Funeral Home business

JAB

Sep 20, 2021, 10:57:39 PM9/20/21
Funeral Home business

More than 3.35 million people died last year in the United States—far
more than the death trade was easily able to handle. Over 70% of the
excess deaths were attributable to COVID-19, a recent analysis found.
Others were related to the disruption of the pandemic and some to
simple chance. In hotspots around the country, funeral homes,
cemeteries, and crematoria were under unprecedented stress as a system
designed to accommodate a predictable number of deaths (around 2.8
million in a more normal year like 2019) confronted the challenges of
caring for many more.
https://fortune.com/2021/08/07/covid-funerals-death-care-industry-burial-cremation-pandemic/

Michael Trew

Sep 22, 2021, 10:58:53 PM9/22/21
I Guess they could go back to the pre-depression era style of having
funerals at home.

Fun fact, the parlor, in the front of the house (the formal room in most
family homes), was nick-named the "dead/death room" because in many
family homes during the Spanish Flu pandemic, the dead were laid out in
this room for the viewing. Of course, these viewings at home were still
common in the era, but they became much more frequent in the 1918 - 1920
era because of the dead from the pandemic. After the pandemic, to
alleviate this terrible name, a trend was started to call this room the
"living room", to sound more bright and happy. Clearly, 100 years
later, the moniker has stuck.

This info was from the top of my head, but here's a source that agrees
and delves in:

https://random-times.com/2019/01/25/what-we-call-today-living-room-was-actually-called-death-room-in-the-victorian-era/

JAB

Sep 22, 2021, 11:23:13 PM9/22/21
On Wed, 22 Sep 2021 22:58:54 -0400, Michael Trew
<michae...@att.net> wrote:

>I Guess they could go back to the pre-depression era style of having
>funerals at home.

State laws would have to be considered.

I'm raw on this topic, but I know there are regulations/laws that
detail specific procedures that must be taken.

When hospitals use refrigerated trailers to store bodies...there is a
reason/law for doing this.

Michael Trew

Sep 24, 2021, 7:04:41 PM9/24/21
Possibly, I don't know either. I'm sure these regulations didn't exist
years ago before funeral homes were a thing.