Is it illegal to send someone a letter in the U.S. mail with swear words in the letter?

Chris Tsao

Mar 27, 2016, 10:27:01 PM3/27/16
Is it against the law to send someone a letter in the U.S. mail with the F-word, the S-word, the C-word etc.

There is literally nothing on the internet that says whether it is or isn't.

Gordon Burditt

Mar 28, 2016, 12:47:31 AM3/28/16
> Is it against the law to send someone a letter in the U.S. mail with the F-word, the S-word, the C-word etc.
>
> There is literally nothing on the internet that says whether it is or isn't.

I doubt very much that there will be any problem about such letters
if the recipient doesn't object to receiving it and it doesn't end
up posted on the Internet. I'd expect husbands and wives separated
(by, say, overseas deployment or long business trips) might communicate
about what they want to do to each other when they get back together
and it might sound downright pornographic. Assuming that "the C-word"
is "condom", the Catholic Church would probably object to that word,
but why would they ever see such a letter between husband and wife?

On the other hand, if you are stalking someone, that someone could
take your letter to the police and accuse you of threatening rape,
some other violent attack, or murder. Even if it doesn't result
in a conviction, you could end up with a ruined reputation, a dim
political future, or loss of job (especially if you are a teacher
or caregiver for children). And you might lose custody of your
children.

Note that the US Postal Service has long been used to deliver
magazines in plain brown wrappers that not only use "swear" words,
but illustrate them with photos using zoom lenses, especially before
the invention of Internet Porn sites.

There will always be some idiot who claims that using the F-word
or S-word or C-word is taking the name of the Lord in vain (whose
Lord? Mine certainly doesn't have a name like that!)

McGyver

Mar 28, 2016, 3:47:12 PM3/28/16
Chris Tsao wrote :
> Is it against the law to send someone a letter in the U.S. mail with the
> F-word, the S-word, the C-word etc.
>
> There is literally nothing on the internet that says whether it is or isn't.

Such a letter would not be illegal unless it amounts to a separate
crime such as harrassment, stalking, threatening or whatever.

This answer must not be relied on as legal advice for the reasons
posted here: http://mcgyverdisclaimer.blogspot.com . And I am not your
attorney.

McGyver

Chris Tsao

Mar 30, 2016, 9:59:40 PM3/30/16
On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 3:47:12 PM UTC-4, McGyver wrote:

> Such a letter would not be illegal unless it amounts to a separate
> crime such as harrassment, stalking, threatening or whatever.

This begs the obvious question, how much extra trouble, if they wanted to throw the book at me, would I get in for sending someone a harassing letter with swear words in it?

How much extra trouble would I get in for sending someone a harassing letter with an obscene sexual reference? For example, telling someone that their job sucks moose penis?

Thank you in advance.

McGyver

Apr 1, 2016, 1:08:25 PM4/1/16
Chris Tsao pretended :
The swear words might have an impact on the decision of the police,
judge or jury concerning whether the sentences and meanings constitute
the crime. And might not. The only definite answer I can provide is
that the swear words by themselves in U.S. Mail do not constitute a
crime.

Chris Tsao

Apr 2, 2016, 8:46:23 PM4/2/16
Thank you.

Chris Tsao

Apr 5, 2016, 9:02:26 AM4/5/16
What if I misspell the words, such as sucks donkey caulk, sucks moose bawls? I think that this wouldn't work and that I could get prosecuted for it under some kind of obscenity charge.

infinityclea...@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2016, 11:54:16 PM11/16/16
Hahahaha moose penis.