Times Square, 1911:

JAB

Jan 12, 2022, 9:13:48 PM1/12/22

Michael Trew

Jan 13, 2022, 2:10:22 PM1/13/22
On 1/12/2022 21:13, JAB wrote:
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FI7qoC-XsAQDaRj?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Presumably not long before new years?

Eli the Bearded

Jan 13, 2022, 5:47:18 PM1/13/22
_The Red Widow_ played at the Astor from Nov 06, 1911 to Feb 24, 1912.

https://www.ibdb.com/broadway-production/the-red-widow-7383

NYT review calls it "entertaining" with a "nihilistic" plot.

https://www.nytimes.com/1911/11/07/archives/the-red-widow-is-entertaining-raymond-hitchcock-appears-at-astor-in.html

I also found a plot summary of the movie version:

https://www.allmovie.com/movie/v107497

Better known in 1916 for light comedy rather than heavy drama, John
Barrymore effortlessly breezed through the four reels of Famous
Players' The Red Widow. Even Barrymore's character name -- Cicero
Hannibal Butts -- was conceived to induce loud laughter. While
embarking on his honeymoon, Butts receives all sorts of portents of
bad luck, beginning with an upside-down horseshoe. He'd been warned
not to marry a widow, and now Butts seems to be paying dearly for
his marital misstep. But after several slapsticky situations -- not
the least of which involves a gang of Russian Nihilists -- our hero
is at last able to settle down for some well-deserved connubial
bliss. The Red Widow was based on a stage play by Channing Pollock
and Rennold Wolf.

Elijah
------
just as interested in the old entertainment as the photo