Gore Invented the Internet

1 view

Dave Krieps

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00
For what it's worth, take a look at this URL:
http://www.salon.com/tech/col/rose/2000/10/05/gore_internet/index.html

Cheers ! :)

J D

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00
I like this one better. ;^} The Internet's kind of like Al Gore. All you
have to do is change venue and you'll hear another story.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.htm

J D

James...

Oct 10, 2000, 9:05:11 PM10/10/00
"During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in
creating the Internet."

Not only did he not "invent" the Internet, he didn't "create" it either.

He either lied or badly mis-spoke his involvement. In this one particular
instance, despite a continuous pattern of lies, exaggerations, and
intentional mis-statements, I tend to think he mis-spoke. (Even if there is
a pathology involved, even then, there are occasional unintentional
mis-statements)

A non-quote would have be better...

"I'm proud that I probably one of the first Congressmen to recognized the
value of a nationwide network of interconnected computers."

James....
<Who is tired of defending a Al Gore's statement. The guy has told so many
whoppers, this one really doesn't make a dime's worth of difference.>

Quiet Desperation

Oct 10, 2000, 10:57:58 PM10/10/00
In article <8rvo9q.3...@boarnet.tzo.com>, "James..."
<jc...@kc.rr.com> wrote:

> He either lied or badly mis-spoke his involvement.

He knew exactly what he said. He didn't come out and say he invented
anything, but he wanted to inject that meme into the public
consciousness. It backfired very badly.

Manofyunk

Oct 11, 2000, 12:14:35 AM10/11/00
In article <bbo7usg3u5rsejthe...@news.prodigy.net>,
bjon...@acm.org says...
--> As a legislator, he took the initiative for pushing for the funding that created
--> the internet. Is that so hard to understand? In what other way is a legislator
--> involved in the internet? Funding. That's what legislators deal with.
-->
-->

Not unless he was in the government back in the 50's. The internet as
you know it is descended from ARPANET which was started back in the 50's
to deal with the effects of communication after a nuclear attack.

See this site for a history lesson:
http://www.joes.net/arpa/arpa.html

Allan Smith

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
Manofyunk,

Nope, sorry, ARPANet did not "become" the Internet. ARPANet defined the
packet-switching architecture, and an infrastructure, but did not use
TCP/IP, that was first implemented in NSFNet, a publicly finded venture of
the National Science Foundation, which adopted the ARPANet infrastructure,
but with mandatory TCP/IP.\

That enabled the connectivity we enjoy tody, instead of the purpose-specific
protocols of ARPANet, MFENet, HEPNet, SPAN, and CSNet. The first non-purpose
specific Internconnected Network (Inter-Net) was UseNet (directly spawned by
AT&T's UNIX OS), and followed by BitNet. Then came proprietay protocols such
as DEC's DECNet, IBM's SNA, Xerox's XNS. As you can see, everybody was off
doing their own thing, and the various 'Nets' couldn't talk to each other.

It was the publicly fuunded National Science Foundation that standardized on
TCP/IP, enabling the transition to what was to become known as Widespread
Infrastructure. The NSF put 200 Million dollars into the new TCP/IP Internet
betwseen 1986 and 1993. In . In its 8 1/2 year lifetime, the Backbone had
grown from six nodes with 56 kbps links to 21 nodes with multiple 45 Mbps
links. It had seen the Internet grow to over 50,000 networks on all seven
continents and outer space, with approximately 29,000 networks in the United
States. In 1995, NSFNet was privatized, and became self-supporting.

Specific Federal involvement (read on, you'll find how Tennessee Senator Al
Gore discovered the potential of the Internet, and who named it the
Information Superhighway):

Federal agencies shared the cost of common infrastructure, such as
trans-oceanic circuits. They also jointly supported "managed interconnection
points" for interagency traffic; the Federal Internet Exchanges (FIX-E and
FIX-W) built for this purpose served as models for the Network Access Points
and "*IX" facilities that are prominent features of today's Internet
architecture.

