Transferring Photos from iPhone to Windows 10 laptop and "Device is unreachable"

sms

Oct 18, 2020, 3:14:46 AM10/18/20
My wife's iPhone has a load of photos and videos on it, >2GB worth. She
wanted to transfer the photos to her Windows laptop.

I could transfer a few photos, either using iTunes of Windows file
manager, but it would disconnect after maybe 15 seconds of copying. I
could select and transfer a few photos at a time but with more than 500
photos that was not practical.

With File Manager or Windows Photos I kept getting the error "Device is
unreachable" after five or so photos had been copied. With iTunes it
just stopped transferring with no error message. I tried a couple of
different cables and tired all the suggestions for this issue I could
find (modifying settings on the iPhone).

I downloaded the trial version of "Copytrans Photos" and that worked
fine, and the photos transferred but the trial is limited to 50 files.

Before shelling out $20 for the full copy of Copytrans Photos I plugged
the iPhone into a dual-boot Windows/Linux laptop running Ubuntu Linux
16.04 and all the photos transferred just fine using whatever built-in
file manager is in Linux. Then I booted Windows and moved the photos
onto a portable hard drive (could have used a USB stick too) to transfer
back to my wife's PC (the exFAT external hard drive would not mount on
Linux, though I fixed that now).

So what would I have to do to transfer photos from the iPhone directly
to a Windows 10 machine without having to use Copytrans and without this
whole Linux rigamarole? I thought that there might have been some cable
issue or some Windows issue, but since Copytrans worked fine under
Windows it doesn't appear to be a hardware problem.

Arlen Holder

Oct 18, 2020, 3:47:24 AM10/18/20
On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 00:14:41 -0700, sms wrote:

> My wife's iPhone has a load of photos and videos on it, >2GB worth. She
> wanted to transfer the photos to her Windows laptop.

I transfer photos all the time, from my iPad, to my dual boot desktop.

> I could transfer a few photos, either using iTunes of Windows file
> manager, but it would disconnect after maybe 15 seconds of copying. I
> could select and transfer a few photos at a time but with more than 500
> photos that was not practical.

Clearly that's not normal - but what is the problem?
o I don't know.

The main suggestion I have is make sure you don't _close_ the window that
has the iPad file system (usually just DCIM if it's Windows) open in the
Windows file explorer.

I've noticed, it seems, but I haven't tested why or whether it's always the
case, that if I close the iPad in the Windows file system, that it
sometimes drops the connection. Why? I don't know why. I think it may even
happen with Android since I use the same method to transfer Android, but
I'd have to test it.

> With File Manager or Windows Photos I kept getting the error "Device is
> unreachable" after five or so photos had been copied. With iTunes it
> just stopped transferring with no error message. I tried a couple of
> different cables and tired all the suggestions for this issue I could
> find (modifying settings on the iPhone).

My suggestion you're not gonna like, which is what I do:
1. Make sure the iTunes abomination is completely wiped off the PC
2. Just use the native Windows file manager to copy the DCIM folder

You may need to download the manufacturers driver for the phone though.
o Apple USB devices Drivers Download
<https://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/apple/usb>

> I downloaded the trial version of "Copytrans Photos" and that worked
> fine, and the photos transferred but the trial is limited to 50 files.

If you have to pay just to transfer photos, that would be really sad.

I would just update the driver first (see links above), where I've seen
vast differences between drivers on Android where there are the
manufacturer's driver and there are Windows installed drivers, and they're
not necessarily the same driver.

Note you can get an idea of what your driver situation is with Dumo
freeware, which you can find more about in this recent thread:
o Tutorial: How to update a driver that Windows just doesn't want to update
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/a23fY9CM6rY>

> Before shelling out $20 for the full copy of Copytrans Photos I plugged
> the iPhone into a dual-boot Windows/Linux laptop running Ubuntu Linux
> 16.04 and all the photos transferred just fine using whatever built-in
> file manager is in Linux. Then I booted Windows and moved the photos
> onto a portable hard drive (could have used a USB stick too) to transfer
> back to my wife's PC (the exFAT external hard drive would not mount on
> Linux, though I fixed that now).

Linux "just works", and, you'll have noticed you see much more of the
native file system on the iOS device with Linux than with Windows.
o An elegant solution to managing digital files on ANY iOS, Android,
Windows, or Linux device SIMULTANEOUSLY over USB using
zero additional software (other than the native OS)
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/H6T7KqzR_ww>

Long ago I wrote a tutorial for how to WRITE to the iOS read-only file
system using Linux for example (yes, I said write), which is here:
o Simultaneously slide Windows Linux iOS Android files back and forth
over USB at 7GB per minute speeds using 100% native devices
(no proprietary software needed)
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/K0NZ0nb1pWw>

> So what would I have to do to transfer photos from the iPhone directly
> to a Windows 10 machine without having to use Copytrans and without this
> whole Linux rigamarole? I thought that there might have been some cable
> issue or some Windows issue, but since Copytrans worked fine under
> Windows it doesn't appear to be a hardware problem.

Step 1: *Delete iTunes*
o Is there any functionality the iTunes abomination does, for a dual-boot
Win/Ubuntu PC that can't be done, better, WITHOUT iTunes?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/F-gWC05h1xQ>

Step 2: *Update the driver*
o How to Update iPhone Driver on Windows PC
<https://osxdaily.com/2020/05/28/how-update-iphone-driver-windows-pc/>
--
Apple software on Windows is _designed_ to limit what you can do.

Lewis

Oct 18, 2020, 11:23:30 AM10/18/20
In message <rmgq14$180$1...@dont-email.me> sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
> My wife's iPhone has a load of photos and videos on it, >2GB worth. She
> wanted to transfer the photos to her Windows laptop.

> I could transfer a few photos, either using iTunes of Windows file
> manager, but it would disconnect after maybe 15 seconds of copying. I
> could select and transfer a few photos at a time but with more than 500
> photos that was not practical.

This is usually caused by a bad cable or a flaky port on the computer; in
very rare cases it might be fluff/lint/kruft in the port of the iPhone.

Try a different cable on a different port and check the inside of the
port on the phone. You can you a wooden toothpick or a plastic dental
pick tool to scrape around, gently, in the open port to get anything
out.

> I downloaded the trial version of "Copytrans Photos" and that worked
> fine, and the photos transferred but the trial is limited to 50 files.

Hmm. In that case I don't know. Are the 50 photos it transferred really
transferred and there at full resolution?

> Before shelling out $20 for the full copy of Copytrans Photos I plugged
> the iPhone into a dual-boot Windows/Linux laptop running Ubuntu Linux
> 16.04 and all the photos transferred just fine using whatever built-in
> file manager is in Linux. Then I booted Windows and moved the photos
> onto a portable hard drive (could have used a USB stick too) to transfer
> back to my wife's PC (the exFAT external hard drive would not mount on
> Linux, though I fixed that now).

Ah, so the culprit is windows or the port on that Windows machine?

> So what would I have to do to transfer photos from the iPhone directly
> to a Windows 10 machine without having to use Copytrans and without this
> whole Linux rigamarole? I thought that there might have been some cable
> issue or some Windows issue, but since Copytrans worked fine under
> Windows it doesn't appear to be a hardware problem.

It sort of does appear to be a hardware problem. Different machine, no
problem, depending on what the demo software actually did (demos often
only transfer thumbnails).

I avoid Windows 10 as much as possible, so I can't be much help on that.
I would still try a different port and cable (Yes, sometimes a cable
works fine on port A but not fine on port B, so it's worth changing
both).

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"Wuhh... I think so, Brain! But let's use safflower oil this time!

Michael Logies

Oct 18, 2020, 2:46:01 PM10/18/20
On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 07:47:23 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder
<arlen_...@newmachines.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 00:14:41 -0700, sms wrote:
>
>> My wife's iPhone has a load of photos and videos on it, >2GB worth. She
>> wanted to transfer the photos to her Windows laptop.

Use the Google Foto App on the iphone to transfer all pictures to the
Google cloud, from there to the PC. If you choose "high quality",
number of pictures and videos is unlimited and free. If "original
quality", 15 GB is a limit. Then you would have to transfer in
portions. I recommend "high quality".

Regards

M.

knuttle

Oct 18, 2020, 4:01:53 PM10/18/20
On 10/18/2020 3:47 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> My wife's iPhone has a load of photos and videos on it, >2GB worth. She
> wanted to transfer the photos to her Windows laptop.
It is my understanding that if you enable Bluetooth on both the laptop
and the iPhone you can transfer your photos.

You would first have to connect the devices by Bluetooth. This is a one
time setup. then select the photos to transfer and click send.

I do it all of the time with my phone.

Beats sending it all over the universe just to move it a couple of feet
from your phone to your computer.

nospam

Oct 18, 2020, 4:11:51 PM10/18/20
In article <rmi6vf$1tp$1...@dont-email.me>, knuttle
<keith_...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> > My wife's iPhone has a load of photos and videos on it, >2GB worth. She
> > wanted to transfer the photos to her Windows laptop.
> It is my understanding that if you enable Bluetooth on both the laptop
> and the iPhone you can transfer your photos.

your understanding is wrong. there is no need to enable bluetooth to
transfer photos.

wifi or usb is the best way to transfer photos. bluetooth is far too
slow, although it is sometimes used for configuring point to point
wifi.

> You would first have to connect the devices by Bluetooth. This is a one
> time setup. then select the photos to transfer and click send.
>
> I do it all of the time with my phone.

try using wifi. it will be a lot faster.

> Beats sending it all over the universe just to move it a couple of feet
> from your phone to your computer.

even that would be significantly faster than bluetooth.

faster still when it happens in the background, just after taking the
photo, so when you get home, the photos are *already* on your computer.

MajorLanGod

Oct 18, 2020, 4:44:58 PM10/18/20
Michael Logies <log...@t-online.de> wrote in
I just connect my Samsung J3 Orbit to my PC with a USB cable. The phone
shows in as a device when I open a window on the PC. I double click on
the phone icon to open it, then traverse to whatever directory the things
are that I want to transfer.

I have never tried this on an iPhone, but it is such basic functionality
that I can't believe Apple hasn't implemented it.

badgolferman

Oct 18, 2020, 4:55:19 PM10/18/20
How do you connect the iPhone to the Windows computer by WiFi?

nospam

Oct 18, 2020, 5:06:41 PM10/18/20
In article <rmia3j$1cfh$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, badgolferman
the phone will normally be on your home (or work) wifi network already,
so there's nothing to do.

another option is set up an adhoc network on one device and have the
other one join that.

badgolferman

Oct 18, 2020, 5:09:00 PM10/18/20
I’m having trouble understanding how to create the handshaking between the
devices. Is iTunes required or is there a more direct option available? How
do you set up an ad his connection? This would be very useful.

Savageduck

Oct 18, 2020, 5:29:14 PM10/18/20
On Oct 18, 2020 at 2:08:57 PM PDT, "badgolferman"
For me the *PhotoTransfer app* has always been a reliable tool for this type
of WiFi image file transfer between a variety of OS and device types. This has
always worked well for me when I was not able to use AirDrop.

<http://phototransferapp.com>

--
Regards,
Savageduck

nospam

Oct 18, 2020, 5:38:53 PM10/18/20
In article <rmiat9$1n8q$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, badgolferman
<REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> How do you connect the iPhone to the Windows computer by WiFi?
> >
> > the phone will normally be on your home (or work) wifi network already,
> > so there's nothing to do.
> >
> > another option is set up an adhoc network on one device and have the
> > other one join that.
> >

> I雋 having trouble understanding how to create the handshaking between the
> devices. Is iTunes required or is there a more direct option available?

the easiest way is via usb, where the iphone will show up as a normal
ordinary digital camera, then use windows explorer or a dedicated photo
app, such as lightroom to copy them.

for wifi, with both devices on the same lan, any of a variety of apps
can move photos between them.

you'll then need to use an app on the phone to act as a server and a
corresponding client app on the pc, which could be a browser if the app
serves http(s). there is/was a couple of apps that serve smb, so you
could mount the phone as a network share and use explorer. i don't know
if the apps are still available (they probably are but i haven't
checked). there are also dedicated mac/windows apps that can copy
photos and other stuff (music, videos, messages, etc.)

itunes can back up the contents of the phone, including photos, but
that's into a somewhat opaque backup and not suitable for simply
copying them to view or share.

