Police crowd-control team resigns after officer indicted

1 view

JAB

Jun 19, 2021, 9:19:12 PM6/19/21
Portland riots: Police crowd-control team resigns after officer
indicted

Every member of a police crowd-control unit in the US city of Portland
has resigned after one of its officers was indicted on an assault
charge.

The charge stemmed from violent anti-racism protests that rocked the
city, in the state of Oregon, last year.

Prosecutors allege the officer used "excessive and unlawful use of
force" against a protester in August 2020.

But Portland's police union described the decision to prosecute the
officer as "politically driven".

<https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57532258>

Michael Trew

Jun 19, 2021, 11:33:03 PM6/19/21
Well, when you batter them enough, they won't be interested in taking on
that responsibility just to get based. I read that the team was totally
volunteer driven by regular police members, and they took on extra work
willingly. Disrespect them, punish them, and why would they continue to
put in the extra work to get spit on?

JAB

Jun 20, 2021, 6:35:22 AM6/20/21
On Sat, 19 Jun 2021 23:33:06 -0400, Michael Trew <mt99...@ymail.com>
wrote:

>why would they continue to
>put in the extra work to get spit on?

Rules of engagement are well known...no excuses when exceeded.

Can't say what happened in Portland, but advancement tends to be based
upon a person's "actions."

LEOs are paid very good these days...not true in Frank Serpico's days.

Frank Serpico - is best known for whistleblowing on police corruption
in the late 1960s and early 1970s, an act that prompted Mayor John V.
Lindsay to appoint the landmark Knapp Commission to investigate the
department............Serpico knocked on the door, keeping his hand on
his revolver. The door opened a few inches, just far enough to wedge
his body in. Serpico called for help, but his fellow officers ignored
him

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Serpico>

Michael Trew

Jun 20, 2021, 2:45:15 PM6/20/21
Salary depends on the Locality. I'm sure pay rates are better in an
area such as Portland. Now in little East Liverpool, OH, base rate is
$17 and some odd cents per hour. It is only $10 and some cents hourly
if such-and-so certification isn't completed (I can't remember which
certification - I'm recalling memory from a local news article a couple
months ago).

JAB

Jun 20, 2021, 3:54:13 PM6/20/21
On Sun, 20 Jun 2021 14:45:14 -0400, Michael Trew <mt99...@ymail.com>
wrote:

>Now in little East Liverpool, OH, base rate is
>$17

Plus, those benefits (dental, health, retirement).... Hourly pay may
be related to local cost of living...cost of housing, etc.

"For state and government workers, the average cost for employers
paying employee benefits equals $19.82 per hour, "
<https://www.zenefits.com/workest/the-true-cost-of-employee-benefits-packages/>

Some $37.00/hour....all depends upon benefit package.

For a high school graduate, who might take a few college hours, that's
a darn good wage in a small community.

Michael Trew

Jun 20, 2021, 8:29:37 PM6/20/21
Those are fair points, cost of living is very low here compared to
nationally. That's my favorite part about where I live. In a small
town, being a cop wouldn't be so bad... I couldn't imagine it ever being
worth the pay in a big city.

JAB

Jun 20, 2021, 9:23:44 PM6/20/21
On Sun, 20 Jun 2021 20:29:36 -0400, Michael Trew <mt99...@ymail.com>
wrote:

>Those are fair points,

In the private sector, especially for smaller companies, very common
for employee to pay the lion's share of health benefit cost.

At one implement dealer, for instance, employee was paying about
$1,000.00/month for him and his two boys.

I know of one person previously employed by the local school system
who moved to another city to make less pay per hour, but actually he
was making more money because that city paid about all of the health
insurance.

I know of a county that pays their trash haulers about $17.00/hr...but
no health benefits.

Michael Trew

Jun 21, 2021, 12:44:11 AM6/21/21
On 6/20/2021 9:23 PM, JAB wrote:
> I know of a county that pays their trash haulers about $17.00/hr...but
> no health benefits.

Hmm... I thought most all civil service/government jobs included health
benefits. I guess that's an easy way to save costs, but unfortunate for
the worker.

Eli the Bearded

Jun 21, 2021, 2:42:23 PM6/21/21
In misc.news.internet.discuss, JAB <he...@is.invalid> wrote:
> Michael Trew <mt99...@ymail.com> wrote:
>> why would they continue to put in the extra work to get spit on?
> Rules of engagement are well known...no excuses when exceeded.
> Can't say what happened in Portland, but advancement tends to be based
> upon a person's "actions."
>
> LEOs are paid very good these days...not true in Frank Serpico's days.

Serpico[*] was NYPD. Currently in NYPD you can "retire" on a full
pension after twenty years, and I believe retirement benefits are based
on last year's salary including overtime. It would not surprise me if
other places had similar rules.

So that's two things at play: racing to get advancement to lock in
higher base pay and finally padding out last year to lock in higher
retirement pay.

I put the quotes on "retire" because there's nothing stopping the ex-cop
from getting another job, sometimes even still in law enforcement.

> Frank Serpico - is best known for whistleblowing on police corruption
> in the late 1960s and early 1970s [...]
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Serpico>

Coincidentally, I just watched the _Serpico_ film about two weeks ago.
Al Pacino seems to dress completely differently in every scene. I bet he
had fun with the costume department.

Elijah
------
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/serpico

JAB

Jun 21, 2021, 4:30:42 PM6/21/21
On Mon, 21 Jun 2021 18:42:22 -0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded
<*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:

>So that's two things at play: racing to get advancement to lock in
>higher base pay and finally padding out last year to lock in higher
>retirement pay.

"Retired" California LEOs/Firefighters living in Florida drive around
in Corvettes/etc.