To coordinate this sharing, the Federal Networking Council was formed. The
FNC also cooperated with other international organizations, such as RARE in
Europe, through the Coordinating Committee on Intercontinental Research
Networking, CCIRN, to coordinate Internet support of the research community
worldwide.

This sharing and cooperation between agencies on Internet-related issues had
a long history. An unprecedented 1981 agreement between Farber, acting for
CSNET and the NSF, and DARPA's Kahn, permitted CSNET traffic to share
ARPANET infrastructure on a statistical and no-metered-settlements basis.

Subsequently, in a similar mode, the NSF encouraged its regional (initially
academic) networks of the NSFNET to seek commercial, non-academic customers,
expand their facilities to serve them, and exploit the resulting economies
of scale to lower subscription costs for all.

On the NSFNET Backbone - the national-scale segment of the NSFNET - NSF
enforced an "Acceptable Use Policy" (AUP) which prohibited Backbone usage
for purposes "not in support of Research and Education." The predictable
(and intended) result of encouraging commercial network traffic at the local
and regional level, while denying its access to national-scale transport,
was to stimulate the emergence and/or growth of "private", competitive,
long-haul networks such as PSI, UUNET, ANS CO+RE, and (later) others. This
process of privately-financed augmentation for commercial uses was thrashed
out starting in 1988 in a series of NSF-initiated conferences at Harvard's
Kennedy School of Government on "The Commercialization and Privatization of
the Internet" - and on the "com-priv" list on the net itself.

In 1988, a National Research Council committee, chaired by Kleinrock and
with Kahn and Clark as members, produced a report commissioned by NSF titled
"Towards a National Research Network". This report was influential on then
Senator Al Gore, and ushered in high speed networks that laid the networking
foundation for the future information superhighway.

In 1994, a National Research Council report, again chaired by Kleinrock (and
with Kahn and Clark as members again), Entitled "Realizing The Information
Future: The Internet and Beyond" was released. This report, commissioned by
NSF, was the document in which a blueprint for the evolution of the
information superhighway was articulated and which has had a lasting affect
on the way to think about its evolution. It anticipated the critical issues
of intellectual property rights, ethics, pricing, education, architecture
and regulation for the Internet.

NSF's privatization policy culminated in April, 1995, with the defunding of
the NSFNET Backbone. The funds thereby recovered were (competitively)
redistributed to regional networks to buy national-scale Internet
connectivity from the now numerous, private, long-haul networks.

Now, if you really want to know about the Internet's history, check out

http://www.isoc.org/internet-history/brief.html

from which some of the above was extracted.

Allan

"Manofyunk" <Mano...@Email.com> wrote in message

Janice

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
A,

>Gore discovered the potential of the Internet

I''ll bet he wishes he had you as his speech writer <G>. The problem is not
this one "mispeak" the problem is his apparent need to embelish many things he
says. Don't understand why he continues to do that when he knows people will
pick it apart. Perhaps he has another form of compulsion slightly different
than Clintons <G>

Manofyunk

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
Thanks for the info, but I still do not see where "GORE" specifically
did anything that "invented the internet:. What I mean is that the
internet would of been developed along this (or similar) line no matter
what mr. gore had to do with it. And I still believe that the basic
technology that makes the internet what it is, has been developed from
arpanet and that Mr. gore had nothing to do with that creation.

Allan Smith

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
manofyunk,

> Thanks for the info, but I still do not see where "GORE" specifically
> did anything that "invented the internet:.

He didn't claim to. The phrase you used is a popular mis-quote.

> What I mean is that the
> internet would of been developed along this (or similar) line no matter
> what mr. gore had to do with it.

Sure, each commercial enterprise would have continues their own proprietary
architectures. And they were horrifically expensive.

There would have been no uniform public network without dinero, my friend.
And that dinero came from the Politicians.

Remember, the article I quoted was written by the very people who made all
this happen. A core group of about 8 movers and shakers, from the early days
of DARPA all the way through even today.

If they want to mention one Politician as instrumental in supporting funding
the concept of a standard, public, interconneced Network, I'll buy that.

> And I still believe that the basic
> technology that makes the internet what it is, has been developed from
> arpanet and that Mr. gore had nothing to do with that creation.