> How
> do you set up an ad his connection? This would be very useful.

set up a personal hotspot, which will also be linked to the cell
network for internet.

Arlen Holder

Oct 18, 2020, 5:53:43 PM10/18/20
On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 20:45:00 +0200, Michael Logies wrote:

>>> My wife's iPhone has a load of photos and videos on it, >2GB worth. She
>>> wanted to transfer the photos to her Windows laptop.
>
> Use the Google Foto App on the iphone to transfer all pictures to the
> Google cloud, from there to the PC. If you choose "high quality",
> number of pictures and videos is unlimited and free. If "original
> quality", 15 GB is a limit. Then you would have to transfer in
> portions. I recommend "high quality".

This is a good point that Google has opened up to photo backup
o ... which I reported when the news broke for iOS & Android

First this time...
o Google adds the ability to automatically store & manage device backups through Google One (via subscription)
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/v6S1AFFLr0c>

And then, further, this time...
o Google One free phone backup tool adds both Android & iOS capabilities announced today by Google
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/aP-SHtStwO4>

Arlen Holder

Oct 18, 2020, 6:07:09 PM10/18/20
On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 16:11:49 -0400, nospam wrote:

>> Beats sending it all over the universe just to move it a couple of feet
>> from your phone to your computer.
>
> even that would be significantly faster than bluetooth.
>
> faster still when it happens in the background, just after taking the
> photo, so when you get home, the photos are *already* on your computer.

The facts prove readily that the iCloud is a piece of shit in terms of security
o Hacker team led by 20-year-old finds 55 Apple vulnerabilities, 11 of them critical (e.g., iCloud & mac.com accounts)
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/tyDx2XRVllM>

While nospam claims it is "faster still", what nospam doesn't say is
that apologists are completely bamboozled by Apple MARKETING bullshit.

Specifically, it's well known the iCloud is utterly horrid on security
o iCloud backups are NOT encrypted, by JF Mezei
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/-EA9TYUeVhk>

As always with nospam, apologists only think as Apple MARKETING fed them
o Apologists like nospam have no capacity for independent thought processes.

<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/sgSv_BRzO0A>

o New vulnerabilities (described as numerous) have been detected in Apple┬ Image I/O
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/RrXonVt7_y0>

Those are facts which nospams is utterly immune to:
o Do people of reasonable technical ability store their private data on the Internet (if so, for what gain?)
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/mBIZ-8jGdmk>
--
Apologists like nospam have only a cursory understanding of the problem set, which is _always_ only what Apple MARKETING has fed them to believe.

Arlen Holder

Oct 18, 2020, 6:31:00 PM10/18/20
On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 20:44:56 GMT, MajorLanGod wrote:

> I just connect my Samsung J3 Orbit to my PC with a USB cable. The phone
> shows in as a device when I open a window on the PC. I double click on
> the phone icon to open it, then traverse to whatever directory the things
> are that I want to transfer.
>
> I have never tried this on an iPhone, but it is such basic functionality
> that I can't believe Apple hasn't implemented it.

You are completely correct in your assumption that copy should be trivial.

I have both iOS and Android devices where I copy photos all the time
o Most iOS users are completely clueless what 'can' easily be done

*Because they are _restricted_ by Apple with the iTunes abomination.*

The problem with iPhone users is you have more functionality WITHOUT the
iTunes abomination, than you do with it, which they're not aware of.
o <https://i.postimg.cc/DZB9YDcR/copyfiles01.jpg>

If you don't have the iTunes abomination installed, yes, you get to slide
files over from the Apple iOS DCIM directory over to the Windows PC.

Android, as always, has far more functionality in that this operation is
both read and write, and, far better, it includes far more than just DCIM.

Even better, Linux allows read/rite to/from iOS...
o And linux allows far more than just access to the iOS DCIM.
--
In short, if the OP is using iTunes, that is perhaps the reason for the
problem since you have less functionality with iTunes than without it.

Arlen Holder

Oct 18, 2020, 7:02:06 PM10/18/20
On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 16:11:49 -0400, nospam wrote:

> wifi or usb is the best way to transfer photos.

Regarding
o Transferring Photos from iPhone to Windows 10 laptop and "Device is unreachable"
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/8TQk81xCjVw>

... There's a great app called "KDE Connect" which transfers
almost anything you like between the device and the computer
via your WiFi connection (and does a whole lot more than that).
o KDE Connect is a keeper for sending & receiving files over your Wi-Fi LAN to/from any desktop to/from any Android phone!
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/VJuH89KYxgA>

You just need to know where to get the right software:
o Quick tutorial for installing KDEConnect freeware on Windows & Android for seamless WiFi LAN bidirectional file encrypted copy
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/9S3j2XN1zDg>

I don't think that KDE Connect app is available on iOS though...
o Does iOS have a cross-platform KDEConnect compatible client IPA yet?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/IV9V9YFoqbs>

But something similar, you'd think, "should" exist on iOS, shouldn't it?
--
(Note: Apologists always claim wholly imaginary funcdtionality for iOS.)

Arlen Holder

Oct 18, 2020, 7:17:36 PM10/18/20
On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 21:08:57 +0000 (UTC), badgolferman wrote:

> I having trouble understanding how to create the handshaking between the
> devices. Is iTunes required or is there a more direct option available? How
> do you set up an ad his connection? This would be very useful.

Hi badgolferman,

Keep asking nospam to provide the free solution nospam _claims_ exists!

You're not an apologist, but nospam is a known bullshitter, par excellence...
o Apologists _often_ send poor unsuspecting users on wild-goose chases

o *Why do the Apple Apologists constantly send poor unsuspecting iOS users on wild goose chases?*
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/ynh0PE9lK_I>

It will be interesting to see if you can pin nospam down to a real solution.
o Normally, all apologists do is claim wholly imaginary functionality.

o *Why do Apple Apologists constantly brazenly fabricate what turns out to be wholly imaginary Apple functionality?*
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/SZfblCIRc9s>

Let's see if you can actually pin him down to a working freeware solution!
--
Apologists _hate_ that iOS lacks basic functionalty; so they make it up!

Arlen Holder

Oct 18, 2020, 7:35:44 PM10/18/20
On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 16:29:09 -0500, Savageduck wrote:

> For me the *PhotoTransfer app* has always been a reliable tool for this type
> of WiFi image file transfer between a variety of OS and device types. This has
> always worked well for me when I was not able to use AirDrop.
>
> <http://phototransferapp.com>

*Only a true Apple apologist would _pay_ just to be able to copy photos!*

Apologists, like Savageduck, never cease to amaze me on their ignorance
o Shockingly, Savageduck, a known Type II apologist, _pays_ for basic copying.

o <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phototransfer>
"IMPORTANT: Free version allows you to transfer up to 5 photos in
medium resolution. Upgrade to PRO version and transfer many photos
at one time in full resolution!
Price of PRO upgrade: $4.99 USD or equivalent"

o <https://apps.apple.com/us/app/photo-transfer-app/id365152940>
"Free version of Photo Transfer App is limited to transferring
up to 5 files at a time in medium resolution."
--
Only a true Apple apologist would _pay_ just to be able to copy photos!

badgolferman

Oct 18, 2020, 8:12:58 PM10/18/20
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> the phone will normally be on your home (or work) wifi network already,
>>> so there's nothing to do.
>>>
>>> another option is set up an adhoc network on one device and have the
>>> other one join that.
>>>

>> I¹m having trouble understanding how to create the handshaking between the
>> devices. Is iTunes required or is there a more direct option available?
>
> the easiest way is via usb, where the iphone will show up as a normal
> ordinary digital camera, then use windows explorer or a dedicated photo
> app, such as lightroom to copy them.
>
> for wifi, with both devices on the same lan, any of a variety of apps
> can move photos between them.
>
> you'll then need to use an app on the phone to act as a server and a
> corresponding client app on the pc, which could be a browser if the app
> serves http(s). there is/was a couple of apps that serve smb, so you
> could mount the phone as a network share and use explorer. i don't know
> if the apps are still available (they probably are but i haven't
> checked). there are also dedicated mac/windows apps that can copy
> photos and other stuff (music, videos, messages, etc.)
>
> itunes can back up the contents of the phone, including photos, but
> that's into a somewhat opaque backup and not suitable for simply
> copying them to view or share.
>
>> How
>> do you set up an ad his connection? This would be very useful.
>
> set up a personal hotspot, which will also be linked to the cell
> network for internet.

So now you are saying I need other software to connect by WiFi. I really
thought you were going to tell me there is a way to directly connect the PC
to the iPhone by WiFi. I was wrong.

Looks like Google Photos is still the best free way to back up the photos
over WiFi.

sms

Oct 18, 2020, 8:21:44 PM10/18/20
On 10/18/2020 5:12 PM, badgolferman wrote:

<snip>

> Looks like Google Photos is still the best free way to back up the photos
> over WiFi.

I'll try that next time. Microsoft Photos did not work.

Ironically, today she wanted me to upload the photos from her Samsung
personal phone (the iPhone is her corporate phone). With the Android
phone it was very easy. Just plug into a USB port and it shows up as
device and copied and pasted the photos.

nospam

Oct 18, 2020, 8:26:10 PM10/18/20
In article <rmilm6$1jgb$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, badgolferman
<REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I1m having trouble understanding how to create the handshaking between the
> >> devices. Is iTunes required or is there a more direct option available?
> >
> > the easiest way is via usb, where the iphone will show up as a normal
> > ordinary digital camera, then use windows explorer or a dedicated photo
> > app, such as lightroom to copy them.
> >
> > for wifi, with both devices on the same lan, any of a variety of apps
> > can move photos between them.
> >
> > you'll then need to use an app on the phone to act as a server and a
> > corresponding client app on the pc, which could be a browser if the app
> > serves http(s). there is/was a couple of apps that serve smb, so you
> > could mount the phone as a network share and use explorer. i don't know
> > if the apps are still available (they probably are but i haven't
> > checked). there are also dedicated mac/windows apps that can copy
> > photos and other stuff (music, videos, messages, etc.)
> >
> > itunes can back up the contents of the phone, including photos, but
> > that's into a somewhat opaque backup and not suitable for simply
> > copying them to view or share.
> >
> >> How
> >> do you set up an ad his connection? This would be very useful.
> >
> > set up a personal hotspot, which will also be linked to the cell
> > network for internet.
> >

> So now you are saying I need other software to connect by WiFi.

read it again.

> I really
> thought you were going to tell me there is a way to directly connect the PC
> to the iPhone by WiFi.

there is, as explained above.

> I was wrong.

you are now.

> Looks like Google Photos is still the best free way to back up the photos
> over WiFi.

that's one of many methods.

keep in mind that the various methods are essentially the same for both
android devices and ios devices.

nospam

Oct 18, 2020, 8:26:10 PM10/18/20
In article <rmim6n$stq$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> Ironically, today she wanted me to upload the photos from her Samsung
> personal phone (the iPhone is her corporate phone). With the Android
> phone it was very easy. Just plug into a USB port and it shows up as
> device and copied and pasted the photos.

exactly the same for iphones.

Arlen Holder

Oct 18, 2020, 8:46:36 PM10/18/20
On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 20:26:09 -0400, nospam wrote:

> keep in mind that the various methods are essentially the same for both
> android devices and ios devices.

Apologists like nospam are born bullshitters par exellence.
o They thrive on Apple newsgroups becuase the bar is set low on facts.

Notice nospam always makes wild-assed claims but never backs them up.
o He constantly sends poor unsuspecting users on wild-goose chases.

Name just one freeware app badgolferman can use that does what you claim.
o Name just one.
--
Apologists always claim imaginary iOS functionality because they _hate_
that iOS devices have far less free functionality than does Android.

