Conviction of former congressman Jeff Fortenberry thrown out

Jack Sarfatti

Dec 27, 2023, 4:10:04 AM12/27/23
An appeals court on Tuesday reversed a conviction that led to the
resignation last year of former congressman Jeff Fortenberry (R-
Neb.), ruling that he was not tried in the right venue on charges of
lying to federal agents about illegal campaign contributions from a
foreign billionaire.

The decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit said
that Fortenberry’s trial in Los Angeles “took place in a state where
no charged crime was committed, and before a jury drawn from the
vicinage of the federal agencies that investigated the defendant.”

“The Constitution does not permit this,” the decision said.
“Fortenberry’s convictions are reversed so that he may be retried,
if at all, in a proper venue.”

In a statement through his attorneys, Fortenberry said he was
“gratified” by the decision.

“[My wife] Celeste and I would like to thank everyone who has stood
by us and supported us with their kindness and friendship,” he said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/12/26/jeff-
fortenberry-conviction-overturned/