Illegal use of a U.S. PO Box

Thomas Homilius

Jul 25, 2022, 9:41:03 AM7/25/22
Is it illegal if I use a US PO box that normally requires payment? I do
not pay for this U.S. PO Box, but I list this address as my own on the
Internet, e.g. at <https://www.inboxdollars.com/>.

This is the U.S. mailbox I use:
SALT LAKE CITY, UT
50W Broadway Ste 333

I found the address on the internet. I need to provide a U.S. address at
<https://www.inboxdollars.com/> but I'm not a U.S. resident. Of course,
I cannot receive any mail via this address.

--
Thomas Homilius
E-Mail: Thomas....@gmail.com | PGP-Key: 0xA5AD0637441E286F

Stuart O. Bronstein

Jul 25, 2022, 10:48:02 AM7/25/22
Thomas Homilius <Thomas....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it illegal if I use a US PO box that normally requires payment?
> I do not pay for this U.S. PO Box, but I list this address as my
> own on the Internet, e.g. at <https://www.inboxdollars.com/>.
>
> This is the U.S. mailbox I use:
> SALT LAKE CITY, UT
> 50W Broadway Ste 333
>
> I found the address on the internet. I need to provide a U.S.
> address at <https://www.inboxdollars.com/> but I'm not a U.S.
> resident. Of course, I cannot receive any mail via this address.

That is not a legitimate post office box address, so you don't have
to worry about that in particular.

It's illegal to improperly use a P.O. box, but I am not aware whether
or not it is illegal to list a P.O. box as your address when it is
not true. My guess is that it's not, at least from the standpoint of
post office laws and regulations.

But if you have a company in the US (corporation, LLC or sometimes
partnership) you may be required to list an address where you can be
reached if necessary, and you really can't get mail there, it may not
be strictly illegal but you could face all sorts of nasty
consequences if they try to reach you there for some reason and the
notice never gets to you.

By the way, a P.O. Box is not sufficient if you are asked for a
"street" address. The address you gave can be a street address.
There are many services that provide post office type services, where
you can get mail and have it qualify as a street address. They might
even forward that mail to you wherever you are.

--
Stu
http://DownToEarthLawyer.com

Roy

Jul 25, 2022, 11:00:16 AM7/25/22
The correct address seems to be 50 W Broadway Ste 333 and it appears to
be a virtual office and mailing service. Any mail sent to the OP will
bounce rather quickly.

John Levine

Jul 25, 2022, 4:52:48 PM7/25/22
It appears that Stuart O. Bronstein <spam...@lexregia.com> said:
>Thomas Homilius <Thomas....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is it illegal if I use a US PO box that normally requires payment?
>> I do not pay for this U.S. PO Box, but I list this address as my
>> own on the Internet, e.g. at <https://www.inboxdollars.com/>.
>>
>> This is the U.S. mailbox I use:
>> SALT LAKE CITY, UT
>> 50W Broadway Ste 333

That's not a PO Box, it's a virtual office, where they will receive mail and
phone calls and let you use meeting rooms.

I suppose in some sense giving them a fake address is fraud, and any
mail they send will and up with whoever actually rents "suite 333",
but that web site is so scammy they're not going to do anything about
it other than perhaps close your account if they realize where you
are.

https://www.alliancevirtualoffices.com/virtual-office/us/ut/salt-lake-city/west-broadway-3429
--
Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Thomas Homilius

Jul 25, 2022, 5:26:25 PM7/25/22
Am 2022-07-25 um 15:40 schrieb Thomas Homilius:
> <https://www.inboxdollars.com/>.

Here is the story of how I became a member of InboxDollars:

I recently received emails in English to my email address
Thomas.Homilius[at]gmail.com. These were newsletters and promotional
emails. These emails came from parents.com and people.com, for example.
And I also received emails from InboxDollars.

I tried to register with InboxDollars. This was not possible because I
do not have a US cell phone number.

Then I received an email from InboxDollars:
"Welcome back Thomas
You registered your interest in joining InboxDollars, although we
noticed you're already a member."

I then reset the password at InboxDollars and logged in. Here's what I
saw there: A person by the name "Thomas Reed" from California submitted
my email address Thomas.Homilius[at]gmail to InboxDollars. "Thomas Reed"
did not give a US cell phone number there.

micky

Aug 30, 2022, 2:45:11 PM8/30/22
In misc.legal.moderated, on Mon, 25 Jul 2022 06:40:59 -0700 (PDT),
Thomas Homilius <Thomas....@gmail.com> wrote:

>Is it illegal if I use a US PO box that normally requires payment? I do
>not pay for this U.S. PO Box, but I list this address as my own on the
>Internet, e.g. at <https://www.inboxdollars.com/>.
>
>This is the U.S. mailbox I use:
>SALT LAKE CITY, UT
>50W Broadway Ste 333
>
>I found the address on the internet. I need to provide a U.S. address at
><https://www.inboxdollars.com/> but I'm not a U.S. resident. Of course,
>I cannot receive any mail via this address.

I read your second post too. My friend does surveys, mystery shopping,
etc. and deals with several companies like inboxdollars. I read your
posts to her. With at least one company, her mailing address is still
the place she moved from 6 years ago, but they never write her anyhow.
Everything is done by email. (She's not sure that company ever even
calls or texts her). Probably with you too, no one will ever notice.
Only inboxdollars would be in a position to complain. You're not
hurting the USA, and (I'm no lawyer) I'm sure your not breaking any
laws.

OTOH, I feel obliged to say that the purpose of most surveys of
Americans is to get typical American opinions, to help them market
products to Americans. Some of your likes and dislikes would the same
as if you lived here, but there are also probably things where not
living in the US would make it hard or impossible to be react like a
typical American. For example, do you greatly like, somewhat like,
somewhat dislike, greatly dislike bull-fighting. LOL.

--
I think you can tell, but just to be sure:
I am not a lawyer.