Arlen Holder

Oct 18, 2020, 8:49:43 PM10/18/20
On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 20:26:08 -0400, nospam wrote:

>> Ironically, today she wanted me to upload the photos from her Samsung
>> personal phone (the iPhone is her corporate phone). With the Android
>> phone it was very easy. Just plug into a USB port and it shows up as
>> device and copied and pasted the photos.
>
> exactly the same for iphones.

Like Savageduck & Alan Browne, Steve (sms) is a Type II apologist
o They're not malicious, per se... but they never doublecheck facts

This is a fact Steve is apparently immune to because he doesn't check facts
o <https://i.postimg.cc/DZB9YDcR/copyfiles01.jpg

The difference is that Type I apologists, like nospam, simply bullshit
o And Type III apologists, like Lewis, actually _believe_ what they write.
--
What's sad is how all three types of apologists are immune to actual facts.

badgolferman

Oct 18, 2020, 9:05:50 PM10/18/20
Yes, you can do this for iPhones too, but the conversation was all about
using something other than a cable to back up your photos.

badgolferman

Oct 18, 2020, 9:05:51 PM10/18/20
You speak in circles so I cannot follow it.

How do you back up your photos without a cable? Is it possible to do it by
WiFi without iTunes or a third party program? What are the steps involved
in connecting an iPhone by WiFi to a PC in order to back up photos?

nospam

Oct 18, 2020, 9:58:46 PM10/18/20
In article <rmiop8$hkr$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, badgolferman
<REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Ironically, today she wanted me to upload the photos from her Samsung
> >> personal phone (the iPhone is her corporate phone). With the Android
> >> phone it was very easy. Just plug into a USB port and it shows up as
> >> device and copied and pasted the photos.
> >
> > exactly the same for iphones.
> >

> Yes, you can do this for iPhones too, but the conversation was all about
> using something other than a cable to back up your photos.

which is very easy to do.

nospam

Oct 18, 2020, 9:58:48 PM10/18/20
In article <rmiopb$hkr$2...@gioia.aioe.org>, badgolferman
what part are you not following?

> How do you back up your photos without a cable?

it appears you are confusing backups with copying photos from the
phone. they are two different things for two different purposes.

backing up can be done either via wifi or cellular. some people do both
for redundancy. they each have advantages and disadvantages.

backing up via a cable is also an option and normally faster than via
wifi or cellular, but much less convenient, which means it's a lot less
likely to happen.

backups include everything, to be restored to a new phone, or a
replacement for one that's lost or stolen.

copying photos can be done via cellular (using the cloud), wifi (cloud
or locally) or a usb cable (only locally). any or all of the photos can
be copied.

> Is it possible to do it by
> WiFi without iTunes or a third party program?

no. you will need itunes or a third party app, the latter of which
won't be a full backup.

> What are the steps involved
> in connecting an iPhone by WiFi to a PC in order to back up photos?

itunes will automatically back up the phone via wifi any time the phone
is connected to a charger anywhere in the house without the user
needing to do anything (other than connect it to a charger), which
means nightly backups at a minimum.

however, as i said, itunes is designed for backup/restore, not to copy
individual photos for later viewing, so the backup archive is optimized
for that purpose.

photos can be extracted from the backup, but it's not worth the trouble
since there are much easier methods if the goal is to simply copy
photos from the phone to the computer, methods which are basically the
same for android.

tl;dr you're making it far more complicated than it needs to be.

sms

Oct 18, 2020, 10:14:05 PM10/18/20
I could not get it to work over USB with the iPhone. The transfer would
start but after 10-15 seconds it would display an error message. At
first I thought that it was some hardware issues with USB, until I
downloaded "Copytrans Photos" and that worked fine with the iPhone and
USB but the free version is limited to 50 photos. iTunes and Microsoft
Photos both would not complete the transfer of over 1000 photos.

As is often the case, Linux saved the day, and at no cost.

badgolferman

Oct 18, 2020, 10:26:42 PM10/18/20
No, I am not. I am clearly following up on the original poster asking how
can the photos be extracted from his phone when the hardware port is broken
or the cable is bad.

> backing up can be done either via wifi or cellular. some people do both
> for redundancy. they each have advantages and disadvantages.
>
> backing up via a cable is also an option and normally faster than via
> wifi or cellular, but much less convenient, which means it's a lot less
> likely to happen.
>
> backups include everything, to be restored to a new phone, or a
> replacement for one that's lost or stolen.
>
> copying photos can be done via cellular (using the cloud), wifi (cloud
> or locally) or a usb cable (only locally). any or all of the photos can
> be copied.

Right there you say copying photos by WiFi locally. That is what I want to
know. How do you do that with iTunes or a third party program?

>> Is it possible to do it by
>> WiFi without iTunes or a third party program?
>
> no. you will need itunes or a third party app, the latter of which
> won't be a full backup.
>
>> What are the steps involved
>> in connecting an iPhone by WiFi to a PC in order to back up photos?
>
> itunes will automatically back up the phone via wifi any time the phone
> is connected to a charger anywhere in the house without the user
> needing to do anything (other than connect it to a charger), which
> means nightly backups at a minimum.
>
> however, as i said, itunes is designed for backup/restore, not to copy
> individual photos for later viewing, so the backup archive is optimized
> for that purpose.
>
> photos can be extracted from the backup, but it's not worth the trouble
> since there are much easier methods if the goal is to simply copy
> photos from the phone to the computer, methods which are basically the
> same for android.
>
> tl;dr you're making it far more complicated than it needs to be.

You keep saying you can use WiFi to copy photos. All I am asking is if
there is a way to make the phone appear as a drive so a file manager can be
used to copy photos. By WiFi, just as you would with a cable.

badgolferman

Oct 18, 2020, 10:28:06 PM10/18/20
*without* iTunes or third party program

badgolferman

Oct 18, 2020, 10:29:29 PM10/18/20
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> set up a personal hotspot, which will also be linked to the cell
>>> network for internet.
>>
>> So now you are saying I need other software
>
> HAHAHAHA... "OMG WAHHHH I have to install software?!!! ApPlE sUx
> Y'aLl!!!!"
>
> Jesus fucking christ. Get the fuck over your dumb ass self. How fucking
> incompetent are you, anyway? You can't even click a couple buttons to
> install something now? While you've been fucking around here complaining
> about trivial shit, I've transferred several videos from my iPhone to my
> Mac. You're a fucking waste of bandwidth as far as the rest of society
> cares. What a joke.
>
>> Looks like Google Photos is still the best free way to back up the photos
>> over WiFi.
>
> "DURRRHURRR... I would rather give Google full access to my intimate
> photos so they can use them against me to build a profile that they turn
> around and sell to the lowest bidders on advertising networks to flood
> me with ads than install one single piece of software! See, mom? I'm
> #WINNING!!!"
> ~ every idiot clown on planet Earth
>
> Kill yourself. Please, for the rest of humanity. You pathetic piece of
> shit.

And you can fuck yourself too.

nospam

Oct 18, 2020, 11:05:28 PM10/18/20
In article <rmispb$tea$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> >> exactly the same for iphones.
> >>

> > Yes, you can do this for iPhones too, but the conversation was all about
> > using something other than a cable to back up your photos.
>
> I could not get it to work over USB with the iPhone. The transfer would
> start but after 10-15 seconds it would display an error message.

what was the error and what steps did you take to resolve it?

nospam

Oct 18, 2020, 11:05:30 PM10/18/20
In article <rmitgt$1sqm$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, badgolferman

> >> How do you back up your photos without a cable?
> >
> > it appears you are confusing backups with copying photos from the
> > phone. they are two different things for two different purposes.
>
> No, I am not. I am clearly following up on the original poster asking how
> can the photos be extracted from his phone when the hardware port is broken
> or the cable is bad.

copying one or more photos is not a backup.

a backup contains everything, for when you get a new or replacement
phone and want to restore all of it to the new one.

it's also easy and cheap to replace a bad usb cable. a broken port
should be repaired, especially if the phone lacks wireless charging,
but that could be costly if it's outside of warranty. at that point, a
new phone is likely to be a better option, in which case, a full backup
would be critical.

> > backing up can be done either via wifi or cellular. some people do both
> > for redundancy. they each have advantages and disadvantages.
> >
> > backing up via a cable is also an option and normally faster than via
> > wifi or cellular, but much less convenient, which means it's a lot less
> > likely to happen.
> >
> > backups include everything, to be restored to a new phone, or a
> > replacement for one that's lost or stolen.
> >
> > copying photos can be done via cellular (using the cloud), wifi (cloud
> > or locally) or a usb cable (only locally). any or all of the photos can
> > be copied.
>
> Right there you say copying photos by WiFi locally. That is what I want to
> know. How do you do that with iTunes or a third party program?

itunes is for backups (and many other things). it's not designed for
copying individual photos (but that can be done with effort). for the
situation you describe, itunes is not a good choice.

how to do it with a third party app depends on the app. i gave some
examples already.

> > tl;dr you're making it far more complicated than it needs to be.
> >

> You keep saying you can use WiFi to copy photos. All I am asking is if
> there is a way to make the phone appear as a drive so a file manager can be
> used to copy photos. By WiFi, just as you would with a cable.

you would need an app on the phone to serve smb, which i said several
posts ago and quoted above.

Paul

Oct 19, 2020, 5:43:22 AM10/19/20
sms wrote:
> My wife's iPhone has a load of photos and videos on it, >2GB worth. She
> wanted to transfer the photos to her Windows laptop.
>
> I could transfer a few photos, either using iTunes of Windows file
> manager, but it would disconnect after maybe 15 seconds of copying. I
> could select and transfer a few photos at a time but with more than 500
> photos that was not practical.
>
> With File Manager or Windows Photos I kept getting the error "Device is
> unreachable" after five or so photos had been copied. With iTunes it
> just stopped transferring with no error message. I tried a couple of
> different cables and tired all the suggestions for this issue I could
> find (modifying settings on the iPhone).
>
> I downloaded the trial version of "Copytrans Photos" and that worked
> fine, and the photos transferred but the trial is limited to 50 files.
>
> Before shelling out $20 for the full copy of Copytrans Photos I plugged
> the iPhone into a dual-boot Windows/Linux laptop running Ubuntu Linux
> 16.04 and all the photos transferred just fine using whatever built-in
> file manager is in Linux. Then I booted Windows and moved the photos
> onto a portable hard drive (could have used a USB stick too) to transfer
> back to my wife's PC (the exFAT external hard drive would not mount on
> Linux, though I fixed that now).
>
> So what would I have to do to transfer photos from the iPhone directly
> to a Windows 10 machine without having to use Copytrans and without this
> whole Linux rigamarole? I thought that there might have been some cable
> issue or some Windows issue, but since Copytrans worked fine under
> Windows it doesn't appear to be a hardware problem.

I hadn't realized Arlen had trimmed off the context.

*******

You could use VirtualBox 6 and load Linux as a VM, then
use the passthru USB feature to connect the phone to the
Linux machine and... have at it. Easy peasy.

As for file sharing between Linux and Windows, you
may still need to add a few lines to smb.conf, for
the very best functionality. You can't scan the
network neighborhood, without some puttering. I
actually have a few distros here, where the sharing
worked out of the box. But it's not as seamless now.

Paul

sms

Oct 19, 2020, 11:18:04 AM10/19/20
On 10/18/2020 7:26 PM, badgolferman wrote:

<snip>

> No, I am not. I am clearly following up on the original poster asking how
> can the photos be extracted from his phone when the hardware port is broken
> or the cable is bad.

The hardware port was not broken and the cable was not bad. The same USB
port and cable worked just fine using Copytrans Photo, and the same USB
port worked just fine for transferring 1000+ photos and videos in from
the portable USB 3.0 hard drive, and for transferring photos from a
Samsung S10E.

The same iPhone 7 and same cable worked fine transferring photos, via
Linux, into my old Thinkpad Core i5 T530.

The problem between the iPhone and the HP AMD Ryzen 5 laptop could be
something in the way iTunes and Microsoft Photos transfer data. When I
worked for an x86 CPU company I saw USB disconnect/reconnect issues,
when doing sustained high-speed transfers, due to a CPU issue combined
with faulty Compaq USB driver software; to find that issue required
renting an expensive USB analyzer.

