GPS loggers for iPhone.

pe...@easthope.ca

Feb 21, 2024, 2:49:48 PMFeb 21

To allow mapping, I want to log points while walking a trail and
upload a GPX or KML file without paying a fee.

For Android, GPS Logger from BasicAirData serves very well. Is there
a comparable app for iPhone?

Thanks, ... Peter E.

Jolly Roger

Feb 21, 2024, 3:19:01 PMFeb 21
On 2024-02-21, pe...@easthope.ca <pe...@easthope.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To allow mapping, I want to log points while walking a trail and
> upload a GPX or KML file without paying a fee.
>
> For Android, GPS Logger from BasicAirData serves very well. Is there
> a comparable app for iPhone?

A quick search of the App Store shows plenty.

JR

pe...@easthope.ca

Feb 21, 2024, 3:38:39 PMFeb 21
In article <l3n45j...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> A quick search of the App Store shows plenty.

Yes, there are several or many GPS loggers. I installed a shiny app,
logged a trail and found coordinates couldn't be uploaded without a
payment.

Shiny won't help; I need a simple and functional app without payment.
Hoping that someone can recommend based upon first-hand experience.

Thanks, ... P.

Jolly Roger

Feb 21, 2024, 3:45:57 PMFeb 21
On 2024-02-21, pe...@easthope.ca <pe...@easthope.ca> wrote:
> In article <l3n45j...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
><jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> A quick search of the App Store shows plenty.
>
> Yes, there are several or many GPS loggers. I installed a shiny app,
> logged a trail and found coordinates couldn't be uploaded without a
> payment.
>
> Shiny won't help; I need a simple and functional app without payment.

Counterpoint: If an app is useful to you, you shouldn't mind supporting
the developer of the app. And if you purchased a smartphone with the
intention of never buying a single app, you probably should have stuck
with Android.

Sten deJoode

Feb 21, 2024, 6:26:12 PMFeb 21
On 21 Feb 2024 11:49:44 -0700, pe...@easthope.ca wrote:

> For Android, GPS Logger from BasicAirData serves very well. Is there
> a comparable app for iPhone?

There are 53 free and advertisement free and in-app purchase free apps that
show up in a search for "GPS Logger" in the Google Play Store, but only one
is by BasicAirData so I thank you for saying which particular one it was.

Here is the link.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.basicairdata.graziano.gpslogger

For the iOS users - try to run this powerful sort+filter for an Apple app!
https://i.postimg.cc/q7zvZYfc/gpslogger.jpg

sticks

Feb 21, 2024, 6:32:37 PMFeb 21
I use the free version of Gaia for daily hikes and biking, as well as
planning things in mountainous regions. It's really very good.

<https://www.gaiagps.com/>

--
Stand With Israel!

Sten deJoode

Feb 21, 2024, 6:49:47 PMFeb 21
On 21 Feb 2024 12:38:37 -0700, pe...@easthope.ca wrote:

> I need a simple and functional app without payment.

A search on iOS should be able to find the app that _you_ want
(and not just apps that make money for Apple and any given developer).

A sort works for YOU.
Not for Apple.

Therefore, you should be able to sort on iOS just like you do on Android.
https://i.postimg.cc/q7zvZYfc/gpslogger.jpg

In Android, when you search for any given keywords, you are able to use
regular expressions, but my example simply used a direct sort of
"gps logger" (there are all sorts of regular expressions allowed!)

Doesn't iOS have that regular expression sort feature for their App Store?

In addition, for Android, you can choose to sort on multiple repositories.
But more to the sort for iOS, in Android you can set the filters and the
sort criteria to be far more efficient in selecting the best app for you.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=scadica.aq

A typical Android sort takes into account hundreds of possible filters,
but the 30 most-often used filters for seeking & sorting are these 30:
1. No ads (or No ads/removable ads)
2. Free
3. No in-app purchases
4. User rating (where you can set the limit range)
5. Number of ratings (where you can set the limit range)

If you know you're going to purchase an app, you can check if it's on sale
6. On sale

Or if you're willing to accept in-app purchases, you can check that box
7. Has in-app purchases

And if you are using Play Pass, you can check if that is applicable too
8. Play Pass
9. Play Store installable

There are a few more basic but rather useful switches such as
10. Default exclusions
11. Number of downloads (where you can set the limit range)
12. Recent downloads/month (where you can set the limit range)
13. Price range (where you can set the limit range)
l4. In-app price range (where you can set the limit range)
15. Date updated (where you can set the limit range)
16. Date released (where you can set the limit range)
17. Content rating (where you can set the limit range)
18. Download size (where you can set the limit range)
19. Required Android (where you can set the limit range)
20. Target API (where you can set the limit range)
21. Extended filter ranges (where you can set the limit range)

From those filters, you can then select your sort criteria such as
22. Sort by Relevance
23. Average user rating
24. Number of ratings
25. Number of downloads
26. Recent downloads/month
27. Downloads/month increase %
28. Date released
29. Date updated
30. Download size

There are hundreds more (due to the use of regular expressions),
and due to the ability to spoof your API and to spoof your hardware,
and to spoof your gps location for the regionally restricted apps,
but one question to ask the OP is why not use an equivalent search
for the iOS app that the OP is looking to install?

