prosecution of librarians

JAB

Feb 20, 2024, 8:51:16 AMFeb 20
West Virginia House passes bill allowing prosecution of librarians

The West Virginia House of Delegates debated the merits of removing
protections for public librarians and school librarians from criminal
prosecution in the off chance a minor encounters books and content
some consider to be obscene.

The House passed House Bill 4654 - removing bona fide schools, public
libraries, and museums from the list of exemptions from criminal
liability relating to distribution and display to a minor of obscene
matter - in a 85-12 vote Friday, sending the bill to the state Senate.

HB 4654 would lift criminal liability exemptions from schools in the
presentation of local or state-approved curriculum, and public
libraries and museums displaying obscene matter to a minor when the
child is not accompanied by a parent/guardian.
Supporters of the bill said it does not ban books or stop the selling
or distribution of books some consider to be controversial or obscene.
It merely provides the same prohibition against knowingly providing
obscene materials to children outside the supervision of parents and
guardians that already exist.

"This bill is giving our students and children in the community the
same protection that they receive from GoGuardian and the FCC," said
Del. Jeff Stephens, R-Marshall, a school teacher referring to a
computer program that blocks students from accessing pornography
online at school.

"This bill does not ban books or censor speech. These books can still
be bought privately by people if they're adults. We're not saying they
need to be taken off of the market," said Del. Elliott Pritt,
R-Fayette, who is also a teacher. "What this bill does do is stop
obscene and pornographic material, sexually explicit materials from
being available to children in public taxpayer-funded spaces."

https://www.newsandsentinel.com/news/local-news/2024/02/west-virginia-house-passes-bill-allowing-prosecution-of-librarians/

>sexually explicit materials

So sex education materials are banned, I must assume. And maybe
biological materials showing private parts too.

And then there are materials with sexy statues that will have to be
banned. Back in late 1940s/early-1950s, I recall importing a sexy
statue was a federal law violation.

But, these West Virginians support Trump...immoral people.

Feb 20, 2024, 9:37:10 AMFeb 20
I disagree with this! I also think there is at least one Trump supporter
who also disagrees.