Not one bit of DARPANet technology was used in NSFNet, until they figured
out how to interconnect them. What was used was the Architecture, and
Infrastructure of concepts evolving around packet switching. That is
conceptual stuff, vaporware, not hardware. All the neworks I discussed used
the same vaporware, implemented with different hardware and protocols, and
thus could not interconnect. There was no 'oneness', no singular "Internet".

The power of the Internet is in its worldwide standardization of
interconnectivity and intercommunication, not in transistors and fibers.
NSFNet accomplished that, no one else. And they accomplised that with US
Taxpayer dollars, which were granted by Politicians lobbied by their fellow
Politicians having the conceptual skills to envision and communicate what
such an enormous creation could accomplish.

Quite simply, the Internet was born in the mind of Visionary Scientists,
nurtured and supported by Visionary Politicians, then privatized and
public-ized to us all. Were it not for both the vision of the Scientists and
the support of the Politicians, there would be no 'single entity' known as
The Internet.

Allan

Manofyunk

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
I concede that the internet would of probably used "proprietary"
technology, but I still disagree that a single politician was the sole
director/controller that caused the differing factions to join into the
system that we use today.

Nick C

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00

Dave Krieps wrote:

> For what it's worth, take a look at this URL:
> http://www.salon.com/tech/col/rose/2000/10/05/gore_internet/index.html
>
> Cheers ! :)

The following was published in yesterday's news paper.

Some recent Gore and Bush flubs.

Gore said in the presidential debate last week that had accompanied
James Lee Witt, the director of the Federal Emergency Management
Agency, on a trip to Texas to inspect fire and flood damage in 1998.
Gore later said he had been to Texas, but had gone neither with Witt
nor to the disaster area.

Gore during the same debate spoke of a 15-year-old girl in Sarasota,
Fla., who was having to stand in her science class because it was so
overcrowded. The principal of the school said the girl went without a
desk for one only one day.

Bush fumbled his arithmetic on taxes at a town-hall style meeting in
New Port Richey, Fla., on Saturday and wound up just spitting out
numbers: 15.3 percent, 12.4 and 2.9.

Bush in the same Florida appearance criticized Gore's health plan
saying, he wants doctors to make every decision on behalf of every
patient. He meant to say, he wants the bureaucrats to ........

Gore told a Teamsters convention in Los Vegas on Sept. 18 that Look
For The Union Label had been one of the lullabies he head as a child,
singing a bit to the delight of his audience. In fact, the jingle
first appeared in 1975 when Gore was 27 years old. He later said he'd
just been joking.

Bush contended that Gore would create over 200,000 new or expanded
federal programs. He had meant to say, 200.

Gore said on Sept. 22, I've been a part of the discussions on the
Strategic (Petroleum) Reserve since the days when it was first
established. In fact, the Reserve was established in 1975; Gore wasn't
elected to congress until 1977.

Gore told senior citizens in Florida last month that his mother-in-law
and his dog take the same arthritis medicine, but her prescription
costs three times as much. His aides later conceded that the figures
he cited came from a congressional study and not from any family
expenditures. An aside note: In another news article, it was disclosed
that Gore's mother-in-law does not take arthritis medication.

Bush has referred to "peacekeepers" variously as "pacemakers" and
"peacecreepers." And he told an audience in Beaverton, Ore., on Sept.
25 that more and more of our imports come from overseas.

Bush told a recent rally, Laura sends you my greetings. And he told a
fund-raiser in Des Moines last month that the nation shouldn't be held
hostile - when he meant to say hostage.

There you have some of it folks. One lies and the other fumbles. One
is good for a laugh while the other is not funny.

Nick

Allan Smith

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
manofyunk,

I don't disagree that one single Politicaian was any director/controller.
Politics doesn't work that way, anyway. But any message needs a messenger,
any cause needs a champion, and political alliance needs a catalyst.

Don't misunderstand my giving credit where it is due. I don't care for the
man, he seems to have a bit of a problem remembering and staying in touch
with reality. It's just that I don't chose to join him in that, either way,
And either way as much includes not denying him his accomplisments as it
includes recognizing his faults.

