U.S. Supreme Court blocks Biden vaccine-or-test policy

JAB

Jan 13, 2022, 8:24:12 PM1/13/22
U.S. Supreme Court blocks Biden vaccine-or-test policy for large
businesses

Conservative-majority court divided on both cases
Blocked policy applied to companies with 100-plus workers
Vaccines needed at facilities that take Medicare, Medicaid

The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday blocked President Joe Biden's
COVID-19 vaccination-or-testing mandate for large businesses - a
policy the conservative justices deemed an improper imposition on the
lives and health of many Americans - while endorsing a separate
federal vaccine requirement for healthcare facilities.
Gerald Harmon, president of the American Medical Association
physicians group, said that although he is pleased the court allowed
the healthcare worker mandate, the broader workplace rule is also
needed.

"Workplace transmission has been a major factor in the spread of
COVID-19," Harmon added. "Now more than ever, workers in all settings
across the country need commonsense, evidence-based protections
against COVID-19 infection, hospitalization and death.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-supreme-court-blocks-biden-vaccine-or-test-policy-large-businesses-2022-01-13/

JAB

Jan 15, 2022, 7:15:26 PM1/15/22
On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 19:24:12 -0600, JAB <he...@is.invalid> wrote:

>U.S. Supreme Court blocks Biden vaccine-or-test policy for large
>businesses
>
> Conservative-majority court divided on both cases
> Blocked policy applied to companies with 100-plus workers
> Vaccines needed at facilities that take Medicare, Medicaid

Excellent overview below, but the upshot for businesses is that
Congress needs to legislate this power to vaccinate at businesses. In
other words, SCOTUS punted the ball to Congress to act. I'd have to
ask a legal eagle if SCOTUS was being faithful to previous decisions.

From an economic perspective, which has been US Government's focus
since its beginning, SCOTUS seems not to support this objective.

Updates on Legal Challenges to CMS and OSHA Vaccine Mandate Rule
https://www.aha.org/news/blog/2021-12-01-blog-updates-legal-challenges-cms-vaccine-mandate-rule

JAB

Jan 16, 2022, 11:13:54 PM1/16/22
The Supreme Court Has Anointed Itself Czar of the Country's COVID
Rules

The conservative justices say that vaccine policy is Congress’s or the
states' job, but in practice they're the ones calling the shots now.

<https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/01/supreme-court-vaccine-mandate-congress-osha-states/621250/>