'tip creep'

JAB

Jun 8, 2023, 9:59:33 PM6/8/23
Americans push back against 'tip creep' -- 'It's time to take a
stand,' expert says

There are more opportunities to tip for a wider range of services
than ever before.

Between the high cost of living and uncertain economy,
cash-strapped consumers are starting to tip less.

Two-thirds of Americans have a negative view about tipping,
according to Bankrate, particularly when it comes to contactless and
digital payment prompts with pre-determined options.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/08/americans-have-tip-fatigue-resent-tip-creep.html

Retrograde

Jun 9, 2023, 9:08:04 AM6/9/23
On Thu, 08 Jun 2023 20:59:36 -0500
JAB <he...@is.invalid> wrote:

> Americans push back against 'tip creep' -- 'It's time to take a
> stand,' expert says

This is a two-sided problem. I am 100% in favor of not being asked to
tip a person who has done nothing. But the American workplace law that
decided it's OK to pay a non-living wage to restaurant staff "because
they earn tips" is equally to blame.

Are Americans ready to fight for adequate salaries for restaurant staff?

(On the other hand, being asked to tip people in other, non
customer-service situations is bullshit and needs to stop. If all you
did was take an item from a shelf and hand it to me, I'm not tipping.
I also don't want to pre-tip. I want to offer a gratuity in exchange
for your customer service after I've experienced the service.)

For an economy that's supposedly fully focused on business, America
sure is chock-full of horse shit.

Michael Trew

Jun 9, 2023, 12:29:31 PM6/9/23
On 6/8/2023 21:59, JAB wrote:
> Americans push back against 'tip creep' -- 'It's time to take a
> stand,' expert says
>
> There are more opportunities to tip for a wider range of services
> than ever before.

Other than traditional times to "tip", such as the waitress, I refuse to
give into the current "tipping culture". I won't be shamed into it,
either. I blow off tip jars, and other tasteless ways to beg for money.
I sure won't be tipping for take-out food, either.