LBJ's restored private bathroom

JAB

Sep 21, 2021, 4:12:59 PM9/21/21

Retrograde

Sep 22, 2021, 8:39:51 AM9/22/21
Well, that's interesting. Looks like your typical 1950s-1960s suburban
American bathroom. I had a smaller version of something like this in the
house I lived in back then. 'Course, I didn't have a phone by the toilet.
Imagine talking to the President about some emergency, knowing full well
he's probably pinching a loaf as he responds to you.

Wonder what that strange mirror is for at ceiling level (top right, by the
fan). Wonder what magazines are in that rack - Boys Life, Popular
Mechanics, etc.

JAB

Sep 22, 2021, 11:32:53 AM9/22/21
On Wed, 22 Sep 2021 12:39:51 -0000 (UTC), Retrograde
<fun...@amongus.com.invalid> wrote:

>Wonder what that strange mirror is for at
>ceiling level (top right, by the fan).

See back side via looking at main mirror.

>Imagine talking to the President about some emergency, knowing
>full well he's probably pinching a loaf as he responds to you.

His Toilet

Johnson lived to dominate, and he used crass behavior to bend people
to his will. At 6-ft., 3-in. tall and 210 lbs., he liked to lean over
people, spitting, swearing, belching, or laughing in their faces.
Once, he even relieved himself on a Secret Serviceman who was
shielding him from public view. When the man looked horrified, Johnson
simply said, "That's all right, son. It's my prerogative."? His
favorite power ploy, however, seemed to be dragging people into the
bathroom with him--forcing them to continue their conversations with
the president as he used the toilet.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/18463/lbj-president-who-marked-his-territory

Retrograde

Sep 22, 2021, 11:43:52 AM9/22/21
Hard to feel like you've got the upper hand when you are laying coil, ha ha.

That SS story is horrific. Didn't know any of this stuff.

Michael Trew

Sep 22, 2021, 11:26:05 PM9/22/21
On 9/22/2021 11:32 AM, JAB wrote:
> Johnson lived to dominate, and he used crass behavior to bend people
> to his will. At 6-ft., 3-in. tall and 210 lbs., he liked to lean over
> people, spitting, swearing, belching, or laughing in their faces.
> Once, he even relieved himself on a Secret Serviceman who was
> shielding him from public view. When the man looked horrified, Johnson
> simply said, "That's all right, son. It's my prerogative."? His
> favorite power ploy, however, seemed to be dragging people into the
> bathroom with him--forcing them to continue their conversations with
> the president as he used the toilet.
>
> https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/18463/lbj-president-who-marked-his-territory

Yikes, how terrible. I already didn't like him for his excessive social
programs (lets not get into that debate again), but..

>Lyndon Baines Johnson wanted to be remembered as the greatest
>president who ever lived. With that grand ambition in mind (and an ego
>to match), he launched such sweeping social programs as Medicare,
>Medicaid, Head Start, public radio, public television, and food
>stamps. Regardless, Johnson will probably be best remembered for his
>blinding arrogance, and what many would point to as the result of
>it—the Vietnam War.

Yuck.

JAB

Sep 23, 2021, 5:45:53 AM9/23/21
On Wed, 22 Sep 2021 23:26:08 -0400, Michael Trew
<michae...@att.net> wrote:

>I already didn't like him for his excessive social
>programs (lets not get into that debate again),

His previous experiences were related...analogous to Christians
spreading their beliefs.

>Medicare, Medicaid, Head Start,
>public radio, public television, and food stamps

All good ideas.....