Manchin taking heat for what should be political normalcy

Michael Trew

Jun 21, 2021, 12:42:33 AM6/21/21
"...Worse for Biden, several Democratic senators, most notably Joe
Manchin of West Virginia and Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona, aren’t on board
for a new New Deal or new progressive era.

The problem for Biden is he has an agenda that would be plausible with
60 reliable votes in the Senate but is impossible when he has to
scramble to get even 50.

That harsh reality became clear over the weekend, when Manchin announced
in an op-ed that he would not vote for the “For the People Act,” which
would radically federalize the way we conduct elections.

The Democratic base thinks this is largely a Manchin problem. New York
Rep. Jamaal Bowman told CNN on Monday that “Joe Manchin has become the
new Mitch McConnell. … Joe Manchin is doing everything in his power to
stop democracy.”

Rep. Mondaire Jones of New York indefensibly tweeted that Manchin’s
op-ed might as well be titled “Why I’ll vote to preserve Jim Crow.”

This is unhinged from reality. Manchin is almost surely the only
Democrat who can get elected in his state. He’d beat a West Virginian
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez handily, and if he didn’t, a Republican would
in the general election. You can have a centrist Democratic senator from
West Virginia or no Democratic senator at all.

This is what normalcy is supposed to look like: two parties trying to
figure out how to win over the center. And it’s long overdue."

https://tribunecontentagency.com/article/jonah-goldberg-manchin-taking-heat-for-what-should-be-political-normalcy/

JAB

Jun 21, 2021, 6:15:44 AM6/21/21
On Mon, 21 Jun 2021 00:42:31 -0400, Michael Trew <mt99...@ymail.com>
wrote:

>This is what normalcy is supposed to look like: two parties trying to
>figure out how to win over the center. And it's long overdue."

I'm not sure when that happened last...but its been a long time.

Michael Trew

Jun 21, 2021, 11:56:23 AM6/21/21
Which is quite an unfortunate circumstance. Personally, I think our
country would be far better off without any form of political parties.
People on either side bend their beliefs to fit in with to the leaning
of one party or another, and that just causes them to clash head on,
entirely divided along partisan lines.