"F*** the school ... F*** cheer, F*** everything."

JAB

Jun 23, 2021, 1:27:10 PM6/23/21
Supreme Court Rules Cheerleader's F-Bombs Are Protected By The 1st
Amendment

The U.S. Supreme Court sided with students on Wednesday, ruling that a
former cheerleader's online F-bombs about her school is protected
speech under the First Amendment.

By an 8-1 vote, the court declared that school administrators do have
the power to punish student speech that occurs online or off campus if
it genuinely disrupts classroom study. But the justices concluded that
a few swear words posted online from off campus, as in this case, did
not rise to the definition of disruptive.

"While public schools may have a special interest in regulating some
off-campus student speech, the special interests offered by the school
are not sufficient to overcome B. L.'s interest in free expression in
this case," Justice Stephen Breyer wrote for the court's majority.

<https://www.npr.org/2021/06/23/1001382019/supreme-court-rules-cheerleaders-f-bombs-are-protected-by-the-first-amendment>

Michael Trew

Jun 24, 2021, 11:16:29 PM6/24/21
I agree, if it's not done on school grounds, and it's not an immediate
disruption. That being said, this could set a dangerous precedent that
we can bash whomever we want on social media, and possibly get away with
libel... basically, this student's vulgarity looks very poorly on the
school.

When my daughter started at a private Christian school, the school
administrators had us sign a disclosure to agree to dispute issues in
private with the school, and specifically to NOT be disruptive on social
media or in public involving the school.

JAB

Jun 24, 2021, 11:47:24 PM6/24/21
On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 23:16:33 -0400, Michael Trew <mt99...@ymail.com>
wrote:

> That being said, this could set a dangerous precedent that
>we can bash whomever we want on social media, and possibly get away with
>libel... basically, this student's vulgarity looks very poorly on the
>school.

Good luck finding a job in the future, with a decent company.

I suspect strongly there are databases that collect and sell your
Internet bio.

In Usenet days, "they" were doing it...for those who used their name
in posts.

Before 1980, a person could move to another state or city and start
over, if they didn't make national news. These days, even Google
searches can bring up 'dirty laundry' on a person.

I have a rental home, and have used Craigslists to advertise when
available. Commerical folks tend to run background checks, and
deadbeats know this, so they attempt to put their foot in my door.

So far, I've only been taken once...she had changed her name, so I
could not see her previous court activities. Google searches can
bring out cites to previous bad behavior, along with court
records....but I can only search local court records.

Via Google search, one dude had just got busted on drug charges in
another county....no way.

Michael Trew

Jun 25, 2021, 11:02:36 PM6/25/21
Are their paid more through background searches that you can do before
renting to someone?

I was just basically given a house in town that has been vacant for 5
years when the owner passed. His family hasn't been paying the taxes,
and they don't want it. It needs a good deal of work, but I have some
neighborhood kids looking for work gutting it on the cheap. It's not
worth flipping, but I've been thinking of trying my hand at renting.