I will probably splurge and buy the Copytrans software for $20. It's a
much easier and intuitive way to transfer photos than iTunes or
Microsoft photos. I may also try Google Photos. Also, my wife is due for
an iPhone upgrade from work and the new iPhone may work differently with
the higher-speed transfers via USB 3.0.

sms

Oct 19, 2020, 11:25:53 AM10/19/20
On 10/18/2020 7:26 PM, badgolferman wrote:

<snip>

> Right there you say copying photos by WiFi locally. That is what I want to
> know. How do you do that with iTunes or a third party program?

I tried to find a way to do that but could not, well at least not with a
Windows machine. On a Macbook I assume you can use Airdrop between an
iPhone and a Macbook.

Next time I need to do this I will try this app:
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/wifi-photo-transfer/id380326191>, but it
is not peer to peer.

sms

Oct 19, 2020, 11:27:27 AM10/19/20
On 10/18/2020 7:29 PM, badgolferman wrote:

<snip>

LOL, since when has not knowing what's being discussed been a
prerequisite for Jolly Roger to chime in?!

John Doe

Oct 19, 2020, 11:32:46 AM10/19/20
Arlen Holder <arlen_...@newmachines.com> wrote:

> I've noticed, it seems, but I haven't tested why or whether it's always the
> case, that if I close the iPad in the Windows file system, that it
> sometimes drops the connection.

There is no "connection" to drop when using an Android device with a PC. It's
a simple USB cable. Works every time.

> Why? I don't know why. I think it may even
> happen with Android since I use the same method to transfer Android, but
> I'd have to test it.

Nope. No problem at all transferring files from a Android device to a Windows
folder. Nothing like the HELL Apple puts us through. I wouldn't even consider
buying an Apple device. The first and only Apple device was for a friend, I
ended up using it, that was a pain.

John Doe

Oct 19, 2020, 11:34:54 AM10/19/20
Paul <nos...@needed.invalid> wrote:

> You could use VirtualBox 6 and load Linux as a VM, then
> use the passthru USB feature to connect the phone to the
> Linux machine and... have at it. Easy peasy.

lol

Or use an Android phone and plug it into the USB port.

nospam

Oct 19, 2020, 11:43:41 AM10/19/20
In article <rmkbit$jvq$1...@dont-email.me>, John Doe
<alway...@message.header> wrote:

> There is no "connection" to drop when using an Android device with a PC. It's
> a simple USB cable. Works every time.

actually there is, for both android and ios.

nospam

Oct 19, 2020, 11:43:42 AM10/19/20
In article <rmkbmt$jvq$2...@dont-email.me>, John Doe
<alway...@message.header> wrote:

> > You could use VirtualBox 6 and load Linux as a VM, then
> > use the passthru USB feature to connect the phone to the
> > Linux machine and... have at it. Easy peasy.
>
> lol
>
> Or use an Android phone and plug it into the USB port.

same with an iphone. works every time without the need for a vm or
linux.

Chris

Oct 19, 2020, 11:53:53 AM10/19/20
badgolferman <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> How do you connect the iPhone to the Windows computer by WiFi?
>>
>> the phone will normally be on your home (or work) wifi network already,
>> so there's nothing to do.
>>
>> another option is set up an adhoc network on one device and have the
>> other one join that.
>>

> I’m having trouble understanding how to create the handshaking between the
> devices. Is iTunes required or is there a more direct option available?

He often talks in riddles. I think he means icloud. If not, it would
certainly helpful to know more details.

nospam

Oct 19, 2020, 12:06:41 PM10/19/20
In article <rmkcqg$vb9$1...@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> the phone will normally be on your home (or work) wifi network already,
> >> so there's nothing to do.
> >>
> >> another option is set up an adhoc network on one device and have the
> >> other one join that.
> >>

> > I雋 having trouble understanding how to create the handshaking between the
> > devices. Is iTunes required or is there a more direct option available?
>
> He often talks in riddles. I think he means icloud.

nope to both.

> If not, it would
> certainly helpful to know more details.

plenty were provided.

Arlen Holder

Oct 19, 2020, 12:13:41 PM10/19/20
On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 08:18:00 -0700, sms wrote:

> I will probably splurge and buy the Copytrans software for $20.

Regarding purchasing software to do something as simple as this...
o <https://i.postimg.cc/DZB9YDcR/copyfiles01.jpg>

It's humiliating to "just give up" to pay twenty bucks to copy a photo!
o But it's what Apple owners consistently do.

*Apple owners almost always: "_just give up_"*.

The fact Steve actually calls wasting his money "splurging", is indicative
o *Apple owners "just give up" when confronted with the slightest hurdle*

They actually feel _great_ when they spend money to solve simple problems!
o Spending money on something as simple as a "copy" is "splurging" to them

It's not humiliating, as it would be for a normally astute person.
o It's "splurging!"

I have an entire thread on this fact Apple owners "just give up".
o It's why Apple is so profitable by _restricting_ what users can do!

Apple owners use money to substitute for their brains.
o That is the key reason Apple & Apple app developers make so much money

The problem set is, as I see it, as simple as:
a. Delete the iTunes abomination

b. Install the appropriate iPhone Windows driver
<https://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/apple/usb>
c. Connect by USB & doubleclick on the iPhone icon in Windows explorer
<https://i.postimg.cc/DZB9YDcR/copyfiles01.jpg>

Slide as desired (it's only one way for Apple products though).
o To me, splurging would be finding a two-way native Windows solution
--
If you want a native two-way solution, just dual boot to Ubuntu instead.
o An elegant solution to managing digital files on ANY iOS, Android,
Windows, or Linux device SIMULTANEOUSLY over USB using
zero additional software (other than the native OS)
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/H6T7KqzR_ww>

Arlen Holder

Oct 19, 2020, 12:22:24 PM10/19/20
On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 11:43:40 -0400, nospam wrote:

>> Or use an Android phone and plug it into the USB port.
>
> same with an iphone. works every time without the need for a vm or
> linux.

Hi nospam,

What Linux gives you, which you're completely ignorant of, nospam
o Is you get native read _and_ write to the entire visible iOS file system

You get that simply by plugging the iOS device into Linux over USB
o No non-native software needs to be installed to get read _and_ write

To the _entire_ visible iOS file system, nospam.

So my question for you, nospam, is simple, assuming a native OS install:
o *How are you going to _write_ to the iOS file system on Windows over USB?*

HINT: You can't. (I wish you could. If anyone knows how, please tell us!)

REFERENCES:
o An elegant solution to managing digital files on ANY iOS, Android,
Windows, or Linux device SIMULTANEOUSLY over USB using
zero additional software (other than the native OS)
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/H6T7KqzR_ww>

o Simultaneously slide Windows Linux iOS Android files back and forth
over USB at 7GB per minute speeds using 100% native devices
(no proprietary software needed)
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/K0NZ0nb1pWw>

o Is there any functionality the iTunes abomination does, for a dual-boot
Win/Ubuntu PC that can't be done, better, WITHOUT iTunes?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/F-gWC05h1xQ>
--
Apple owners are used to paying money to overcome artificial restrictions.

Arlen Holder

Oct 19, 2020, 12:26:48 PM10/19/20
On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 12:06:38 -0400, nospam wrote:

>> If not, it would
>> certainly helpful to know more details.
>
> plenty were provided.

And yet there were none from nospam.

As always, nospam "waves his hands" instead of supplying actual solutions.
o All nospam ever does is fabricate imaginary functionality for iOS

Since he literally _hates_ how brain dead iOS is in terms of functionality.
--
Note to badgolferman: I can solve your problem but I want to wait because
nospam proves, every time, he has no intention of ever being purposefully

John Doe

Oct 19, 2020, 12:49:12 PM10/19/20
Apple reject troll...

--
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> From: nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid>
> Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,alt.comp.os.windows-10
> Subject: Re: Transferring Photos from iPhone to Windows 10 laptop and "Device is unreachable"
> Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 11:43:39 -0400

Paul

Oct 19, 2020, 2:24:02 PM10/19/20
The fact this thread exists, is a yard long and a yard wide,
proves that mobile devices will never catch on :-)

It's a good thing I have my point and shoot camera.
In the time it took for this thread to happen, I've
taken pictures, printed them, went down in the shop
and built wooden frames for the pictures, painted
them with several coats of finish, mounted the pictures,
nailed the pictures to the walls, opened a beer and
looked out the window.

Paul

Arlen Holder

Oct 19, 2020, 2:51:09 PM10/19/20
On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 14:23:59 -0400, Paul wrote:

> The fact this thread exists, is a yard long and a yard wide,
> proves that mobile devices will never catch on :-)
>
> It's a good thing I have my point and shoot camera.
> In the time it took for this thread to happen, I've
> taken pictures, printed them, went down in the shop
> and built wooden frames for the pictures, painted
> them with several coats of finish, mounted the pictures,
> nailed the pictures to the walls, opened a beer and
> looked out the window.

Hi Paul,

You have to realize it's Apple users we're mostly dealing with.

Notice they "buy their way out" of any problem they run into.

Apple is so profitable because Apple hands them those problems.
--
It's not the Android user who can't bring a picture over to a PC.

sms

Oct 19, 2020, 4:04:49 PM10/19/20
LOL, I knew that it was only a matter of time before someone suggested
using Virtual Box and installing Linux as a virtual machine!

This reminds be of when I attended in-person embedded systems
development classes where the pre-course prep explained that the
development platform software was Windows-only. While the Macbooks with
dual boot capability worked fine (other than having too few USB ports
and needing a USB hub) running Windows as a VM on a Macbook often did
not work due to issues with the USB ports being virtualized.

Recently, the company doing these classes, ST Micro, came up with a way
to ensure that everyone's laptop was compatible, in advance. They sent
out the development software in advance, along with a program they wrote
that checks that everything is installed properly and that all the ports
can be accessed. It was really annoying to waste an hour or so at the
beginning of each class trying to get some strange combination of
hardware and OS working. The most common problems were with someone
running Windows as a VM either on Linux or OS-X. Sadly, with Covid-19,
those hands-on training classes are a thing of the past.

nospam

Oct 19, 2020, 4:47:35 PM10/19/20
In article <rmkrgv$c5a$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> LOL, I knew that it was only a matter of time before someone suggested
> using Virtual Box and installing Linux as a virtual machine!

there is *no* need to use virtual box and linux to copy photos.

connect the iphone to the pc via a usb cable and use windows explorer,
exactly the same as with android.

to use explorer via wifi, use an app that serves smb, something not
possible on android without rooting, making it actually easier on ios.

> This reminds be of when I attended in-person embedded systems
> development classes where the pre-course prep explained that the
> development platform software was Windows-only. While the Macbooks with
> dual boot capability worked fine (other than having too few USB ports
> and needing a USB hub) running Windows as a VM on a Macbook often did
> not work due to issues with the USB ports being virtualized.

the usb ports are not virtualized when using a virtual machine.

Arlen Holder

Oct 19, 2020, 6:38:45 PM10/19/20
On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 16:47:33 -0400, nospam wrote:

> connect the iphone to the pc via a usb cable and use windows explorer,
> exactly the same as with android.
>
> to use explorer via wifi, use an app that serves smb, something not
> possible on android without rooting, making it actually easier on ios.

To be clear... iOS does NOT have the same copy functionality as Android
o *Native iOS copy functionality is limited in two rather significant ways*
<https://i.postimg.cc/DZB9YDcR/copyfiles01.jpg>

Given iOS USB file transfer functionality is decidedly NOT the same as
Android, we should note for those who don't have both iOS & Android like I
do (and like Steve, the OP does), that it's decidedly not "the same"
functionality as nospam claims.

*There is _less_ copy functionality on iOS than there is on Android*

That less native copy functionality difference in two significant areas
1. The direction of transfer (e.g., on Android, it's bidirectional)
2. The amount you can see (e.g., on Android, it's almost everything)

By way of contrast, for iOS, you're always _limited_ in those two areas:
A. For iOS, it's only one direction (i.e., the device is read only)
B. For iOS, it's only photos/videos (i.e., not the visible file system)

Other than those rather significant differences, um, yeah, it's the same:
o <https://i.postimg.cc/DZB9YDcR/copyfiles01.jpg>
--
Apple's business plan is to make people pay extra for basic functionality.

geoff

Oct 19, 2020, 11:23:45 PM10/19/20
Like trying to 'simply' copy some music files to an iPod (yes I have one).

