UNSEEN How to avoid microplastics in your food

Michael Trew

Jun 24, 2021, 11:13:35 PM6/24/21
"Microplastics are fragments of any type of plastic[1] less than 5 mm
(0.20 in) in length, according to the U.S. National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)[2][3] and the European Chemicals
Agency.[4] They enter natural ecosystems from a variety of sources,
including cosmetics, clothing, and industrial processes." ... read more
on Wikipedia.

Apparently, we breathe and eat plastic each day. Microplastics have
been found in studies on the most remote islands (furthest away from
Human habitation) on Earth (even under rocks). It's kind of terrifying
when you think of it.

12 min video: Food lover Nazrudin Rahman is shocked to hear that
microplastics are in our food, water and air. Here’s how the cooking
show host discovers how to enjoy his food again – and keep his family
healthy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acMYHAmNLlE

The video mentioned microplastics possibly leaching from the piping
system... I frequently wonder about what the future effects of people
using PEX and plastic plumbing in their house for water supply... how
will this harm our health in the future? As for me, I'll keep sweating
copper pipes in my house.

AnonymousCoward

Jun 25, 2021, 5:07:15 AM6/25/21

> 12 min video: Food lover Nazrudin Rahman is shocked to hear that
> microplastics are in our food, water and air. Here’s how the cooking
> show host discovers how to enjoy his food again – and keep his family
> healthy:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acMYHAmNLlE

Thanks! It was a nice video.

> The video mentioned microplastics possibly leaching from the piping
> system... I frequently wonder about what the future effects of people
> using PEX and plastic plumbing in their house for water supply... how
> will this harm our health in the future? As for me, I'll keep sweating
> copper pipes in my house.

I also got concerned about that after watching it. I didn't know that
plastic recipients can leak microplastics....

JAB

Jun 25, 2021, 8:20:35 AM6/25/21
On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 23:13:38 -0400, Michael Trew <mt99...@ymail.com>
wrote:

>As for me, I'll keep sweating
>copper pipes in my house.

People still drink city water?

Michael Trew

Jun 25, 2021, 11:06:23 PM6/25/21
On 6/25/2021 5:07 AM, AnonymousCoward wrote:
> I also got concerned about that after watching it. I didn't know that
> plastic recipients can leak microplastics....

I'm sure time will tell the dangers, if significant, and how much is
leaked. I've known about plastic water bottles for some time. I only
use glasses in my house, and try to avoid plastic as much as I can.

Michael Trew

Jun 25, 2021, 11:08:03 PM6/25/21
My older neighbor does... several people that I know do. I have a cheap
tap water filter attached to my kitchen sink. It doesn't filter nearly
as much as those super slow brita filters, but it takes out some of the
chlorine taste/smell.

Don't forget, most still use it for teeth brushing, cooking, etc.