If you are person A and post as person B on social media, does that violate any laws?

S K

Nov 9, 2022, 1:00:11 PM11/9/22
Of course the media outlet can ban anybody for any reason because the first amendment only applies to the government restricting free speech.

Barry Gold

Nov 9, 2022, 1:41:27 PM11/9/22
On 11/9/2022 10:00 AM, S K wrote:
> Of course the media outlet can ban anybody for any reason because the first amendment only applies to the government restricting free speech.

If you do it with intent to gain anything of value -- money, stocks,
material things of any sort -- it is fraud and/or identify theft.

Actually, under certain circumstances it might be identity theft:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1028

But for normal social media, about the only thing that's likely to
happen is that the social media company will suspend or cancel your account.

--
I do so have a memory. It's backed up on DVD... somewhere...

Roy

Nov 9, 2022, 1:46:11 PM11/9/22
On 11/9/2022 10:00 AM, S K wrote:
> Of course the media outlet can ban anybody for any reason because the first amendment only applies to the government restricting free speech.

Things may be different if "B" is a real person and you are
impersonating them.

Rick

Nov 9, 2022, 1:47:00 PM11/9/22
"S K" wrote in message

>Of course the media outlet can ban anybody for any reason because the first
>amendment only applies to the government restricting free speech.

Unless it is done to commit some kind of crime like fraud or identity theft,
it's hard to see how merely posting under another name would be illegal.
It would be similar to meeting someone at a party and introducing yourself
as B when your name is A. Unless you're trying to commit some kind of
identity-related crime, I think you can legally do that.

John Dillinger

Nov 10, 2022, 2:43:44 PM11/10/22
On Wed, 9 Nov 2022 10:00:04 -0800 (PST), S K <skpf...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Of course the media outlet can ban anybody for any reason because the first amendment only applies to the government restricting free speech.

If person B is a real person that you are impersonating and then you
attempt fraud or defamation of them then you could be canceled by the
host. You could also be criminally prosecuted for fraudulent actions.
You could be civilly sued for defamation in many countries.

No, I'm not the famous dead Bank Robber John Dillinger. But no one
actually believes I am either.

IMHO. YMMV.

--
/\_/\