How many of just those basic 30 things does the iOS sort allow you?

Jolly Roger

Feb 21, 2024, 7:21:17 PMFeb 21
On 2024-02-21, Sten deJoode <Stend...@nospam.net> wrote:
> On 21 Feb 2024 12:38:37 -0700, pe...@easthope.ca wrote:
>
>> I need a simple and functional app without payment.
>
> [reams of "iOS is inferior, y'all" text omitted]

Yes, Arlen. We get it. You have a huge grudge against Apple and have no
helpful answer for the OP.

Alan Browne

Feb 21, 2024, 8:25:08 PMFeb 21
I use "Trails". Free as long as you keep the number of recorded tracks
to 5 or less (in the app on your phone). Once you export a track to
your computer (in various formats) and delete it from your phone, you're
good to go.

If you're traveling, then export the track to Notes, and delete it from
the app to keep the number of files managed by the app to 5 or less.

I have other apps as well, that I paid for a long time ago and they
still work many updates of iOS later ...

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Rod Speed

Feb 21, 2024, 9:23:19 PMFeb 21
On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 07:45:54 +1100, Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com>
wrote:

> On 2024-02-21, pe...@easthope.ca <pe...@easthope.ca> wrote:
>> In article <l3n45j...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
>> <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>> A quick search of the App Store shows plenty.
>>
>> Yes, there are several or many GPS loggers. I installed a shiny app,
>> logged a trail and found coordinates couldn't be uploaded without a
>> payment.
>>
>> Shiny won't help; I need a simple and functional app without payment.
>
> Counterpoint: If an app is useful to you, you shouldn't mind supporting
> the developer of the app.

But it makes sense to use one that does what
you want for free if you can find one that does.

Jolly Roger

Feb 21, 2024, 10:37:51 PMFeb 21
It also makes sense to pay for one that does it better or does more than
a free one.

Bernd Froehlich

Feb 22, 2024, 2:26:23 AMFeb 22
On 21. Feb 2024 at 20:38:37 CET, "pe...@easthope.ca" <pe...@easthope.ca>
wrote:

> Yes, there are several or many GPS loggers. I installed a shiny app,
> logged a trail and found coordinates couldn't be uploaded without a
> payment.
>
> Shiny won't help; I need a simple and functional app without payment.
> Hoping that someone can recommend based upon first-hand experience.

Try GPX Tracker.

Rod Speed

Feb 22, 2024, 3:34:33 AMFeb 22
On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 14:37:48 +1100, Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com>
wrote:

> On 2024-02-22, Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 07:45:54 +1100, Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Counterpoint: If an app is useful to you, you shouldn't mind
>>> supporting the developer of the app.
>>
>> But it makes sense to use one that does what you want for free if you
>> can find one that does.
>
> It also makes sense to pay for one that does it better or does more than
> a free one.

But it hasnt been established that that is the case

Chris

Feb 22, 2024, 7:43:24 AMFeb 22
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2024-02-21, pe...@easthope.ca <pe...@easthope.ca> wrote:
>> In article <l3n45j...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
>> <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>> A quick search of the App Store shows plenty.
>>
>> Yes, there are several or many GPS loggers. I installed a shiny app,
>> logged a trail and found coordinates couldn't be uploaded without a
>> payment.
>>
>> Shiny won't help; I need a simple and functional app without payment.
>
> Counterpoint: If an app is useful to you, you shouldn't mind supporting
> the developer of the app.

Surely you are aware that free apps can be profitable for developers,
right?

> And if you purchased a smartphone with the
> intention of never buying a single app, you probably should have stuck
> with Android.

Are you really that dumb?

Chris

Feb 22, 2024, 7:53:41 AMFeb 22
Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2024-02-21 13:49, pe...@easthope.ca wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> To allow mapping, I want to log points while walking a trail and
>> upload a GPX or KML file without paying a fee.
>>
>> For Android, GPS Logger from BasicAirData serves very well. Is there
>> a comparable app for iPhone?
>>
>> Thanks, ... Peter E.
>
> I use "Trails". Free as long as you keep the number of recorded tracks
> to 5 or less (in the app on your phone).

That's a great app. However, the free version is only one that works as
since 2022 it has stopped accepting payment and it hasn't been updated in
three years.

A real shame it's an orphan as I haven't been able to find any alternative
which matches it.

Alan Browne

Feb 22, 2024, 9:03:39 AMFeb 22
Well, I have it (and it works), and other apps that I paid for that
work. Trails is the most convenient to use - and I can start/stop and
monitor it from my Watch. (Not that that is all that necessary)

Not sure if anyone who never DL'd it before can still pull it (Trails)
off of the AppStore.