The Democrats' Plan to Pack the Supreme Court

Leroy N. Soetoro

May 22, 2022, 6:31:40 PM5/22/22
https://www.rpc.senate.gov/policy-papers/the-democrats-plan-to-pack-the-
supreme-court

KEY TAKEAWAYS

Senate and House Democrats have introduced legislation to pack the Supreme
Court, expanding the number of justices from nine to 13 in order to
guarantee liberal victories at the court.

The Biden administration also created a commission comprised almost
exclusively of law professors to review proposed changes to the Supreme
Court.

A recent poll found just 26% of Americans support packing the Supreme
Court, compared to 46% who oppose it.

Last week, Democrats in the Senate and House introduced legislation to
pack the Supreme Court by adding four new justices. This marks a dramatic
change. As recently as the last Democratic presidential primary, only one
candidate – Tom Steyer – advocated packing the court, and even Senator
Bernie Sanders opposed it. Democrats took the radical step despite a
recent warning from Justice Stephen Breyer, a Clinton appointee, that
increasing the number of justices will undermine the court’s legitimacy. A
recent poll found just 26% of Americans support packing the Supreme Court,
compared to 46% who oppose it.

The Democrats’ plan would be the first change in the number of justices on
the court since 1869 – and easily the largest ever. Meanwhile, President
Biden this month created a 36-member, heavily left-wing commission – co-
chaired by President Obama’s White House counsel and comprised almost
entirely of law professors – to consider and recommend changes to the
Supreme Court.

A ruling party packing a nation’s highest court is a rare national
embarrassment even in less developed countries. If Democrats manage to
pack the Supreme Court, our country would join the august ranks of
Venezuela in 2004 and Argentina in 1989. That any Democrats are seriously
considering a plan to pack the courts is a sad development for the United
States.

THE INDEPENDENCE OF THE JUDICIARY
Given the history of court packing, it is troubling that the Biden
commission has no historians among its members. That judges should rule
based on the law and not their partisan allegiance is not a new idea, but
countries rarely manage to put it into practice. The American judicial
system became the envy of the world precisely because of its independence.
A renowned historian of the American Revolution, Gordon Wood, has
described it as the creation of judges who are “agents of the sovereign
people somehow equal in authority with the legislators and executives.”
Justices have, therefore, frequently ruled against the presidents and
parties that put them on the court. Some of the most prominent,
politically sensitive Supreme Court cases in history have involved
justices ruling against the parties that put them in power, including U.S.
v. Nixon and Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co. v. Sawyer.

The biggest threat to American judicial independence until now came in
1937. Following a series of losses at the Supreme Court, President
Franklin Roosevelt proposed adding as many as six new justices. The plan
sparked a national uproar. Ultimately, the court relented, upholding the
National Labor Relations Act. It was derided as the “switch in time that
saved nine,” and the court-packing plan was abandoned.

Today, scholars across the political spectrum regard it as a blunder. The
political impact of the plan was catastrophic for the Democrats, who lost
eight Senate seats, 81 House seats, and 12 governor’s mansions in the 1938
elections. Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg agreed that it was a blunder.

Court-packing weakens independence by only allowing judges to retain
meaningful power if they rule how the party in power wants them to. As one
law professor observed at the time of FDR’s court packing scheme: “There
are at least two ways of getting rid of judges. One is to take them out
and shoot them, as they are reported to do in at least one other country.
The other way is more genteel, but no less effective. They are kept on the
public payroll, but their votes are canceled.”

In addition to court packing, the Biden commission will consider other
ways to undermine judicial independence. One such idea is term limits for
Supreme Court justices. Article III of the Constitution provides life
tenure for federal judges, but some term-limit proposals would try to
avoid a constitutional violation by merely mandating that justices take
“senior” status after 18 years. Senior justices would hear cases as
assigned by the chief justice.

The very existence of an executive-branch commission passing judgment on
the Supreme Court raises separation of powers concerns. There have been
judiciary-related commissions before, but none were controversial. They
involved non-partisan topics like case management and judicial ethics.
None of those commissions were given the specific task of recommending
changes to the Supreme Court.

