Victorian bathroom

JAB

Sep 21, 2021, 11:57:40 AM9/21/21

Eli the Bearded

Sep 21, 2021, 4:56:17 PM9/21/21
In misc.news.internet.discuss, JAB <he...@is.invalid> wrote:
> PIC:
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_zSCvQUYAsufKJ?format=jpg&name=900x900

More about that image:

A bit out the history of tubs and that picture as an example:

https://www.clawfootbathtubwarehouse.com/ClawfootBathtubHistory-clawfootbathtubsanmarcostexas.htm

And Alamy gives the catalog and year that it was published.

https://www.alamy.com/bath-room-interior-by-the-jl-mott-iron-works-jl-mott-iron-works-publisher-catalogue-g-illustrating-the-plumbing-and-sanitary-department-image235896645.html

Elijah
-----
still not sure if that's a bidet or not near the tub

JAB

Sep 21, 2021, 7:55:51 PM9/21/21
On Tue, 21 Sep 2021 20:56:16 -0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded
<*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:

>still not sure if that's a bidet or not near the tub

First cite below didn't do their historical homework...second cite
notes "first bidets appeared in everyday life among the ancient
Romans."

The Bidet’s Revival

The bidet was born in France in the 1600s as a washing basin for your
private parts.
<https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/03/the-bidets-revival/555770/>

The History of Bidet: Is It Necessary Attribute or a Gimmick?
https://www.smalldesignideas.com/the-history-of-bidet-is-it-necessary-attribute-or-a-gimmick.html

Michael Trew

Sep 22, 2021, 11:04:09 PM9/22/21
On 9/21/2021 11:57 AM, JAB wrote:
> PIC:
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_zSCvQUYAsufKJ?format=jpg&name=900x900

That would have been a very high-end, rich person's bathroom. Most
commoners and working class did not have indoor plumbing then.. those
who did had much more meager accommodations.

My house was built in 1900, and it was an upper middle class home. It
has a fair sized bathroom.. French style; the toilet is in it's own
room, a "water closet". The room is a semi-L shaped hallway, with it's
own window, and a small 24" wide door to enter. The tub and sink, as
well as two sizable closets, are in the bathroom right next door.

I have been in a house in town, that was a blue-collar working class
home in a less nice neighborhood, also built in 1900. It had a central
fireplace, with a vent in the ceiling through the upstairs floor for
heat to rise. It did not originally have a bathroom. Part of an
upstairs bedroom was walled off in the 30's to make an indoor bathroom.
Central heat was retrofitted in some time in this era.

Michael Trew

Sep 22, 2021, 11:16:18 PM9/22/21
It is called at "sitz tub". It is like a bidet, but not really... it
was a popular bathroom appliance at the turn of the last century in
upper-class homes, primarily for female hygiene I believe.

https://www.oldhouseonline.com/kitchens-and-baths-articles/designing-victorian-bath/

JAB

Sep 23, 2021, 12:51:39 PM9/23/21
On Wed, 22 Sep 2021 23:04:11 -0400, Michael Trew
<michae...@att.net> wrote:

>indoor plumbing

Until the 1840s, indoor plumbing only existed in rich people's homes.
However, in 1829, Isaiah Rogers built eight water closets in the
Tremont Hotel of Boston, which made it the first hotel to have indoor
plumbing. In 1833, The White House became equipped with running water
on the main floor.

https://www.m5plumbing.com/blog/when-was-indoor-plumbing-invented/

On my family's homestead farm, they had an outdoor shower; well water
was pumped up into a small water tower. Most likely, they had water
for kitchen.

I don't know what kit homes were designed for then...with or without
plumbing.

I was in Mexico around 1975, and one hotel had a hot water tank that
used the sun to heat it...if you didn't take a shower early, you got
cold water.

Eli the Bearded

Sep 23, 2021, 2:10:26 PM9/23/21
In misc.news.internet.discuss, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:
> It is called at "sitz tub". It is like a bidet, but not really... it
> was a popular bathroom appliance at the turn of the last century in
> upper-class homes, primarily for female hygiene I believe.

Ding-ding-ding. That must be it. Thanks. I read that they were for
soaking the area, rather than the bidet quick wash.

Elijah
------
those whacky Victorians

Michael Trew

Sep 24, 2021, 7:12:53 PM9/24/21
Yep, no problem.

I guess they didn't catch on in later wealthy homes. I'm not so sure
that I see an immediate need for one, but it would be neat to have one
as a "conversation piece" in an actual period bathroom (which would be
exceedingly rare over 120 years later).