Android - simply drag and drop into phone's music folder. On iPod, nup -
have to use the worst and most unintuitive app in the world, iTunes, or
a 3rd party application to do it.

geoff

J.O. Aho

Oct 20, 2020, 1:52:42 AM10/20/20
On 19/10/2020 18.22, Arlen Holder wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 11:43:40 -0400, nospam wrote:
>
>>> Or use an Android phone and plug it into the USB port.
>>
>> same with an iphone. works every time without the need for a vm or
>> linux.

Thanks Arlen for yet another off-topic post which is off topic and
crossposted to irrelevant groups.

I do agree with nospam, no need to install another OS when the OP's OS
capable to do what he needs and do not want to switch to another one.

Arlen Holder

Oct 20, 2020, 2:51:30 AM10/20/20
On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 16:23:37 +1300, geoff wrote:

> Like trying to 'simply' copy some music files to an iPod (yes I have one).
>
> Android - simply drag and drop into phone's music folder. On iPod, nup -
> have to use the worst and most unintuitive app in the world, iTunes, or
> a 3rd party application to do it.

Hi geoff,

Please look at this screenshot I took for you just now to prove the point:
o <https://i.postimg.cc/fRtZFGSt/sharepod01.jpg>

Interestingly, this is a _classic_ case of where having iTunes _reduces_
your functionality, since copying works better without iTunes than with it.

I repeat (and easily prove):
o *You have MORE functionality _WITHOUT_ iTunes than you do with it!*

I, like you, have both Android, iPads, & iPods so I speak from experience.
o *You _gain_ functionality the moment you eliminate iTunes from your PC!*

The first step to copying, always, is to delete the iTunes abomination
o *Literally, if you add iTunes to Windows, you _lose_ functionality!*

Then, find an old version of SharePod freeware & copy it to your iPod
o With Sharepod freeware, you instantly turn that iPod into a USB stick
Name: SharePod.exe
Size: 5521408 bytes (5392 KiB)
SHA256: 858FAFCD8706271AA33B6696D3E42C9DE51ADCDD4F713A702CECFBE67E77540F

Here's a screenshot I took just now of Sharepod working on Windows 10:
o <https://i.postimg.cc/fRtZFGSt/sharepod01.jpg>

That happens to be Sharepod freeware, "version 3.9.4 Preview 10"
o Where it's a portable application which resides on the iPod itself

Note the power this gives you is astoundingly fantastic compared to iTunes!
1. Any iPod on the planet works with any PC on the planet
2. That means it doesn't matter whom the iPod is registered to
3. You don't need to maintain the idiotic "library" concept of iTunes

I can plug any iPod on the planet (no matter whom it's registered to)
into _any_ Windows PC on the planet and copy any songs to or from that
iPod to or from that PC simply by sliding them back and forth.

Like God intended things to work.
o The iPod is simply a USB device containing as many songs as will fit.

I pity people who own Apple devices who haven't figured this stuff out yet.
--
Apple makes those profits by removing functionality & then selling it back.

Chris

Oct 20, 2020, 3:21:50 AM10/20/20
>>> I¹m having trouble understanding how to create the handshaking between the
>>> devices. Is iTunes required or is there a more direct option available?
>>
>> He often talks in riddles. I think he means icloud.
>
> nope to both.
>
>> If not, it would
>> certainly helpful to know more details.
>
> plenty were provided.

None were provided. Otherwise badgolferman nor I wouldn't be asking for
them.

So I repeat, if you know, what are steps required to get an iphone to sync
photos wirelessly to a windows 10 PC?

Arlen Holder

Oct 20, 2020, 3:23:06 AM10/20/20
On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 07:52:40 +0200, J.O. Aho wrote:

> I do agree with nospam, no need to install another OS when the OP's OS
> capable to do what he needs and do not want to switch to another one.

People like J.O. Aho don't comprehend the value of dual booting to Ubuntu.
o *J.O. Aho, like nospam, is clearly ignorant of what _write_ access means*

I understand that you completely whooshed on a key point which even the OP
understood (but you, J.O. Aho clearly did not comprehend), which is that
booting to Ubuntu on a dual-boot machine, adds _fantastic_ read and write
capabilities to that iOS device.

While I don't expect nospam or you, J.O. Aho, to comprehend that fact,
I do care that others who are more intelligent than you do comprehend that.

By booting to native Ubuntu, and by a simple text command (which I agree,
isn't intuitive, but once you know that command, you're fine), you gain
almost complete read _and_ write access to the _entire_ visible file system
of that iOS device.

Again, I don't expect you, J.O. Aho, to comprehend dual booting; but I wish
to make the point dual booting to Ubuntu definitely has that advantage.
--
People like J.O. Aho don't comprehend the value of dual booting to Ubuntu.

Arlen Holder

Oct 20, 2020, 3:42:01 AM10/20/20
On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 07:21:49 -0000 (UTC), Chris wrote:
> None were provided. Otherwise badgolferman nor I wouldn't be asking for
> them.
> So I repeat, if you know, what are steps required to get an iphone to sync
> photos wirelessly to a windows 10 PC?

I want to thank both Chris & badgolferman for being the few people who call
out nospam on his incessant games (which always turn out to be bullshit).

Whenever nospam is asked to provide any backup, he claims he already
provided it, or that he provided it and you didn't understand.

These apologists only have 7 responses to fact, none of which are adult:
o What are the common well-verified psychological traits of the Apple Apologists on this newsgroup?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/18ARDsEOPzM>

These apologists are who, alone, ruin the Apple related newsgroups.

Normally I disparage most of you iOS users because you don't hold these
apologists' feet to the fire on accountability (in fact, it's the key
reason I don't think much of you iOS users - because you're immune to
fact).

But in this case, I commend you for standing up to nospam's games.
o Note: Later, I'll show you how to do it but let's see what nospam says.
--
It's the apologists alone who ruin this Apple newsgroup.

Arlen Holder

Oct 20, 2020, 3:52:50 AM10/20/20
> o Note: Later, I'll show you how to do it but let's see what nospam says.

Since we're talking accountability, I wish to clarify that statement since
I don't bullshit, and I almost always solve all problems with freeware.

By way of contrast, nospam _always_ bullshits
o He _hates_ Apple devices lack basic functionality so he just makes it up.

Most Apple owners give up too easily, in my humble opinion, particularly
because Apple has a penchant for removing basic functionality and then
re-selling it back to the poor unsuspecting user (like Steve, the OP).

I don't give up that easily, and I don't take kindly to Apple's tricks of
removing basic functionality and then telling users to pay to get it back.

If you know me, you know I own and have purchased plenty of Apple devices
(iPods, iPads, iPhones) as shown in this screenshot I took tonight:
o <https://i.postimg.cc/fRtZFGSt/sharepod01.jpg>

I gain full read/write of those devices, over USB, without paying anyone
for anything, which is how God intended any mobile device to work with PCs.

I agree with Chris & badgolferman that we should be able to easily transfer
files, both read and write, to and from the _entire_ visible file system of
any mobile device, over our personal Wi-Fi LANs, without needing the cloud.

I have written plenty of tutorials for how to do that on Android
o The statement I wish to clarify, since credibility is key, is about iOS

I "think" I know of a way that "should" work for read (and hopefully write)
to and from an iOS device over the Wi-Fi LAN, but I need to test that out.

Meanwhile, add me to the list of people, in addition to badgolferman and
Chris who clearly saw that nospam 'said' he provided a solution - but - as
always - we're all waiting for nospam to clarify what his solution entails.

For me, the solution I strive for, always is:
a. Free
b. Read _and_ write to and from the iOS device
c. Over the Wi-Fi LAN

If nospam has that solution as he claims he does, then let's hold his feet
to the fire so we can start with _that_ solution & improve it from there.
--
I "think" I can work out a solution that is free & is read/write to/from
the iOS device and the Windows PC but I have to test it out to be sure.

J.O. Aho

Oct 20, 2020, 5:47:09 AM10/20/20
On 20/10/2020 09.23, Arlen Holder wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 07:52:40 +0200, J.O. Aho wrote:
>
>> I do agree with nospam, no need to install another OS when the OP's OS
>> capable to do what he needs and do not want to switch to another one.
>
> People like J.O. Aho don't comprehend the value of dual booting to Ubuntu.
> o *J.O. Aho, like nospam, is clearly ignorant of what _write_ access means*

As you hook in other groups into your post that do not have the full
thread, you just create an irrelevant post and for what I can see the
post you was replying to seemed to be a valid point.

So please don't break internet with your stupid crossposts, there is a
reason why followup was setup, and is again, but I guess you need to
pest the irrelevant newsgroups.

nospam

Oct 20, 2020, 7:37:27 AM10/20/20
In article <rmm36d$vaf$1...@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com>

> >> He often talks in riddles. I think he means icloud.
> >
> > nope to both.
> >
> >> If not, it would
> >> certainly helpful to know more details.
> >
> > plenty were provided.
>
> None were provided. Otherwise badgolferman nor I wouldn't be asking for
> them.

read it again.

Chris

Oct 20, 2020, 7:59:00 AM10/20/20
Sure. As soon as you let us know what "it" is.

Chris

Oct 20, 2020, 8:07:12 AM10/20/20
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
> My wife's iPhone has a load of photos and videos on it, >2GB worth. She
> wanted to transfer the photos to her Windows laptop.
>
> I could transfer a few photos, either using iTunes of Windows file
> manager, but it would disconnect after maybe 15 seconds of copying. I
> could select and transfer a few photos at a time but with more than 500
> photos that was not practical.
>
> With File Manager or Windows Photos I kept getting the error "Device is
> unreachable" after five or so photos had been copied. With iTunes it
> just stopped transferring with no error message. I tried a couple of
> different cables and tired all the suggestions for this issue I could
> find (modifying settings on the iPhone).
>
> I downloaded the trial version of "Copytrans Photos" and that worked
> fine, and the photos transferred but the trial is limited to 50 files.
>
> Before shelling out $20 for the full copy of Copytrans Photos I plugged
> the iPhone into a dual-boot Windows/Linux laptop running Ubuntu Linux
> 16.04 and all the photos transferred just fine using whatever built-in
> file manager is in Linux. Then I booted Windows and moved the photos
> onto a portable hard drive (could have used a USB stick too) to transfer
> back to my wife's PC (the exFAT external hard drive would not mount on
> Linux, though I fixed that now).
>
> So what would I have to do to transfer photos from the iPhone directly
> to a Windows 10 machine without having to use Copytrans and without this
> whole Linux rigamarole? I thought that there might have been some cable
> issue or some Windows issue, but since Copytrans worked fine under
> Windows it doesn't appear to be a hardware problem.

FTR I've had the same issues. Not quite as immediate as you, but after
copying several GB of photos windows pops up a "device is unreachable
error" and refuses to open any files on the iphone. Then I have to eject
the device from itunes, unplug it and start again. It doesn't always work
first time and have to keep trying until it finally recognised the phone
again.

Arlen Holder

Oct 20, 2020, 8:36:06 AM10/20/20
On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 07:37:26 -0400, nospam wrote:

>>> nope to both.

>>> plenty were provided.
>>
>> None were provided. Otherwise badgolferman nor I wouldn't be asking for
>> them.
>
> read it again.

Hi nospam,

Your credibility is worse than the result of a mere coin toss, nospam.
o All you ever do, is bullshit because you _hate_ the facts about Apple.

You can only survive on an Apple ng because the bar is set low on facts.
o All three types of apologists always prove completely immune to facts.

Let's check your claim, shall we nospam?

Why don't you be purposefully helpful and tell us which post it is that you
explained in sufficient detail for Chris, badgolferman, & me to reproduce?

