Simultaneously slide Windows Linux iOS Android files back & forth over USB at 2GB per minute speeds using 100% native devices (no proprietary software needed)

Arlen Holder

Sep 14, 2018, 10:58:49 AM9/14/18
I post this FYI so others know how *easy* it is to *simultaneously* slide
huge files both ways over USB to *any* iOS, Android, Windows, & Linux
device at speeds around 2GB per minute.

No proprietary software or ID logins required (other than native basics).

At home, I have Windows 10 desktops with dual-boot Ubuntu 18.04, where I
can connect *any* Android or iOS device (not just my own) and slide huge
files back in forth in a single swipe, read and write, over USB.

*Simultaneously*
Over four systems!

HINT: You can slide across 4 systems, with only 3 devices!

This works because Ubuntu 18.04 automatically mounts all four file systems,
read and write, without any additional software other than what typically
comes by default with a normal Ubuntu 18.04 desktop installation.

This test today to the iPad went at 2GB per minute on a decade old desktop.
1. Plug in the iOS or Android device - it automatically mounts.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8918650usb01.jpg>
2. Slide huge files from any device to any other device in one swoop:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8157466usb02.jpg>
3. Elapsed time over old USB was a few seconds over two minutes:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2107706usb03.jpg>

*Note that on all four devices you have *zero* additional software.*

The only software is what is commonly installed when you install the OS.
HINT: That means no Orwellian iTunes or AirDrop abominations, for example.

Note that all four devices have *simultaneous* read/write access.
They don't even have to be *your* devices (i.e., no Apple or Android ID).

If you know of a cross-platform method *easier & faster* than just plugging
in *any* device (it doesn't even have to be yours!) and sliding any visible
files back and forth simultaneously, then let me know!

*If it isn't this easy for you too, then you are doing something wrong.*

Arlen Holder

Sep 14, 2018, 12:34:18 PM9/14/18
On 14 Sep 2018 14:58:48 GMT, Arlen Holder wrote:

> This works because Ubuntu 18.04 automatically mounts all four file systems,
> read and write, without any additional software other than what typically
> comes by default with a normal Ubuntu 18.04 desktop installation.

Someone complained about the bild.me site, so I wrote this in response:

I've used http://bild.me for a long time where nobody complained.
But since there was a typo in the original files anyway, I modified them
just now, and uploaded them using http://fileconvoy.com

These files will be deleted in 21 days, but they're available now.

<http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=gcb6a0b17f6ad694c1000113621fa665a5352f6f259>

If you have a better free no-reg photo upload site, let me know and I'll
use that instead.

Mainly, the screenshots simply prove I did the file transfer between the
mobile device and the Windows system disk, without even Windows being
booted (it needs to NOT be set to hibernate though).

I provide proof with screenshots since there is always a "genius" who
claims to have a "better" method which he can never explain.

I've been on Usenet for decades, where some "genius" always claims to have
a better file transfer method - which never exists when you ask for proof.

This cross platform file transfer method is the *best* I can think of,
since it has zero restrictions, it works on everything, and, it requires no
software other than what comes with a typical system.

I doubt there is a *better* mechanism on this planet - but if you know of a
better mechanism for transferring large files between Windows and Ubuntu
and iOS and Android - please let us all know because this is as good as it
gets as far as I know.

nospam

Sep 14, 2018, 2:29:12 PM9/14/18
In article <pngnu9$tcj$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen Holder
<arlen...@nospam.net> wrote:

> If you have a better free no-reg photo upload site, let me know and I'll
> use that instead.

imgur.com

> This cross platform file transfer method is the *best* I can think of,

that doesn't say much about your ability to think.

joe

Sep 14, 2018, 3:20:02 PM9/14/18
On 9/14/2018 11:34 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> On 14 Sep 2018 14:58:48 GMT, Arlen Holder wrote:
>

> This cross platform file transfer method is the *best* I can think of,
> since it has zero restrictions, it works on everything, and, it requires no
> software other than what comes with a typical system.

Really? How many typical systems come with the ability to dual boot
Ubuntu out of the box?

Don't you have to install Ubuntu to make this work? That looks like a
1500 MB download. How much disk space does that require to install?

I would suspect for most Windows users just installing iTunes would be
much easier.

Arlen Holder

Sep 14, 2018, 5:23:07 PM9/14/18
On 14 Sep 2018 11:29:12 GMT, nospam wrote:

>> This cross platform file transfer method is the *best* I can think of,
>
> that doesn't say much about your ability to think.

You Apple Apologists love to play your childish silly games.

I posit a better cross platform USB file transfer solution doesn't exist.

I'd love for an Apple Apologist to come up with something that actually
works in the real world, but, as you all know, Apple clearly states that
the real world is "not supported".

So all your childish fifth-grade quips prove is that you know nothing.

Let's give you a chance, nospam, to prove you're NOT a silly child.

