuming the "xxxCLOUD" subfolders are present to address Apple's
> organizational method for managing their synchronization of the contents
> of each "xxxAPPLE" folder with the cloud.

Well actually my original post turned out be unnecessary. I didn't
realize that those empty folders would be automatically deleted by iOS
when the phone was disconnected than reconnected, it's just not possible
to delete the empty folders yourself.

sms

Aug 25, 2021, 12:04:33 PM8/25/21
Again, go back and read the actual question.

Me: "So what do you do to remove a folder that you've deleted all the
photos from? It appears to not be possible (other than perhaps by doing
a system reset)."

You: "I mean ctrl+A and then Delete is not that hard, is it?"

Do you really not understand that I asked how to remove a folder, not
the files within a folder? Hmm, I think that you really do understand,
since the question was pretty clear. For whatever reason you decided to
answer a different question.

Unfortunately this kind of thing is pretty common on various forums.
Someone doesn't know the answer to a question but for some reason they
feel compelled to say something, anything, so they reply with something
unrelated to the question that was asked. Consider not doing this, it
doesn't reflect well.

nospam

Aug 25, 2021, 12:49:07 PM8/25/21
In article <ReOdneGHm_hh2Lv8...@supernews.com>, Bob
Campbell <nu...@none.none> wrote:

> sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
> > I have created elaborate batch files for renaming, copying, and deleting
> > files, but without the iPhone being assigned a drive letter by Windows
> > there doesn't seem to be any way to run a batch file on the contents.
>
> Only a dedicated Windows geek would even think of such nonsense. Why in
> the world would ANYONE need łelaborate batch files˛ to manage pictures on
> a phone? Why not just plug it in and let the automatic copy process
> happen?
>
> The answer, of courser, is that you are a troll. ALL of your questions
> have been about absurdly complex methods to do extremely simple things.
>
> Complaining about the inability to assign a łdrive letter˛ to an iPhone is
> possibly the dumbest complaint I have ever seen on Usenet. And as you can
> imagine, thatąs up against some very stiff competition.
>
> How about using a green screen 80x25 text monitor as an external screen?
> Have you tried that on an iPhone? How about a 300 baud acoustic modem?
> Maybe you have a parallel port printer you are itching to drag out of the
> attic?
>
> As someone else said, billions of people move pictures from phones to PCs
> and Macs and iPads without even plugging in a cable. That you think you
> need łelaborate batch files˛ means you are either retarded or a troll.
>
> A good case good be made that you are both.

exactly correct.

he's been at this for years.

his 'stories' sound good on the surface, but are usually fabricated.

those who actually know how the devices work can easily see the many
holes in his 'stories'.

unfortunately, some people fall for his bullshit.

nospam

Aug 25, 2021, 12:49:08 PM8/25/21
In article <sg5mn9$9hk$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> On 8/25/2021 6:30 AM, Bob Campbell wrote:
> > sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
> >> I have created elaborate batch files for renaming, copying, and deleting
> >> files, but without the iPhone being assigned a drive letter by Windows
> >> there doesn't seem to be any way to run a batch file on the contents.
> >
> > Only a dedicated Windows geek would even think of such nonsense. Why in
> > the world would ANYONE need łelaborate batch files˛ to manage pictures on
> > a phone? Why not just plug it in and let the automatic copy process
> > happen?
>
> The batch files are not for photos, they are for audio tracks from my
> CDs. The default file naming and MP3 tagging are not ideal. The default
> naming can also result in other issues depending on the device that they
> are being played on (phone, USB stick plugged into a vehicle's audio
> system, etc.). You want to have the mp3 files named in a way that
> whatever device is playing them they are played in the proper order.

the names of mp3 files are completely irrelevant and have been for
many, many years.

id3 tags are what's used now and are *far* more capable than file names
could ever possibly be.

> Renaming each track using a GUI would be extremely time consuming. A
> batch file does it very quickly. I know that some people have never used
> a command line interface or batch files and would have no idea how to do
> any of this, and would rename each track one by one in a laborious
> time-consuming procedure.

there is no need to rename anything. full stop.

nevertheless, for those who insist on renaming files for some reason,
there are apps designed to do exactly that. no batch files required.

and that's assuming the story is even true.

> It could be that you're too young to even know
> what a batch file is, and many non-technical people have never seen a
> DOS prompt!

you're resorting to insults...

> Rather than resorting to insults and accusations,

...except you just did exactly that.

> you should attempt to
> understand that the world does not revolve around you, and any time
> someone asks a question about how to do something they are not
> necessarily trolling.

in your case, it is definitely trolling, and now you're trying to spin
the situation.

> The question about assigning a drive letter to a
> phone's mass storage has been asked by hundreds of different people
> (Google it!) for both iPhone and Android.

'hundreds of different people' out of a couple of billion smartphone
users is nothing. it's a non-issue.

the other 99.99999% don't have any such problem because the computer
does the work *for* them.

drive letters and batch files are not needed.

> There's an Android app that
> enables this (Webdav). iExplorer for Windows claims to support this
> (with greater support for Jailbroken iPhones) but personally I could not
> get it to work.

that's because you have absolutely no clue what you're doing and are
simply trolling.

drive letters are easy, except that they aren't needed for what you
supposedly want to do.

tl;dr - the story doesn't add up in many different ways.

> I added this as #107.

of course you did.

nospam

Aug 25, 2021, 12:49:09 PM8/25/21
In article <sg5ob5$9ms$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> Alas, you cannot assign a drive letter to the iPhone, at least not easily.

there is no need to do so.

> Apparently older versions of Windows assigned drive letters to iPhones
> but that might not work with newer versions of iOS.

any issues with drive letters is entirely a windows issue.

> Being able to see the iPhone storage as a mass storage device under
> Windows is a question that is frequently asked on various iPhone forums,

no it isn't.

> always with the same answer: not possible on a non-jailbroken iPhone.

false.

> Invariably someone will respond with "there's never a need to do that,"

that answer is correct. there isn't a need to do that.

> but that is demonstrably untrue.

it's exactly true, which can easily be demonstrated by accomplishing
the tasks for which you think you need a drive letter without using a
drive letter, and doing so in a much easier manner. it's a win-win.

nospam

Aug 25, 2021, 12:49:10 PM8/25/21
In article <sg5ooq$hv5$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> Well actually my original post turned out be unnecessary. I didn't
> realize that those empty folders would be automatically deleted by iOS
> when the phone was disconnected than reconnected, it's just not possible
> to delete the empty folders yourself.

another example of doing things wrong and where the computer does the
work *for* you.
It is loading more messages.