Here, I'll even help you by pointing to the thread for you:
o Transferring Photos from iPhone to Windows 10 laptop and "Device is unreachable"
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/8TQk81xCjVw>

All you have to do is post the message URL of the post you claim exists.
o If you can't even do that, it's proof again - all you ever do is bullshit.
--
Or, are you simply incessantly bullshitting all of us, again, nospam?

nospam

Oct 20, 2020, 10:16:58 AM10/20/20
In article <rmmjtf$cqo$1...@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> FTR I've had the same issues. Not quite as immediate as you, but after
> copying several GB of photos windows pops up a "device is unreachable
> error" and refuses to open any files on the iphone. Then I have to eject
> the device from itunes, unplug it and start again. It doesn't always work
> first time and have to keep trying until it finally recognised the phone
> again.

that's not normal. there is clearly something very wrong with your
setup, but it's impossible to diagnose it remotely.

since itunes doesn't copy photos (other than as part of a full backup)
and there is no need to manually eject an iphone or ipod, it suggests
that the problem is probably not where you think it is.

badgolferman

Oct 20, 2020, 10:25:44 AM10/20/20
At least nospam blamed your equipment. Wait for Lewis or Jolly Roger
to come along and blame your intelligence.

Arlen Holder

Oct 20, 2020, 11:46:56 AM10/20/20
On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 14:25:41 +0000 (UTC), badgolferman wrote:

> At least nospam blamed your equipment. Wait for Lewis or Jolly Roger
> to come along and blame your intelligence.

In this thread, all three apologist types showed their true colors*
o Type I: nospam tried to bullshit us with claims even he doesn't believe
(and the proof is that he can't back up a single claim of his)
o Type II: Steve isn't malicious, per se - he just doesn't check his facts
(and the proof is he said Windows doesn't do what Windows clearly does)
o Type III: Jolly Roger attempted to prove his "intelligence" over everyone
(and the proof is that Jolly Roger wrote, and I quote below)
"HAHAHAHA... OMG WAHHHH I have to install software?!!!
ApPlE sUx Y'aLl!!!!
Jesus fucking christ. Get the fuck over your dumb ass self.
How fucking incompetent are you, anyway?"

What I love is that the apologists, all three types, are so predictable.
o None of them has an any capacity for accuracy of facts
--
Well, nospam has the capacity - but he's nothing more than a bullshitter.

badgolferman

Oct 20, 2020, 3:09:09 PM10/20/20
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2020-10-20, badgolferman <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> At least nospam blamed your equipment. Wait for Lewis or Jolly Roger
>> to come along and blame your intelligence.
>
> LOL...
>
> If you dip shits didn't come to the Apple newsgroups to troll them so
> often, people would be more friendly and willing to help. But since you
> choose to troll here, you will just have to deal with the consequences
> of your choice.
>
> And let's be real: What does it say about your intelligence when you
> can't even figure out how to do something as brain-dead simple as
> transferring photos from an iPhone to a Windows PC over WiFi? How
> fucking inept are you, anyway?
>
> A simple two-second web search is all it took for me to find a suitable
> solution that lets me transfer photos over WiFi from my iPhone to
> Windows 10.
>
> Sit and spin for all I care. You look like complete FOOLS to everyone
> who knows better. : D

The question was how to transfer photos by WiFi from iPhone to PC *WITHOUT*
third party software. Since the two devices are attached to the same
network the question was how can you make them be connected and use a file
manager from the PC to copy the photos. Apple already provides similar
functionality with AirPrint so why not direct copy?

Instead of continuing to be a smug asshole why not try something different
and be helpful instead? It might even make you feel better...

Chris

Oct 20, 2020, 3:36:06 PM10/20/20
:)

nospam

Oct 20, 2020, 3:51:44 PM10/20/20
In article <rmncke$ijd$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, badgolferman
<REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The question was how to transfer photos by WiFi from iPhone to PC *WITHOUT*
> third party software.

how do you do it with android?

you do realize that *also* requires third party software, right?

badgolferman

Oct 20, 2020, 3:58:09 PM10/20/20
No, I don’t have an Android, but at this rate I may very well soon.

Several messages back you stated it’s easily done by WiFi. I was trying to
find out how and you never gave a direct answer despite the direct
questions. Now I know why.

nospam

Oct 20, 2020, 4:35:05 PM10/20/20
In article <rmnfge$1qhk$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, badgolferman
<REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> The question was how to transfer photos by WiFi from iPhone to PC *WITHOUT*
> >> third party software.
> >
> > how do you do it with android?
> >
> > you do realize that *also* requires third party software, right?
> >

> No, I donıt have an Android, but at this rate I may very well soon.

why is third party software ok for android but not for iphone?

why is that even a prerequisite? if there is an app that simplifies the
task you want to do, why deny yourself the benefit? do you like making
things more difficult than they need to be?

> Several messages back you stated itıs easily done by WiFi. I was trying to
> find out how and you never gave a direct answer despite the direct
> questions. Now I know why.

i explained how via several methods.

do you want to copy photos or not?

assuming you do (which does not appear to be the case) and the method
you prefer requires an app, then download the app. it's not a big deal.

but if you refuse to use any third party apps, then use a usb cable and
the phone will mount as a drive, both iphone and android, and you can
use explorer to copy the photos since phones show up as an ordinary
digital camera. you could also use other photo apps, such as lightroom.

if you insist on wifi, then you will require smb on the phone for the
pc to see it, both iphone and android, just as it would with another pc
(or mac).

since smartphones do not serve smb natively, an smb server app will be
needed, both iphone and android.

there are also apps that are specifically optimized to copy photos (or
other assets) and will do so much faster and with a lot less hassle
than fiddling with network shares and windows explorer.

this has been explained to you several times already.

sms

Oct 20, 2020, 5:07:49 PM10/20/20
On 10/20/2020 5:07 AM, Chris wrote:

<snip>

> FTR I've had the same issues. Not quite as immediate as you, but after
> copying several GB of photos windows pops up a "device is unreachable
> error" and refuses to open any files on the iphone. Then I have to eject
> the device from itunes, unplug it and start again. It doesn't always work
> first time and have to keep trying until it finally recognised the phone
> again.

It's hard to narrow down the cause since other USB devices have no
issues plugged into the same USB port, and in fact even the iPhone
doesn't disconnect when using Copytrans Photo. For me it's only after
maybe 25-40MB of transfers before the "Device is Unreachable" error pops
up. There must be some USB issue with the older iPhones for sustained
transfers using iTunes or Windows Photo that isn't an issue for USB hard
drives or Android phones.

I won't spend a lot of time on this issue since my wife is due for a new
iPhone from her company soon, she's still on the 7 and they didn't offer
the SE yet, but she'll likely get the 12 Mini if they offer it. For now,
I advise her to use her Android phone for photos since it has a much
better camera than her iPhone 7, but not as good as what the 12 Mini
will have.

There's a Youtube video on this but I didn't try all the possible
combinations <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG98VAmIWk>. He seemed to
have found one setting that worked, then he advises not copying a lot of
files at once.

nospam

Oct 20, 2020, 5:19:35 PM10/20/20
In article <rmnjj3$qpb$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> > FTR I've had the same issues. Not quite as immediate as you, but after
> > copying several GB of photos windows pops up a "device is unreachable
> > error" and refuses to open any files on the iphone. Then I have to eject
> > the device from itunes, unplug it and start again. It doesn't always work
> > first time and have to keep trying until it finally recognised the phone
> > again.
>
> It's hard to narrow down the cause since other USB devices have no
> issues plugged into the same USB port, and in fact even the iPhone
> doesn't disconnect when using Copytrans Photo. For me it's only after
> maybe 25-40MB of transfers before the "Device is Unreachable" error pops
> up. There must be some USB issue with the older iPhones for sustained
> transfers using iTunes or Windows Photo that isn't an issue for USB hard
> drives or Android phones.

there is no usb issue whatsoever with copying photos to a windows pc
nor has there ever been. iphones show up as a normal camera, no
additional software required to copy.

zillions of people have been copying photos without issue since the
original iphone 13 years ago and continue to do it with modern iphones,
regardless of the number of photos, even with 512gb iphones.

the problem is elsewhere, and it's quite obvious where it is.

sms

Oct 20, 2020, 5:26:37 PM10/20/20
On 10/20/2020 7:25 AM, badgolferman wrote:

<snip>

> At least nospam blamed your equipment. Wait for Lewis or Jolly Roger
> to come along and blame your intelligence.

I've had them filtered out for a long time so I'd have to see their
foolishness in someone else's followup!

There's a list of things to try here as well
<https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-iphone-disconnecting/> and #9
worked for me, at least it appeared to.

It isn't worth spending a lot more time on trying to determine the root
cause. I could rent a USB analyzer and look at why the USB connection is
dropping only with the iPhone, and only with certain applications, but
that's not going to happen.

nospam

Oct 20, 2020, 5:31:16 PM10/20/20
In article <rmnkmc$2gk$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> It isn't worth spending a lot more time on trying to determine the root
> cause.

because you never actually wanted a solution. your goal was solely to
troll.

> I could rent a USB analyzer and look at why the USB connection is
> dropping only with the iPhone, and only with certain applications, but
> that's not going to happen.

you wouldn't know what to look for even if you did, and if there really
was a problem with usb on the iphone, it would affect a *lot* of people
and for a lot more than just copying photos.

Arlen Holder

Oct 20, 2020, 7:07:28 PM10/20/20
On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 14:26:34 -0700, sms wrote:

> It isn't worth spending a lot more time on trying to determine the root
> cause. I could rent a USB analyzer and look at why the USB connection is
> dropping only with the iPhone, and only with certain applications, but
> that's not going to happen.

Purposefully helpful advice on USB debugging freeware...
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/HkfHsx6chBk/U47ILh5KAQAJ>

Here are screenshots debugging intermittent Windows USB connections:
o <https://i.postimg.cc/2SSN3bKR/usbview01.jpg>
o <https://i.postimg.cc/rmCXCgN2/usbview02.jpg>
o <https://i.postimg.cc/RZJGLwY8/usbview03.jpg>
--
More details on the Microsoft Windows newsgroup:
o <http://tinyurl.com/microsoft-windows>

Arlen Holder

Oct 20, 2020, 7:08:16 PM10/20/20
On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 16:35:04 -0400, nospam wrote:

> i explained how via several methods.

No you did not - you are never purposefully helpful nospam.
o You're the quintessential definition of a worthless piece of shit troll.

All you did was wave your hands with your worthless bullshit, nospam.

You're always full of shit nospam - because you have no helpful intent.
o You know less about iOS than I do (which is pretty damn little).

You're a worthless piece of shit, nospam, simply _because_ your only intent
is to tow the Apple party line, where you'll fabricate anything to do so.

As you did here.
o *It's you worthless pieces of shit apologists who ruin this newsgroup.*
--
BTW, to badgolferman & Chris, I know of a way that 'should' work which fits
your requirements of no third-party software, but I am waiting for nospam

Arlen Holder

Oct 20, 2020, 7:36:07 PM10/20/20
On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 17:31:15 -0400, nospam wrote:

>> It isn't worth spending a lot more time on trying to determine the root
>> cause.
>
> because you never actually wanted a solution. your goal was solely to
> troll.

It's unpreposessing Apple apologists like nospam who ruin Apple newsgroups.
o They repeatedly & incessantly fabricate imaginary Apple functionality

o Why do Apple Apologists constantly brazenly fabricate what turns out to be wholly imaginary Apple functionality?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/SZfblCIRc9s>

It was proven, in spades, in this very thread, that nospam incessantly
bullshitted everyone where he _still_ can't name the solution he claims.

o Why do the Apple Apologists constantly send poor unsuspecting iOS users on wild goose chases?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/ynh0PE9lK_I>

>> I could rent a USB analyzer and look at why the USB connection is
>> dropping only with the iPhone, and only with certain applications, but
>> that's not going to happen.
>
> you wouldn't know what to look for even if you did, and if there really
> was a problem with usb on the iphone, it would affect a *lot* of people
> and for a lot more than just copying photos.

To be purposefully helpful, Steve could have an intermittence problem,
although he'd have to test it to be sure since he claims it only happens in
some circumstances.

The good news is there are freeware USB debugging utilities Steve can
employ that will help him pinpoint USB intermittence, which, thanks to Paul
and a few other purposefully helpful people, helped me do so recently.