Tell us: What cross platform USB method works better for transferring huge
files to all the major consumer desktops, if it's not the method outlined.

HINT: You have none. All you _can_ do is play your silly childish games.

Arlen Holder

Sep 14, 2018, 5:33:49 PM9/14/18
On 14 Sep 2018 12:19:59 GMT, joe wrote:

> I would suspect for most Windows users just installing iTunes would be
> much easier.

Hi Joe,

I realize you're an Apple Apologist, and, since I've dealt with you in the
past, I know you're a clone of Alan Brown and nospam, where all you _can_
do is play your silly childish fifth-grade games.

You're always wrong, in that you suggest, of all things, the iTunes
abomination, which you don't even realize doesn't work on Linux.

Remember ... Apple is on record for stating unequivocally that the real
world is :"not supported", so, even with all your genius at playing your
childish fifth-grade silly semantic games, you can't dance around the fact
that Apple systems are not designed by Apple to work in the real world.

However, I realize you're *trying* to act like an intelligent adult.
So ... let's see if you can prove you're an *adult*, shall we?

HINT: Adults rarely exist on Apple newsgroups, as proven daily by the fact
that the Apple Apologist can only *play* their silly semantic games - but
I'll give you, Joe, the benefit of the doubt in this regard.

Let's speak facts, shall we?
HINT: That's what adults do.

The one test I haven't been able to run recently on common consumer
desktops is how well the Mac handles this cross platform problem set.

Realizing that Apple is on record for stating that the real world is simply
"not supported", it may very well be that nobody on this planet can do on
the Mac what we can already do with both Windows and Linux file systems.

However, the Mac is closer to the file systems used on Ubuntu by default,
so, I'm hoping that you, nospam, Alan Brown, or some other Apple Genius
will be able to show the rest of us *how* you accomplish the same task.

Here's the problem set we've solved on all other platforms already.
All you Apple geniuses have to do is show us the solution on the Mac.

Problem set:
a. Connect *any* iOS or Android device by USB
b. And that alone "mounts" the entire visible file system read/write
c. Simply slide any number of huge files from any one device to the other

Note: Even though there are 3 devices involved in the basic test, the files
easily move to four different file systems.

To be fair, I'm well aware that you Apple Apologists only *play* that you
can transfer files to all other devices in the real world, so asking you to
back up your claims may be a bit too muich of me to ask of you.

But if I remain resolute in assumign you're an actual adult, "joe", then
it's fair to ask of you how you would accomplish the a,b,c task above on
the Mac.

--
HINT: You don't have a clue - all you _can_ do, is play childish games.

Lewis

Sep 14, 2018, 9:53:43 PM9/14/18
In message <pnh1kv$tug$1...@gioia.aioe.org> joe <no...@domain.invalid> wrote:
> On 9/14/2018 11:34 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:
>> On 14 Sep 2018 14:58:48 GMT, Arlen Holder wrote:
>>

>> This cross platform file transfer method is the *best* I can think of,
>> since it has zero restrictions, it works on everything, and, it requires no
>> software other than what comes with a typical system.

> Really? How many typical systems come with the ability to dual boot
> Ubuntu out of the box?

> Don't you have to install Ubuntu to make this work? That looks like a
> 1500 MB download. How much disk space does that require to install?

You probably have to make some changes to the BIOS as well. Intel
hardware has gotten *very* Linux-hostile.

> I would suspect for most Windows users just installing iTunes would be
> much easier.

And better, of course. But trolls gotta troll.

--
You could save people. You could get there in the nick of time. And
something could snap its fingers and say, no , it has to be that way.

Arlen Holder

Sep 15, 2018, 7:31:01 AM9/15/18
On 15 Sep 2018 01:53:43 GMT, Lewis wrote:

> And better, of course. But trolls gotta troll.

*You call facts a troll, Lewis, because you don't like facts being facts.*

Fact is, iOS is brain dead when connected via USB to native Windows.
In addition, iOS is almost brain dead when connected via FTP.

FTP on iOS is nothing like FTP on all other platforms, for example.
That's a fact.

As always, iOS is the problem when building a cross-platform solution.
That's because Apple clearly states the real world is "not supported".

Fact is, none of you Apple Apologists know a single thing about networking.
If you did, you'd define a *better* solution than I did.

Hence, none of you have a better answer than mine to this question:
Q: What free software do you propose we install (particularly on iOS) that
will result in *better* (faster, easier, more powerful, etc.) read/write
file-transfer to/from native Windows to/from any iOS/Android device, than
the USB-to-Windows-via-Linux method I outlined in the original post.

*I would _love_ if someone smarter than I, can answer _that_ question!!!*

Chris

Sep 17, 2018, 9:31:16 AM9/17/18
Let me get this right. You're advocating installing and using Linux in
order to copy files from Windows to iOS. Really? Man you must *really* hate
iTunes or you're a masochist.