Allan

"Manofyunk" <Mano...@Email.com> wrote in message

Ray

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
Lets see. Gore never said he "invented the internet". Jokesters did.

Now if you walk into a store with no money unless you steal it you come
out empty handed. So Gore was a "BIG" help in "GETTING" the money from
the "GOVERMENT" that others used to make the net what it is. Now if you
don't get this one I can't do no better. :)

--
Ray & Ginger
Our home page,

James...

Oct 12, 2000, 12:38:36 AM10/12/00
Not exactly. He pushed to allow the privatization (commericalization) of
the Internet, thus allowing the massive expansion from a relatively spartan
government/academic network into the worldwide network it is today. In
effect, the "funding" moved from the public sector to the private sector.

Former Vice President Dan Quayle, once ridiculed for misspelling the word
"potato," said, "If Gore invented the Internet, I invented Spell-Check."

James....

"Barry Jones" <bjon...@acm.org> wrote in message

> On Wed, 11 Oct 2000 01:05:11 GMT, "James..." <jc...@kc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> >"During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in
> >creating the Internet."
> >
> >Not only did he not "invent" the Internet, he didn't "create" it either.
>

> As a legislator, he took the initiative for pushing for the funding that
created

> the internet. Is that so hard to understand? In what other way is a
legislator

Jane

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00
Nick C <n-c...@mediaone.net> a écrit dans le message :
39E4EAB2...@mediaone.net...

> Bush has referred to "peacekeepers" variously as "pacemakers" and
> "peacecreepers." And he told an audience in Beaverton, Ore., on Sept.
> 25 that more and more of our imports come from overseas.

That one is brilliant :-) They're beginning to talk about your elections
over here -- not about the political beliefs or projects, just about the
men. "Junior" (as he was called by the journalist) was shown blundering
his way through interviews and all they said about Gore was that he'd said
he'd consider installing a webcam in the Oval Office which would function 24
hours a day (didn't say whether it would be under the Oval desk though) ;-)

Seriously, whichever side you're on, I do think these guys deserve a little
credit and respect. I mean, you're never alone when you're ruling a
country -- whereas during these debates and interviews you are. How can
they possibly know everything about everything? I can't imagine the
pressure they're under -- facing deliberately-tricky questions asked by
journalists who are obviously out for the blundering scoop rather than
anything else. When any of us talk about what we "think" we know well,
we'll make mistakes. Even a post on a newsgroup (which is re-read and
spell-checked) can include unintended errors. All I can say is "rather them
than me".

Jane <who just loves the "speaking lips" on Conan's Late Night Show>

Allan Smith

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00
Barry,

> Maybe that's the best we can get who will stoop to taking this job

Remember, with the sigle exception of Ronald Reagan, every singe president
elected in a year ending in zero has died in office. And Ronnie got lucky.

Still wonder why Dumb and Dumber are running?

Allan

"Barry Jones" <bjon...@acm.org> wrote in message

Jane

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
Just Judy <jjgo...@OUTOFMYmindspring.com> a écrit dans le message :
pg6eusk16h9mn4nmu...@4ax.com...

> They have to earn it, Jane. And, once earned, it must be
> maintained.

> If they are running for president of the country, they damn
> well better know everything about everything. It's part of their job
> description if they want my vote.

I still believe in Santa, too, Judy :-)

> I'm curious, was the debate televised in France?

Not on French state TV but we've got a satellite dish, so I got snippets via
CNN International.

Jane.

Ray

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
Hi Jane,

I to have a satellite dish. When you get a chance go to satellite
telstar 6 "T6" 93 degrees & try to catch the news feeds. Some other
satellite also have feeds to.

I like them because I see the un edited versions of a broadcast before
editing. I hear some of the peoples remarks off camera that give you a
better insight into the news person or who ever. For example they will
be waiting for the commercial to be over & talk among theirself & the
show host will tell them now were getting ready to go back on so here is
the game plan bla bla bla. The host just put in the fix for what others
see on the show. What a bunch of crap huh?