I suggest Steve keeps this freeware running while he's doing his copies:
o USB Device Tree Viewer V3.4.0
<https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html>

This freeware also has similar (and different) USB diagnostic output:
o USBDeview v3.01
<https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html>
--
It's always purposefully unhelpful people like nospam who ruin Usenet.

Arlen Holder

Oct 21, 2020, 11:12:57 AM10/21/20
On 21 Oct 2020 04:58:16 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

>> The question was how to transfer photos by WiFi from iPhone to PC
>> *WITHOUT* third party software.
>
> Which is ridiculous considering Microsoft *has* *no* built-in support
> for photo synchronization with iPhones in Windows, and they killed
> Photos Companion which *did*` sync photos from both Android and iOS
> over WiFi. *OF COURSE* third-party software of some type is required.
> The OP even mentioned that he had used third-party software in the
> initial post for fuck's sake.

This is for _adults_ (i.e., not apologists, who are immune to facts).
o I'm biding my time, as I did with Snit, to let them prove me always right.

Bearing in mind the critically important observation that I know very
little about iOS but _always_ you apologists prove to know far less then
even I do... (which is sad in the Dunning-Kruger way I mean it)...

*I'm pretty sure Jolly Roger (& nospam) are dead wrong when they say that.*

I plan to prove they're dead wrong in this nascent proof-of-concept thread:
o Placeholder for a solution tutorial for anyone on native iOS to copy photos to Windows over Wi-Fi at no cost
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/jmX_AKX1dO8>

There are reasons I am pretty sure the apologists are dead wrong.
o Bear in mind, my credibility is stellar since I don't bullshit

Compare that to the apologists who _always_ bullshit
o They'll defend Apple with their very lives

Such that their credibility is no better than the result of a coin toss.
o Meanwhile, nobody has _ever_ found my facts to be wrong

Even after _decades_ of posting daily scores of posts on Usenet
o Never once has _anyone_ found my facts to be materially wrong!

And yet, I am pretty sure these apologsits are dead wrong in their claim.

For one, apologists almost always prove to know almost nothing about iOS
(they know even less than I do, which we've proved _many_ times when they
vehemently claim imaginary functionality that simply doesn't exist).
o Why do Apple Apologists constantly brazenly fabricate what turns out to be wholly imaginary Apple functionality?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/SZfblCIRc9s>

So what the apologists claim, is almost always simply because they _hate_
that iOS generally lacks basic functionality on every other platform.
o Why do the Apple Apologists constantly send poor unsuspecting iOS users on wild goose chases?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/ynh0PE9lK_I>

Anyway, every time nospam & Jolly Roger claim it can't be done...
o It's further proof that the apologists' credibility is utterly worthless
--
I'm just biding my time, as I did with Snit, to let them prove me right.

Arlen Holder

Oct 21, 2020, 11:24:51 AM10/21/20
*You have to _read_ how "purposefully helpful" these apologists truly are!*

BTW, for the photo & Windows newsgroup, below is the post I responded to
where you can sympathize with us adults who are purposefully helpful that
we have to incessantly deal with these TYPE III apologists like Alan Baker,
Jolly Roger, Lewis, et al., just to get even the simplest tasks done with
iOS & Windows with respect to copying over photos.

TYPE I apologists: (e.g., nospam)
o They know the most.
o But they will _always_ defend Apple MARKETING with their very life.
o Such that their credibility is no better than a coin toss result.
(And yet, nospam doesn't believe a single word of what he says.)

Type III apologists: (e.g., sms)
o They're not malicious like the other two types.
o But they never seem to bother to check their facts.
o Such that their credibility is akin to predicting a card-game outcome.
(For example, Steve _still_ thinks Qualcomm royalties went down.)

Type III apologists: (e.g., Jolly Roger)
o They are the true Jim-Jones cultists of the Apple MARKETING mantra.
o They take any fact about Apple as a personal affront to their self worth.
o What's petrifying is that they actually _believe_ everything they say!
(Worse, they viciously and personally attack any adult who happens
to speak a fact which they _hate_ about Apple products,
because those facts actually are a DANGER to their entire self worth.)

See also the 7 responses to fact (none of which are adult) of apologists:
o What are the common well-verified psychological traits of the Apple Apologists on this newsgroup?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/18ARDsEOPzM>

Since Jolly Roger sets the no-archive bit, you won't find this in Google
archives, but you will find it in the narkives:
o <http://rec.photo.digital.narkive.com>
o <http://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com>
o <http://misc.phone.mobile.iphone.narkive.com>

You have to _read_ how "purposefully helpful" these apologists truly are!
o This is Jolly Roger's post in its entirety.

NOTE: If you're thinking Dunning Kruger 1st quadrant, you'd be correct.

On 2020-10-20, badgolferman <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> On 2020-10-20, badgolferman <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> At least nospam blamed your equipment. Wait for Lewis or Jolly
>>> Roger to come along and blame your intelligence.
>>
>> LOL...
>>
>> If you dip shits didn't come to the Apple newsgroups to troll them so
>> often, people would be more friendly and willing to help. But since
>> you choose to troll here, you will just have to deal with the
>> consequences of your choice.
>>
>> And let's be real: What does it say about your intelligence when you
>> can't even figure out how to do something as brain-dead simple as
>> transferring photos from an iPhone to a Windows PC over WiFi? How
>> fucking inept are you, anyway?
>>
>> A simple two-second web search is all it took for me to find a
>> suitable solution that lets me transfer photos over WiFi from my
>> iPhone to Windows 10.
>>
>> Sit and spin for all I care. You look like complete FOOLS to everyone
>> who knows better. : D
>
> The question was how to transfer photos by WiFi from iPhone to PC
> *WITHOUT* third party software.

Which is ridiculous considering Microsoft *has* *no* built-in support
for photo synchronization with iPhones in Windows, and they killed
Photos Companion which *did*` sync photos from both Android and iOS
over WiFi. *OF COURSE* third-party software of some type is required.
The OP even mentioned that he had used third-party software in the
initial post for fuck's sake.

> Since the two devices are attached to the same network the question
> was how can you make them be connected and use a file manager from the
> PC to copy the photos.

Nope, the question was *not* strictly about file managers. The OP
mentioned other apps, such as Windows Photos, and Copytrans Photos, a
*THIRD* *PARTY* *APP* - *OH* *MY*!

> Apple already provides similar functionality with AirPrint so why not
> direct copy?

You must mean AirDrop. And no, Apple isn't obligated to support AirDrop
as a built-in feature of other platforms. Get fucking real. If *anyone*
should be providing support, it's Microsoft. And they did, but then they
killed it. See above.

> Instead of continuing to be a smug asshole why not try something
> different and be helpful instead? It might even make you feel
> better...

Nah. All you dip shits do here is spend weeks creating huge, laborious
troll threads often cross-posted to advocacy and other unrelated
newsgroups, going endlessly back and forth trying to find the most
*complicated* ways to do the *simplest* things the rest of us do with
*ease* day in and day out because we don't hamstring ourselves with
inferior devices/computers. Then you turn around and call the rest of us
"ApoLoGiStS!!! *SPITTLE* *COUGH* *WHEEZE*" for daring to suggest there's
a better way, and whine that we are "smug assholes" when we don't bend
over backwards to help your sorry asses get simple things done, but with
your asinine restrictions. For all the rest of us care, you can drown in
your stupidity.

JR

Arlen Holder

Oct 21, 2020, 12:15:39 PM10/21/20
On 21 Oct 2020 04:59:30 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

>> Several messages back you stated it┬ easily done by WiFi.
>
> It is.

Tell us how, Jolly Roger, for free, using native iOS.

Hell, tell us how, Jolly Roger, for free, using 3rd party software.

That would be "purposefully helpful" of you, Jolly Roger.
--
Apologists have no interest in ever being simply "purposefully helpful".

Arlen Holder

Oct 21, 2020, 12:19:01 PM10/21/20
On 21 Oct 2020 05:00:06 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> No, I donšt have an Android, but at this rate I may very well soon.
>>
>> why is third party software ok for android but not for iphone?
>
> Because: troll.

The apologists try to compare Android to iOS but they fall flat on facts.

For two things, Android is bidirectional to the entire visible file system.

That alone is a _huge_ difference in functionality right off the bat.
--
Apologists have absolutely no interest in being purposefully helpful.
Their only goal is to defend Apple because Apple === their self worth.

sms

Oct 21, 2020, 12:30:47 PM10/21/20
On 10/20/2020 5:07 AM, Chris wrote:

> FTR I've had the same issues. Not quite as immediate as you, but after
> copying several GB of photos windows pops up a "device is unreachable
> error" and refuses to open any files on the iphone. Then I have to eject
> the device from itunes, unplug it and start again. It doesn't always work
> first time and have to keep trying until it finally recognised the phone
> again.

It must be some issue with the USB interface on the iPhone (in this case
an iPhone 7).

Do a Google search for "device is unreachable transfer photos iphone"
and it's clear that this is not an isolated problem (398,000 hits!).
Even the Google results that go to Apple's site don't really have any
solution other than trying another cable.

There doesn't appear to be re-enumeration of the USB device by the
laptop because the sound that plays when a USB devices is plugged or
unplugged doesn't occur.

nospam

Oct 21, 2020, 1:14:16 PM10/21/20
In article <rmpnnl$n47$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> It must be some issue with the USB interface on the iPhone (in this case
> an iPhone 7).

nope. that is an incorrect conclusion.

> Do a Google search for "device is unreachable transfer photos iphone"
> and it's clear that this is not an isolated problem (398,000 hits!).
> Even the Google results that go to Apple's site don't really have any
> solution other than trying another cable.

do a search for 'device is unreachable transfer photos android', and
it's 3 million hits, an order of magnitude higher.

> There doesn't appear to be re-enumeration of the USB device by the
> laptop because the sound that plays when a USB devices is plugged or
> unplugged doesn't occur.

that's because usb isn't the issue.

Chris

Oct 21, 2020, 1:32:57 PM10/21/20
*crickets*

sms

Oct 21, 2020, 1:35:15 PM10/21/20
On 10/21/2020 10:32 AM, Chris wrote:

<snip>

>>> read it again.
>>>

>> Sure. As soon as you let us know what "it" is.
>
> *crickets*

Chris: “Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the
difference.” – Mark Twain.

nospam

Oct 21, 2020, 1:41:06 PM10/21/20
In article <rmprc8$ht6$1...@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com>
you know quite well what 'it' along with intentionally ignoring
numerous detailed explanations.

you have zero interest in an answer and clearly trolling.

Chris

Oct 21, 2020, 2:16:05 PM10/21/20
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
> On 10/20/2020 7:25 AM, badgolferman wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> At least nospam blamed your equipment. Wait for Lewis or Jolly Roger
>> to come along and blame your intelligence.
>
> I've had them filtered out for a long time so I'd have to see their
> foolishness in someone else's followup!
>
> There's a list of things to try here as well
> <https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-iphone-disconnecting/> and #9
> worked for me, at least it appeared to.

Many thanks for this. Will have a look through them.

Chris

Oct 21, 2020, 2:22:02 PM10/21/20
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
> On 10/20/2020 5:07 AM, Chris wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> FTR I've had the same issues. Not quite as immediate as you, but after
>> copying several GB of photos windows pops up a "device is unreachable
>> error" and refuses to open any files on the iphone. Then I have to eject
>> the device from itunes, unplug it and start again. It doesn't always work
>> first time and have to keep trying until it finally recognised the phone
>> again.
>
> It's hard to narrow down the cause since other USB devices have no
> issues plugged into the same USB port, and in fact even the iPhone
> doesn't disconnect when using Copytrans Photo. For me it's only after
> maybe 25-40MB of transfers before the "Device is Unreachable" error pops
> up. There must be some USB issue with the older iPhones for sustained
> transfers using iTunes or Windows Photo that isn't an issue for USB hard
> drives or Android phones.

Mines an XR. So not just old phones. My impression is that it's a windows
(explorer) issue not the phone, but that could easily be my prejudice.

