Russia's misinformation machine

1 view

JAB

Sep 24, 2021, 12:16:56 PM9/24/21
How a Little-Known Scholar of Extremism Became a Social Media
Sensation

An interview with Dr. Caroline Orr Bueno, a world-famous researcher
(and target) of Russia's misinformation machine.

If you followed the Russian hacking campaign against Hillary Clinton,
or if you're on Twitter, you've likely heard of Dr. Caroline Orr
Bueno. A behavioral scientist who researches social media
manipulation, online information warfare, and far-right extremism, Orr
Bueno may seem an unlikely candidate to gain a massive public
following, but that is exactly what happened after she connected the
dots between Roger Stone and Wikileaks in the lead-up to the 2016
election. It also didn't hurt that Stone went off the deep end and
publicly called her a "stupid stupid bitch."

Orr Bueno and I have gotten to know each other over the past few
years, partly because former President Donald Trump blocked both of us
on Twitter, and because we've both been incessantly abused online by
his supporters. While watching her rise, I wondered what it was like
for her to go from being a little-known scholar to someone
internationally recognized for her insights on massive political
scandals. We spoke recently about how she has dealt with becoming a
major social media presence--as well as a target of the very Russian
hackers and disinformation campaigns she has spent her career writing
about.

https://washingtonmonthly.com/2021/09/24/how-a-little-known-scholar-of-extremism-became-a-social-media-sensation/