incredible new scans of the wrecked Titanic

Retrograde

May 17, 2023, 9:10:22 AM5/17/23
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-65602182

The world's most famous shipwreck has been revealed as never seen
before.

The first full-sized digital scan of the Titanic, which lies 3,800m
(12,500ft) down in the Atlantic, has been created using deep-sea
mapping.

It provides a unique 3D view of the entire ship, enabling it to be seen
as if the water has been drained away.

--
Retrograde <fun...@amongus.com.invalid>

Michael Trew

Jun 3, 2023, 6:20:48 PM6/3/23
On 5/17/2023 8:40, Retrograde wrote:
> https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-65602182
>
> The world's most famous shipwreck has been revealed as never seen
> before.
>
> The first full-sized digital scan of the Titanic, which lies 3,800m
> (12,500ft) down in the Atlantic, has been created using deep-sea
> mapping.
>
> It provides a unique 3D view of the entire ship, enabling it to be seen
> as if the water has been drained away.

That's pretty darn cool.

I had to chuckle when they read something along the lines of: "Time is
ticking away before the ship fully disintegrates"... Umm, I doubt
that'll happen for another 100+ years. It's been over a century, for
goodness sake, it's not degrading that quickly.

Kerr-Mudd, John

Jun 4, 2023, 5:15:36 AM6/4/23
Does it show the original rivets for 'Olympic'? </Conspiracy>

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Retrograde

Jun 4, 2023, 9:08:06 AM6/4/23
On Sun, 4 Jun 2023 10:15:35 +0100
"Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> Does it show the original rivets for 'Olympic'? </Conspiracy>

I had to look that one up. Had never heard the conspiracy theory.

https://apnews.com/article/fact-check-titanic-olympic-ship-switch-086691748061

Lard Cheesus people make up some crazy shit. There was a good study or
article about why people believe these crazy theories - pretty sure the
context was QAnon - and part of the answer is the dopamine thrill of
believing you are one of very few who understand the little-known
truth, never mind if the little-known "truth" is utter hogwash (again,
QAnon).

Unfortunately, photoshop and now generative AI are going to make it
hard for us to believe anything we see, in video or still image format,
on the internet anymore. And the theories are going to propagate to
where if we don't have an individual in our limited circle who
saw/experienced something firsthand, we won't believe it. In fact, the
internet will not be a reliable source of anything. (Maybe it never
was).

Interesting times.

Michael Trew

Jun 4, 2023, 6:36:04 PM6/4/23
On 6/4/2023 9:07, Retrograde wrote:

> Lard Cheesus people make up some crazy shit. There was a good study or
> article about why people believe these crazy theories - pretty sure the
> context was QAnon - and part of the answer is the dopamine thrill of
> believing you are one of very few who understand the little-known
> truth, never mind if the little-known "truth" is utter hogwash (again,
> QAnon).

It's amazing what people will believe. My near 70 year old neighbor
across the alley is turning into a Qanon type fanatic. I can't even
remember some of the crazy conspiracies that he's blurted out, but some
of them are real whoppers. At first, I thought he was joking, but I've
come to realize that he's serious. A recent one he told me was trying
to convince me that the government is making clouds in the sky, and most
of them aren't real. Some of what he babbles about is "Jewish
space-laser" type garbage. It's difficult to keep a straight face.

> Unfortunately, photoshop and now generative AI are going to make it
> hard for us to believe anything we see, in video or still image format,
> on the internet anymore. And the theories are going to propagate to
> where if we don't have an individual in our limited circle who
> saw/experienced something firsthand, we won't believe it. In fact, the
> internet will not be a reliable source of anything. (Maybe it never
> was).

Agreed on all accounts.

Retrograde

Jun 4, 2023, 10:08:10 PM6/4/23
On Sun, 04 Jun 2023 18:36:02 -0400
Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:

> It's amazing what people will believe. My near 70 year old neighbor
> across the alley is turning into a Qanon type fanatic. I can't even
> remember some of the crazy conspiracies that he's blurted out, but some
> of them are real whoppers. At first, I thought he was joking, but I've
> come to realize that he's serious. A recent one he told me was trying
> to convince me that the government is making clouds in the sky, and most
> of them aren't real. Some of what he babbles about is "Jewish
> space-laser" type garbage. It's difficult to keep a straight face.

Of course, that guy gets to vote as many times as you do, and his vote
counts equal to yours. Yay, democracy. (I'm not advocating another
system, just pointing out an obvious weakness).

JAB

Jun 7, 2023, 9:35:42 PM6/7/23
Diver finds long-lost World War II submarine after 25 years of
searching: "The hardest mission I have ever undertaken"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/diver-finds-hms-triumph-world-war-ii-submarine-vanished-1942/

Retrograde

Jun 8, 2023, 1:08:05 PM6/8/23
On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 20:35:42 -0500
JAB <he...@is.invalid> wrote:

> Diver finds long-lost World War II submarine after 25 years of
> searching: "The hardest mission I have ever undertaken"

Very cool stuff.

Kostas Thoctarides told state news agency ANA his team had located the
wreck of HMS Triumph at a depth of 670 feet at an undisclosed location
in the Aegean Sea.

The 84-meter T-class submarine was launched in 1938 and carried out
twenty missions, including attacks against Axis ships, landing British
commandos and rescuing Allied soldiers.

Thoctarides -- who in 1997 located the hulk of HMS Perseus, a British
submarine that sank in 1941 -- said the Triumph was last sighted by an
Italian pilot near Cape Sounion near Athens.

It was officially declared missing with 64 people on board in January
1942.

Thoctarides told ANA that the submarine's periscopes and hatches were
down, indicating that it was in a deep dive during its final moments.
--
Retrograde <fun...@amongus.com.invalid>

JAB

Jun 12, 2023, 10:34:49 PM6/12/23

JAB

Jun 28, 2023, 9:23:02 PM6/28/23
On Thu, 8 Jun 2023 12:29:37 -0400, Retrograde <fun...@amongus.com>
wrote:

>> Diver finds long-lost World War II submarine after 25 years of
>> searching: "The hardest mission I have ever undertaken"
>
>Very cool stuff.

The control room of a German submarine (UB-110) during World War 1 in
1918 is depicted in these photos. The submarine was recovered from the
bottom of the ocean. The gears and wheels in the control room were
color coded, and some even had numbers to assist sailors in
maneuvering them.

At the beginning of World War 1, German U-boats initially followed
naval warfare procedures by warning and allowing merchant ships to
evacuate before capturing them. However, the Allies noticed this
tactic and started arming merchant vessels. When a U-boat surfaced and
demanded surrender, the crew on board the merchant ship would launch a
surprise attack against the exposed U-boat.

In response, the Germans began sinking merchant vessels without
warning as a form of retaliation. This practice continued until as
late as 1942 when U-boats would still provide torpedoed survivors with
food, water, and directions to the nearest landmass.

However, this changed when a U-boat towing lifeboats and flying the
Red Cross flag was attacked by a U.S. bomber. To avoid being
destroyed, the U-boat was forced to abandon the survivors and dive.

As a result, for the rest of the war, the Germans were prohibited from
operating under prize rules, and unrestricted submarine warfare became
the norm.

https://twitter.com/wars/status/1674221502022004740