Trump Ordered to Pay $355 Million

JAB

Feb 16, 2024, 5:06:02 PMFeb 16
NBC
Judge fines Donald Trump more than $350 million, bars him from running
businesses in N.Y. for three years
===============================

The judgment, filed in New York County Supreme Court Friday, is a
scathing rebuke of the former president's business prowess while at
the helm of The Trump Organization and may leave him scrounging for
cash to comply with the order by the 30-day deadline.

https://commercialobserver.com/2024/02/trump-ruling-355m-penalty/

JAB

Feb 16, 2024, 10:20:36 PMFeb 16

Feb 17, 2024, 6:19:15 AMFeb 17
This is non-news. Let's wait for the appeals to start. There is a reason
after all, why there's a majority of republicans in the highest court.

JAB

Feb 17, 2024, 8:05:07 AMFeb 17
On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 12:19:09 +0100, D <nos...@example.net> wrote:

>There is a reason after all, why there's a
>majority of republicans in the highest court.

I believe this case is NY's business only.

All state based cases can't be accepted by SCOTUS
=====================

Writs of Certiorari

Parties who are not satisfied with the decision of a lower court must
petition the U.S. Supreme Court to hear their case. The primary means
to petition the court for review is to ask it to grant a writ of
certiorari. This is a request that the Supreme Court order a lower
court to send up the record of the case for review. The Court usually
is not under any obligation to hear these cases, and it usually only
does so if the case could have national significance, might harmonize
conflicting decisions in the federal Circuit courts, and/or could have
precedential value. In fact, the Court accepts 100-150 of the more
than 7,000 cases that it is asked to review each year. Typically, the
Court hears cases that have been decided in either an appropriate U.S.
Court of Appeals or the highest Court in a given state (if the state
court decided a Constitutional issue).

The Supreme Court has its own set of rules. According to these rules,
four of the nine Justices must vote to accept a case. Five of the nine
Justices must vote in order to grant a stay, e.g., a stay of execution
in a death penalty case. Under certain instances, one Justice may
grant a stay pending review by the entire Court.

https://www.uscourts.gov/about-federal-courts/educational-resources/about-educational-outreach/activity-resources/supreme-1

JAB

Feb 17, 2024, 8:56:16 AMFeb 17
Trump's crushing fraud trial defeat is a microcosm of a life defined
by breaking all the rules

Donald Trump's way of doing business is a window into his soul.

So his devastating loss Friday in a New York fraud case that threatens
the empire on which he built his art of the deal mythology
encapsulates more than a legal defeat.

It offers a character study of the behavior, beliefs and worldview
that define the DNA of an irrepressible figure and unchained force who
is again tearing at American unity, institutions, democracy and the
rule of law as another contentious election looms.

A trial, which Trump tainted with histrionics and contempt for the
judicial system, and Judge Arthur Engoron's final, stinging judgment,
revealed four foundational codes that explain Trump's tumultuous path
through a life that he simply sees as an endless stream of business
and political deals he must close.

Trump thinks rules are for other people. He will always break them
in seeking more wealth, more attention, or more votes.

If reality doesn't get the ex-president what he wants, he conjures
a new one.

Trump is compelled always to fight -- even when stepping back
would be smarter.

And when accountability finally arrives, he sees justice as an act
of persecution by his enemies.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/17/politics/trump-fraud-trial-defeat-breaking-rules/index.html

Feb 17, 2024, 12:21:24 PMFeb 17

On Sat, 17 Feb 2024, JAB wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 12:19:09 +0100, D <nos...@example.net> wrote:
>
>> There is a reason after all, why there's a
>> majority of republicans in the highest court.
>
> I believe this case is NY's business only.

Let's wait and see.

JAB

Feb 17, 2024, 1:16:17 PMFeb 17
On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 18:21:18 +0100, D <nos...@example.net> wrote:

>Let's wait and see.

On another note, someone put up a GoFundMe page for Trump

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GGgH1GubQAARTC7.jpg

but GoFundMe took it down

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GGiwoIjWMAAKJyA.jpg

PS:
"542 ppl have donated so far.
Totalling $23,488!
ONLY $353,976,512 to go"

JAB

Feb 21, 2024, 7:33:23 PMFeb 21
New York AG Letitia James says she's ready to seize Trump's assets if
he can't pay the $354 million fine imposed on him and his companies in
the state's civil fraud case.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1760351396900032722