WHY NINE IS THE RIGHT NUMBER OF JUSTICES
In addition to undermining judicial independence, the Democratic court-
packing scheme lacks any impartial justification. As Justice Ginsburg
said, “Nine seems to be a good number.” Every state’s highest court has
between five and nine justices. Similar courts in other countries like
Canada, Germany, and France have nine justices. The more justices on a
high court, the more likely the court is to be a pawn of the ruling party.
As a result of its 2004 packing, the Venezuelan high court grew to 36
justices, leading to the sad spectacle of the justices chanting slogans of
support for President Hugo Chavez at the opening of their 2006 judicial
year.

Democrats’ argument for packing the court is an embarrassing pretext. They
claim that Republicans “stole” two seats by appointing Justices Neil
Gorsuch and Amy Coney Barrett. Of course, nothing about those appointments
or the vacancies they filled required changing any law. It is telling that
the Democrats’ preferred solution is to add four new justices to address
the supposed unfairness of the ordinary confirmation of two justices. By
the most amazing coincidence, there would then be seven Democrat-appointed
justices and six Republican-appointed justices instead of the current 6-3
breakdown favoring Republican appointees.

Another spurious justification for court packing is that there are now 13
federal judicial circuits, so there should be 13 justices. Before there
were circuit courts, Supreme Court justices would “ride circuit,” hearing
federal appellate level cases for the circuit they were assigned to. But
that practice ended more than a century ago. Supreme Court justices do not
hear circuit court cases, and every justice votes on every case granted
certiorari upon appeal from the circuits. The chief justice assigns
circuits to individual justices for which they are responsible for
handling emergency requests, but the justices generally refer any
significant requests to the full court. There is no administrative need
for more justices based on the number of circuits, which has been 13 since
1982.

The Democrats’ true justification is obvious: they want to control the
court so it will rule how they want. This venal motive is leading
Democrats astray. Once the court has been so clearly politicized, there is
no limit to how many times it can be packed. But it only has to happen
once to destroy the court’s reputation for independence.

--
"LOCKDOWN", left-wing COVID fearmongering. 95% of COVID infections
recover with no after effects.

ballots. Report voter fraud: sf.n...@mail.house.gov

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.

Raccoon Country

May 23, 2022, 12:10:04 AM5/23/22
In article <76019190-5bfd-4b59-a3de-
96bdca...@googlegroups.com>
"jecorbe...@yahoo.com" <jecorbe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, May 22, 2022 at 6:31:38 PM UTC-4, Leroy N. Soetoro wrote:
> > https://www.rpc.senate.gov/policy-papers/the-democrats-plan-to-pack-the-
>
> > The Democrats’ true justification is obvious: they want to contro
> l the
> > court so it will rule how they want. This venal motive is leading
> > Democrats astray. Once the court has been so clearly politicized, there i
> > no limit to how many times it can be packed. But it only has to happen
> > once to destroy the court’s reputation for independence.
>
> When the Democrats won control of the Senate, I feared this is what they would do. They
> would eliminate the filibuster which would have allowed them to pass the most radical agenda on a straight party line vote. Not only would they pack the court, but they would
> give statehood to DC and PR. Medicare for all. Draconian gun control laws. I thought it was
> the end of the country as we knew it.
>
> Fortunately Joe Manchin and Kristen Sinema will prevent this power grab. These bills have
> zero chance of defeating the filibuster and Schumer can't get rid of the filibuster without
> Manchin and Sinema and both are opposed to it. That will prevent the current Congress from
> packing the court. In the unlikely event the Democrats pick up two more seats in the Senate
> in the midterms, they are going to lose the House. To pack the court they are going to need
> control of both houses of Congress and enough votes in the Senate to eliminate the
> filibuster. Unless there is a drastic change in the political winds, they have no change of
> doing that.

Nancy Pelosi thinks Democrats aren't going to lose the house and
will maintain status quo in the Senate.

Nancy is the poster girl for term limits.

fenster

May 23, 2022, 2:02:35 AM5/23/22
"Raccoon Country" <racc...@uchicago.edu> wrote in
of lining her pockets before legislation that benefits the masses.