Arlen Holder

Sep 17, 2018, 4:55:24 PM9/17/18
On 17 Sep 2018 13:31:15 GMT, Chris wrote:

> Let me get this right. You're advocating installing and using Linux in
> order to copy files from Windows to iOS. Really? Man you must *really* hate
> iTunes or you're a masochist.

The problems with the iTunes abomination are well known, so I don't need to
rehash it here. Suffice to say iTunes and bloatware are canonical synonyms
around the world, not to mention the huge restrictive model of iTunes which
has a nasty habit of wiping out your entire collection of songs on an iPod
without any current warning.

NOTE: The Apple Apologists will scream that you're supposed to take extra
special super duper extremely cautious care in multiple settings when
managing libraries since the iTunes abomination will *happily* destroy your
entire library without any current warning if you're not extremely cautious
otherwise.

HINT: Not everyone wants to keep their entire library on a single desktop.

nospam

Sep 17, 2018, 5:13:59 PM9/17/18
In article <pnp4br$93s$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen Holder
<arlen...@nospam.net> wrote:

> > Let me get this right. You're advocating installing and using Linux in
> > order to copy files from Windows to iOS. Really? Man you must *really* hate
> > iTunes or you're a masochist.
>
> The problems with the iTunes abomination are well known, so I don't need to
> rehash it here. Suffice to say iTunes and bloatware are canonical synonyms
> around the world, not to mention the huge restrictive model of iTunes which
> has a nasty habit of wiping out your entire collection of songs on an iPod
> without any current warning.
>
> NOTE: The Apple Apologists will scream that you're supposed to take extra
> special super duper extremely cautious care in multiple settings when
> managing libraries since the iTunes abomination will *happily* destroy your
> entire library without any current warning if you're not extremely cautious
> otherwise.

nonsense. nothing is deleted without direct user action *and*
confirmation:

one example of many:
<http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/How-to-fix-Ap
ple-Music-DRM-in-iTunes-Mac-screenshot-003.png>

> HINT: Not everyone wants to keep their entire library on a single desktop.

nonsense.

content can be *anywhere* the user wants, local, on a server or in the
cloud, and itunes keeps track of all of it automatically.

tl;dr you haven't a fucking clue.

Arlen Holder

Sep 19, 2018, 12:29:38 AM9/19/18
On 17 Sep 2018 14:13:58 GMT, nospam wrote:

> you haven't a fucking clue.

Here are some screenshots proving this method does what almost everyone
fails to comprehend, which is it WRITES to the iOS filesystem in any
directory in the visible area possible.

If you don't know the trick to doing that, then you're just bullshitting us
that you think this solution is "obvious".

Unfortunately, I kind of gave up on editing the dozens of screenshots
because Windows just won't load them in the order I click them which makes
editing a large number of files in series a bitch.
Why does a digital photo editor on Windows order a numbered series of
incoming files capriciously?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.photo.digital/jlNvYuH8bmQ>

Here is an edited session of just the Android to iOS copy, where everyone
who 'says" it's obvious, is bullshitting us, because it's not obvious the
trick to write to any desired directory in the iOS visible file system.

Plug in any number of iOS & Android devices to your desktop:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9261136speedt001.jpg>

On Windows I created 400 copies of a test file using Irfanview:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6748333speedt002.jpg>

Each of the 400 files was 4,188KB (1.7GB in toto):
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3783685speedt003.jpg>

The Android and iOS file systems easily mount on the desktop:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6176902speedt004.jpg>

The trick that nobody knows is how to WRITE to the iOS filesystem!
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7155870speedt005.jpg>

Once you know the trick, you just create any folder where you want:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2335527speedt006.jpg>

In this case, I created a folder in the normally read-only DCIM folder:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8602708speedt007.jpg>

In one fell swoop, I used the desktop to copy files from Android to iOS:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9242923speedt008.jpg>

I could just as well have copied the other way around:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2204403speedt009.jpg>

Or, from either Android and iOS to or from the Windows filesystem:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3283618speedt010.jpg>

That's the sheer beauty and elegance of this brilliant solution:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6181611speedt011.jpg>

Moving the 400 files from Android to iOS took 3 minutes 5 seconds:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7049277speedt012.jpg>

If I did the math right, moving the files using Ubuntu 18.04 from the
Android 7 LG Stylo 3 Plus to the iOS 11.2.6 2017 iPad 9.7-inch went at the
rate of about 9.4 megabits per second or about a half gigabyte per minute.

I don't know what's "possible" but that's what I got.

Note that I could just as well have moved the files from one area of iOS to
another, or from any area of Android or Windows or Linux to another, as I
can manage the entire visible file system on all four devices
simultaneously without ANY software on any of the operating systems other
than what comes with the operating system.

Anyone who says this brilliant system is "obvious" is a liar, IMHO, since I
haven't mentioned the step that allows full write access to iOS (and no,
it's not jailbreaking).