24-car pileup

1 view

Retrograde

Jun 6, 2023, 11:08:06 PM6/6/23
https://www.wral.com/story/i-795-reopens-hours-after-24-car-crash-shut-down-the-road-in-both-directions/20898216/

Wayne County authorities said they did not receive word of any serious
injuries to the drivers involved. Wilson County Community Preparedness
Coordinator Rodney Dancy said at least 12 people with minor injuries
were taken to the hospital.

Footage shows more than a dozen vehicles are involved in the crash, and
authorities confirmed 24 vehicles were involved in the crash.

One of the vehicles involved was a tractor trailer carrying propane,
but authorities said the tanker was empty at the time of the crash and
posed no threat.

Multiple drivers at the scene confirmed to WRAL News that a fire in a
nearby wheat field caused the crash, adding the fire made visibility
"essentially zero" for drivers on the interstate.

--
Retrograde <fun...@amongus.com.invalid>

JAB

Jun 7, 2023, 7:12:58 AM6/7/23
On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 22:38:16 -0400, Retrograde <fun...@amongus.com>
wrote:

>Multiple drivers at the scene confirmed to WRAL News that a fire in a
>nearby wheat field caused the crash, adding the fire made visibility
>"essentially zero" for drivers on the interstate.

> made visibility "essentially zero"

There's the rub...at what speed does one proceed....usually what
happens is someone slows down too much, and then the "gangbang"
happens.

Retrograde

Jun 7, 2023, 12:08:14 PM6/7/23
Yeah, I was thinking the same. What kind of driving do you have to be
doing in low visibility to land in a 24 car pile-up? Pretty bad form.

In my opinion everyone drives like they're playing Mario Kart these
days, aggressive and fast, and somewhat unsafely.

(Obligatory George Carlin: "everyone going slower than you is a moron;
everyone driving faster than you is an idiot. How can we get anywhere
on the roads when we're surrounded by morons and idiots the whole way?")

JAB

Jun 7, 2023, 12:36:06 PM6/7/23
On Wed, 7 Jun 2023 11:43:24 -0400, Retrograde <fun...@amongus.com>
wrote:

>In my opinion everyone drives like they're playing Mario Kart these
>days, aggressive and fast, and somewhat unsafely.

When doing long distance trips, driving at speed limit(s) does make a
time difference. But on trips less than say 10 miles, people should
evaluate the time saved at higher speeds vs the safety factor or fuel
saved.

I don't think Driver's Ed teaches common sense....is it worth it to
drive like a bat out of hell if one minute is saved?

In neighborhood locations, I generally knock off about 5 to 10mph,
just in case a kid/dog/etc charges outward from a parked vehicle.

Michael Trew

Jun 9, 2023, 12:17:01 PM6/9/23
On 6/7/2023 11:43, Retrograde wrote:

> Yeah, I was thinking the same. What kind of driving do you have to be
> doing in low visibility to land in a 24 car pile-up? Pretty bad form.
>
> In my opinion everyone drives like they're playing Mario Kart these
> days, aggressive and fast, and somewhat unsafely.

I agree... the way most new cars are built, it enables this. I drive
old clunky cars, and I maintain a slower speed, but I typically maintain
the speed limit. I can't tell you how often big pickup trucks and SUV's
will tail me or blow around me on the interstate, sans turn signals,
going well over 20+ MPH beyond the speed limit posted.

Older cars with manual brakes, steering, and transmissions don't allow
this type of driving. Newer cars stop and turn on a dime. I drove my
mother's 2020 Nissan Murano, and it feels like you're going 55 when
you're going 80. There's almost no road feel, it's like your in a
virtual reality box, compared to the connection you feel when driving a
30+ year old beater car.