You may be doing this now but I have had my dish for years & sure like
it.

--
Ray & Ginger
Our home page,
http://rclvc.home.mindspring.com/Millennium/index.htm
Mind over matter, if you don’t mind, it don’t matter.
(Confucius)

"Jane" <je...@club-internet.fr> wrote in message

Allan Smith

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
JJ,

Hmmm, maybe he meant "ole gal". Sort of a "one of the boys" kind of thing.

In a way.

Sort of.

Maybe?

Allan

--
One asks, many answer, all learn. Plato - on the 'Forum'
--

"Just Judy" <jjgo...@OUTOFMYmindspring.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Oct 2000 00:37:38 GMT, Nick C <n-c...@mediaone.net> wrote:
>
> >Hi ole girl. Good to see you in action.
>
> Excuuuuuse me. Ole girl? You know I'll get even with you
> for that; I'll ponder your fate this weekend and then, when you least
> expect it ... kaboom! Until then, have a great weekend. <BG>
>
> --
> Judy~
>
> http://gopanth.home.mindspring.com/index.html
> jjgopanth at NOTMYmindspring dot com
> delete the jj and fix the obvious for e-mail.

Nick C

Oct 13, 2000, 8:37:38 PM10/13/00

Just Judy wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Oct 2000 22:33:22 GMT, Nick C <n-c...@mediaone.net> wrote:
>
> >There you have some of it folks. One lies and the other fumbles. One
> >is good for a laugh while the other is not funny.
>

> I'm probably going to pin my hopes on the fumbler. I've had
> enough of liars, thankyouverymuch.
>
> Hi Nick!!! ;)

Nick C

Oct 13, 2000, 8:37:49 PM10/13/00

Jane wrote:

> Nick C <n-c...@mediaone.net> a écrit dans le message :
> 39E4EAB2...@mediaone.net...
>
> > Bush has referred to "peacekeepers" variously as "pacemakers" and
> > "peacecreepers." And he told an audience in Beaverton, Ore., on Sept.
> > 25 that more and more of our imports come from overseas.
>
> That one is brilliant :-)

That just might not be a bad remark. After all, the remark does
indicate where most of the imports are coming from. By that remark,
you instinctively know that most of the imports are not coming from
Canada, Mexico, Central or South America. None of these nations can be
construed as being "overseas."

>They're beginning to talk about your elections
> over here -- not about the political beliefs or projects, just about the
> men. "Junior" (as he was called by the journalist) was shown blundering
> his way through interviews and all they said about Gore was that he'd said
> he'd consider installing a webcam in the Oval Office which would function 24
> hours a day (didn't say whether it would be under the Oval desk though) ;-)

< Grinning >

> Seriously, whichever side you're on, I do think these guys deserve a little
> credit and respect.

You are absolutely correct. They both may deserve a little credit and
a little respect, but I can't give Gore the credit he claims to
deserve and I respect Gore less than I respect Bush.

>I mean, you're never alone when you're ruling a
> country --

Clinton was, otherwise Monica and the others wouldn't have had their chances.

>whereas during these debates and interviews you are. How can
> they possibly know everything about everything? I can't imagine the
> pressure they're under -- facing deliberately-tricky questions asked by
> journalists who are obviously out for the blundering scoop rather than
> anything else. When any of us talk about what we "think" we know well,
> we'll make mistakes.

Moi????? < grinning >

>Even a post on a newsgroup (which is re-read and
> spell-checked) can include unintended errors. All I can say is "rather them
> than me".

OOPS, the . should come before the " when concluding a sentence. <
just kidding...... >

Nick

Jane

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00
Just Judy <jjgo...@OUTOFMYmindspring.com> a écrit dans le message :
bg6fusg1vp8cuke34...@4ax.com...

> Nah, I know better. But the Tooth Fairy is real. A tooth
> goes bad, I put $1,300 under my pillow, and the tooth fairy takes it
> directly to the endodontist and dentist. Trust me on this. ;)

LOL -- I trust you Judy -- same thing here only the dollars change to
francs. Can you just tell me what an endodontist is please -- the term
doesn't seem to have caught on here yet? :-)

Jane

Jane

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00
Nick C <n-c...@mediaone.net> a écrit dans le message :
39E7A111...@mediaone.net...