Chris

Oct 21, 2020, 2:22:02 PM10/21/20
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> how do you do it with android?
>>>
>>> you do realize that *also* requires third party software, right?
>>>

>> No, I don¹t have an Android, but at this rate I may very well soon.
>
> why is third party software ok for android but not for iphone?
>
> why is that even a prerequisite? if there is an app that simplifies the
> task you want to do, why deny yourself the benefit? do you like making
> things more difficult than they need to be?
>
>> Several messages back you stated it¹s easily done by WiFi. I was trying to
>> find out how and you never gave a direct answer despite the direct
>> questions. Now I know why.
>
> i explained how via several methods.
>
> do you want to copy photos or not?
>
> assuming you do (which does not appear to be the case) and the method
> you prefer requires an app, then download the app. it's not a big deal.
>
> but if you refuse to use any third party apps, then use a usb cable and
> the phone will mount as a drive, both iphone and android, and you can
> use explorer to copy the photos since phones show up as an ordinary
> digital camera. you could also use other photo apps, such as lightroom.
>
> if you insist on wifi, then you will require smb on the phone for the
> pc to see it, both iphone and android, just as it would with another pc
> (or mac).
>
> since smartphones do not serve smb natively, an smb server app will be
> needed, both iphone and android.
>
> there are also apps that are specifically optimized to copy photos (or
> other assets) and will do so much faster and with a lot less hassle
> than fiddling with network shares and windows explorer.
>
> this has been explained to you several times already.

This is the *first* time you've explained it clearly and thoroughly in this
thread. Thank you for that.

Chris

Oct 21, 2020, 2:36:46 PM10/21/20
You're a mind reader now, are you? Not only are you the authoritative voice
of the majority, but also know what I know. Wow.

Your *only* detailed explanation was posted - in response to badgolferman -
9 hours *after* my post. So you know "it" didn't exist. Unless you can show
otherwise.

> you have zero interest in an answer and clearly trolling.

If I wasn't interested in an answer I wouldn't keep asking for one. Now
that you have provided a substantive answer, I've thanked you for it. You
clearly know your stuff, but getting a coherent answer from you is
excruciatingly difficult.

Throwing around "troll" reflects more on you than me.

nospam

Oct 21, 2020, 3:12:18 PM10/21/20
In article <rmpu89$7cr$2...@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> No, I don1t have an Android, but at this rate I may very well soon.
> >
> > why is third party software ok for android but not for iphone?
> >
> > why is that even a prerequisite? if there is an app that simplifies the
> > task you want to do, why deny yourself the benefit? do you like making
> > things more difficult than they need to be?
> >
> >> Several messages back you stated it1s easily done by WiFi. I was trying to
> >> find out how and you never gave a direct answer despite the direct
> >> questions. Now I know why.
> >
> > i explained how via several methods.
> >
> > do you want to copy photos or not?
> >
> > assuming you do (which does not appear to be the case) and the method
> > you prefer requires an app, then download the app. it's not a big deal.
> >
> > but if you refuse to use any third party apps, then use a usb cable and
> > the phone will mount as a drive, both iphone and android, and you can
> > use explorer to copy the photos since phones show up as an ordinary
> > digital camera. you could also use other photo apps, such as lightroom.
> >
> > if you insist on wifi, then you will require smb on the phone for the
> > pc to see it, both iphone and android, just as it would with another pc
> > (or mac).
> >
> > since smartphones do not serve smb natively, an smb server app will be
> > needed, both iphone and android.
> >
> > there are also apps that are specifically optimized to copy photos (or
> > other assets) and will do so much faster and with a lot less hassle
> > than fiddling with network shares and windows explorer.
> >
> > this has been explained to you several times already.
>
> This is the *first* time you've explained it clearly and thoroughly in this
> thread. Thank you for that.

it's definitely *not* the first time.

i think it's the third time, maybe more.

nospam

Oct 21, 2020, 3:12:19 PM10/21/20
In article <rmpv3t$dvk$1...@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com>
read the thread, which as you well know, is exactly what 'it' means.

if you did that, you would see the several previous explanations, which
you have chosen to ignore because they prove you wrong.

> > you have zero interest in an answer and clearly trolling.
>
> If I wasn't interested in an answer I wouldn't keep asking for one. Now
> that you have provided a substantive answer, I've thanked you for it. You
> clearly know your stuff, but getting a coherent answer from you is
> excruciatingly difficult.

given that you ignored multiple previous detailed explanations, the
only reasonable conclusion is that you are not interested in an answer
and are simply trolling.

adding to that is it's not the first time you've done it either.

Arlen Holder

Oct 21, 2020, 4:06:22 PM10/21/20
On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 18:36:45 -0000 (UTC), Chris wrote:

> If I wasn't interested in an answer I wouldn't keep asking for one. Now
> that you have provided a substantive answer, I've thanked you for it. You
> clearly know your stuff, but getting a coherent answer from you is
> excruciatingly difficult.

Chris,

Regarding:
o Transferring Photos from iPhone to Windows 10 laptop and "Device is unreachable"
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/8TQk81xCjVw>

Even when you pin nospam down to "an" answer...
o IMHO... he (& Jolly Roger) gave you (& badgolferman) the _wrong_ answer.

I intend the proof to be here - but I'm allowing the apologists to continue
to prove that I'm correct that their credibility is virtually worthless:
o Placeholder for a solution tutorial for anyone on native iOS to copy photos to Windows over Wi-Fi at no cost
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/jmX_AKX1dO8>

The sad thing isn't that I am clear that I don't know much about iOS, but,
that these apologists, all three types, know far _less_ than even I do!
o Type I (e.g., nospam) always simply parrot what MARKETING wants them to
o Type II (e.g., sms) believe MARKETING without ever checking their facts
o TYPE III (e.g., Jolly Roger) are brain-washed Apple cultists to the core

None of them even know the difference between a decibel & a megabit
o They're _that_ incredibly immune to even the simplest of basic facts!

Just like they did when they claimed that iOS could do something as simple
as graph WiFi Signal over time - all of them - even Frank - touted that!

And yet, they didn't even _look_ at what they were touting
o More to the point, they didn't understand the simplest of facts about iOS

Remember that?
o They touted "Snit's solution" without ever looking at the Y axis!

Proof here:
o What freeware graphical Wi-Fi debugging tools do you use on Android & iOS to graph signal strength for available APs over time?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/QlDr3oeZExA>

And more proof here (including Frank Slootweg's responses):
o It's a fact iOS devices can't even graph Wi-Fi signal strength over time
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/PZuec56EWB0>

And in this Snit video here:
o iOS showing Wi-Fi over time
<https://youtu.be/7QaABa6DFIo>

Notice that all these apologists are so shockingly immune to facts...
o That they actually _think_ that video shows what it purports to show

Every single apologist is clueless of the most obvious of the basic facts
o It's shocking - they're all incredibly stupid - and that's easy to prove

Just _look_ at that video - which even Frank Slootweg applauded
o None of these utter morons can handle even the slightest level of fact

As posted by Snit himself, who, like Alan Baker, owns the rare distinction
of being so creepily stalkingly petrifyingly psychologically unsound that
they're almost the only two people I've plonked in decades of Usenet:
o <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/PZuec56EWB0/qSXecrnZAQAJ>
--
Underlying truth of all apologists is they're incredibly immune to facts.

Arlen Holder

Oct 21, 2020, 4:24:49 PM10/21/20
On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 20:06:22 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> Every single apologist is clueless of the most obvious of the basic facts
> o It's shocking - they're all incredibly stupid - and that's easy to prove

*These incredibly ignorant apologists are who ruin Usenet for everyone.*

BTW, if you guys wonder _why_ I prove that the apologists are incredibly
stupid is simply that they comprise the bulk of the Apple ng responses.

Literally, 99% of most threads is filled to the brim with their idiocy.
o Anyone with adult cognition can see how incredibly ignorant they are.

Look, for example, at this rather prolific apologist's posts, Alan Baker:
o Why are apologists so fantastically immune to basic skills an adult should have?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/EiNl6hyMBDo>

Read that thread please... it contains much proof of what I claim.
o Can you even imagine people _that_ incredibly ignorant?

Worse, they hold very strong opinions _based_ on their incredible stupidity
o The apologists are all perfect Quadrant I Dunning Kruger to the core!

o Apologists are far to the left on the Dunning-Kruger scale
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/MwtyT7BdxF4>

Many (many) many threads prove every statement I make of their ignorance.
o Mostly they simply deny facts which don't fit into their Apple beliefs.

o Clear evidence that the real factual problem on Apple Usenet newsgroups - is simply that apologists exist
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/mQsBECSbICw>

It's petrifyingly shocking how incredibly ignorant apologists are.
o And yet, they comprise the bulk of the responses to this thread
--
These incredibly ignorant apologists are who ruin Usenet for everyone.

Chris

Oct 22, 2020, 3:01:52 AM10/22/20
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> you know quite well what 'it' along with intentionally ignoring
>>> numerous detailed explanations.
>>
>> You're a mind reader now, are you? Not only are you the authoritative voice
>> of the majority, but also know what I know. Wow.
>>
>> Your *only* detailed explanation was posted - in response to badgolferman -
>> 9 hours *after* my post. So you know "it" didn't exist. Unless you can show
>> otherwise.
>
> read the thread, which as you well know, is exactly what 'it' means.
>
> if you did that, you would see the several previous explanations, which
> you have chosen to ignore because they prove you wrong.

If you had it would have been easy to point me to it rather than tell me to
read dozens of posts. I wasn't the only one either.

I normally killfile you so I don't see all your posts, mostly just the ones
answering me directly.

Frank Slootweg

Oct 22, 2020, 9:22:35 AM10/22/20
Arlen Holder <arlen_...@newmachines.com> wrote:
[...]

> The sad thing isn't that I am clear that I don't know much about iOS, but,
> that these apologists, all three types, know far _less_ than even I do!
> o Type I (e.g., nospam) always simply parrot what MARKETING wants them to
> o Type II (e.g., sms) believe MARKETING without ever checking their facts
> o TYPE III (e.g., Jolly Roger) are brain-washed Apple cultists to the core
>
> None of them even know the difference between a decibel & a megabit
> o They're _that_ incredibly immune to even the simplest of basic facts!
>
> Just like they did when they claimed that iOS could do something as simple
> as graph WiFi Signal over time - all of them - even Frank - touted that!

Frank did no such thing [1] and has repeated told you so!

So post *proof* (i.e. a *full* <http://al.howardknight.net> URL to the
article in which I - allegedly - 'touted that') or kindly STFU.

[...]

> And more proof here (including Frank Slootweg's responses):
> o It's a fact iOS devices can't even graph Wi-Fi signal strength over time
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/PZuec56EWB0>

That URL points to a *single* article by *you* ('harry newton'), not
by me. (At least for me it points to a single article. Remember that
Google Groups has multiple UIs, so while GG URLs hardly ever worked,
they're completely useless now.) So once more, post a full howardknight
URL or STFU.

[...]

> Just _look_ at that video - which even Frank Slootweg applauded
> o None of these utter morons can handle even the slightest level of fact

You didn't understand *what* I 'applauded' (FTR, *I* never used that
term, it's just another one of *your* brain warps) at the time and
apparently *still* don't understand. What's new!? :-(

Bottom line: *Deliver* or STFU!

[1] It would be near impossible for me to have 'touted that', because I
don't have any significant knowledge of / experience with iOS.

Arlen Holder

Oct 22, 2020, 9:46:51 AM10/22/20
On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 07:01:51 -0000 (UTC), Chris wrote:
>> read the thread, which as you well know, is exactly what 'it' means.
>>
>> if you did that, you would see the several previous explanations, which
>> you have chosen to ignore because they prove you wrong.
>
> If you had it would have been easy to point me to it rather than tell me to
> read dozens of posts. I wasn't the only one either.
>
> I normally killfile you so I don't see all your posts, mostly just the ones
> answering me directly.

The credibility of nospam is unprepossessingly worthless.

The fact nospam _still_ can't point to a single word he has said that backs
up his claims is a clear proof of not only that nospam is nothing but
bullshit, but that anyone who believes a word nospam claims, is bamboozled.
It is loading more messages.