> > When any of us talk about what we "think" we know well,
> > we'll make mistakes.

> Moi????? < grinning >

Well, I didn't get the usual quotation marks when I hit "reply" to your post
(I've had to add them by hand) so I guess you did do something wrong :-)

> > Even a post on a newsgroup (which is re-read and
> > spell-checked) can include unintended errors. All I can say is "rather
> > them than me".

> OOPS, the . should come before the " when concluding a sentence. <
> just kidding...... >

LOL -- thanks, nothing like a good laugh to start off the weekend, however
I'm not sure about the . coming first -- I quoted text and then ended my
sentence -- is there are grammar teacher on board/bored? :-)

Jane

Jane

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00
Ray <rc...@mindsprung.com> a écrit dans le message :
8s7d2b$2gu$1...@slb6.atl.mindspring.net...

Hi Ray,

> I to have a satellite dish. When you get a chance go to satellite
> telstar 6 "T6" 93 degrees & try to catch the news feeds. Some other
> satellite also have feeds to.
>
> I like them because I see the un edited versions of a broadcast before
> editing.

I would just love to get stuff like that Ray but my satellite is in a fixed
position to capt a bouquet of 500 channels provided in an exclusive offer by
one of the French TV stations. We would like to have one of those rotary
satellite heads but I don't think we'd be able to get any American channels,
would we? Oh no -- I'm having trouble understanding hard and soft ware --
now I'm going to get confused about satellites flying overhead :-))

Jane

Nick C

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00

Jane wrote:

> Nick C <n-c...@mediaone.net> a écrit dans le message :

> 39E7A111...@mediaone.net...

> > > When any of us talk about what we "think" we know well,
> > > we'll make mistakes.
>
> > Moi????? < grinning >
>

> Well, I didn't get the usual quotation marks when I hit "reply" to your post
> (I've had to add them by hand) so I guess you did do something wrong :-)
>

> > > Even a post on a newsgroup (which is re-read and
> > > spell-checked) can include unintended errors. All I can say is "rather
> > > them than me".
>
> > OOPS, the . should come before the " when concluding a sentence. <
> > just kidding...... >
>

> LOL -- thanks, nothing like a good laugh to start off the weekend, however
> I'm not sure about the . coming first -- I quoted text and then ended my
> sentence -- is there are grammar teacher on board/bored? :-)
>
> Jane

What's the diff. A hundred years from now no one will care what we
did. But you were right in the first place. Overconfidence and/or
hastiness are typical examples that cause errors. In my case, when it
comes to typing, my mind works faster than my two pecking fingers,
couple that with trifocals and "mistakes" becomes my middle name. <BG>

Nick

Penn Hackney

Oct 15, 2000, 1:24:31 AM10/15/00
Nick C wrote:

> Dave Krieps wrote:
> >
> > For what it's worth, take a look at this URL:
> > http://www.salon.com/tech/col/rose/2000/10/05/gore_internet/index.html
> >
> > Cheers ! :)
>
> The following was published in yesterday's news paper.
>
> Some recent Gore and Bush flubs.

And another story on flubs:
Bush errs on Texas hate crime; Gore flubs Balkans
Thursday, October 12, 2000
By Calvin Woodward, The Associated Press
http://www.post-gazette.com/headlines/20001012truthsquadnat6.asp
[snip]
--
Penn Hackney, Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.betatesters.com/penn/

Jane

Oct 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/15/00

Nick C <n-c...@mediaone.net> a écrit dans le message :
39E8D9CE...@mediaone.net...

> What's the diff. A hundred years from now no one will care what we
> did. But you were right in the first place. Overconfidence and/or
> hastiness are typical examples that cause errors. In my case, when it
> comes to typing, my mind works faster than my two pecking fingers,
> couple that with trifocals and "mistakes" becomes my middle name. <BG>

This is an aside, but I've just (im)patiently waited for one hour whilst
Eric typed a short letter with his two pecking fingers. Having worked as a
secretary I must admit I type really quickly and I just thought I'd pay a
tribute here to all of you who type such long posts with just two fingers --
it can't be that easy or that quick either -- thanks for all the efforts you
make :-)

Jane

Jane

Oct 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/15/00
Just Judy <jjgo...@OUTOFMYmindspring.com> a écrit dans le message :
osijuscpifb05h7d0...@4ax.com...

> You're lucky. If you're eating a fresh *real* croissant now,
> you're luckier than anyone in the US could imagine, unless they've
> had one. ;)

Listen, we're in need of a change and know that European things (especially
French) seem to work well in the States. I'm prepared to bring over my
know-how and create a Croissanterie or a Cręperie if someone is willing to
fund it and offer us (il)legal immigrant status. I'll wait for your

> Why is it that everytime I read or respond to one of your
> posts, it makes me hungry? Must be all that French food I remember!

Perhaps 'cos today my posts come over with the fragrance of coq au vin? ;-)

Jane

Ray

Oct 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/15/00
Those fixed dishes are good. I'm thinking of getting one when this one
gives out because one does now have to change satellite & as there are
19 according to my guide that's 24 channels on each one. Not that all
have any thing there. Some of the 19 I can't get either as their there
for other countries. Only two I think it is.
Once it is in place it is just like using a TV control to change from
one to another satellite. I did learn how to change the program when one
satellite moves out & another takes its place so I do my own programming
there. Which really is easy once shown how. Check with your locals & see
who has one & ask them if they get US stuff.

--
Ray & Ginger
Our home page,
http://rclvc.home.mindspring.com/Millennium/index.htm
Mind over matter, if you don’t mind, it don’t matter.
(Confucius)

"Jane" <je...@club-internet.fr> wrote in message

Jane

Oct 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/17/00
Ray <rc...@mindsprung.com> a écrit dans le message :
8sd9pe$vu9$1...@slb0.atl.mindspring.net...

> Once it is in place it is just like using a TV control to change from
> one to another satellite. I did learn how to change the program when one
> satellite moves out & another takes its place so I do my own programming
> there. Which really is easy once shown how. Check with your locals & see
> who has one & ask them if they get US stuff.

Actually satellite TV is quite rare here and probably because it offers lots
of sport and lots of American and English series/films/shows in their
original language. French people are so used to watching dubbed films they
don't really care about real voices (and don't realise how much is lost via
the translation either). Our range of programmes comes via the Astra
satellite -- if we ever win on the horses we'll invest in the Telstar
equipment ;-)

Jane

Jane

Oct 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/17/00
Just Judy <jjgo...@OUTOFMYmindspring.com> a écrit dans le message :
u3sjus4ggpnik2e2o...@4ax.com...

> Do you know how to make mousse au chocolat noir?

Judy, I haven't tried this recipe, but I've found it in a French cook book
my mum-in-law gave me (thinking I would probably kill her son with my
English know-how) -- oh, and I know you all work with spoons and cups etc.,
so I'm hoping that your site which changes celsius to fahrenheit will also
give you the grammes/oz scale.

Eugénie Brazier -- Old Mother Brazier's Recipes

Black Chocolate Mousse

<to enhance this mousse, the author suggests adding either 2 dessert spoons
of chopped and grilled almonds or 1 dessert spoon of chopped candid orange
peel>

For 4 to 6 people

Black cooking chocolate broken into pieces --> 250 g
Water --> 4 dessert spoonfuls
Butter --> 30 g
Eggs, whites separated from yolks --> 5
Rum --> 1 dessert spoonful

Melt over a very low heat the chocolate with the water and the butter. Off
the heat, incorporate one by one the egg yolks with a wooden spoon. Add the
rum.

Beat the egg whites until very firm. Delicately incorporate them into the
chocolate and pour into a deep dish. Leave overnight in the fridge.

Bon appétit :-)

Jane <who would recommend imported Côte d'Or cooking chocolate, but I'm not
sure whether you're able to find it>