ICC

Bernie Cosell

Apr 4, 2022, 9:37:57 PMApr 4
I know that Russia is not a party {? signatory? participant? don't know
the word} to the ICC but it has been mentioned in the news a lot lately and
I don't understand how it works. I gather that there are a set of
"illegal acts" the come under its purview and "war crimes" [I think] is one
of them. And also I read that the ICC is investigating Russian action in
Ukraine on charges of war crimes. [I just heard today that Zelenskyy is
calling for a charge of genocide, I presume to the ICC, too]

Who can bring charges to the ICC? any {signatory?}? what is their
jurisdiction? the whole world? It must go beyond the countries that
agreed to <whatever> since Russia did not and they're apparently
prosecuting Russia

Are there special prosecutors? What is the court procedure? What is the
Of course, the US court procedures don't apply but they must have some sort
of rules and procedures. are they akin to ours? How does the proceeding
go? Rules of testimony and such? I assume there's no "jury" per se but
likely a bank of judges who decide the cases brought before them. What are
their possible punishments?

Who are the defendants? Whole countries {not likely}. Specific
individuals who would then be named in the proceedings? Perhaps whole
un-named classes of people?

How are their judgments carried out. Especially in the case of Russia who
isn't a {signatory?} to the court.

I'm not looking for a detailed explanation of international court
procedures and such, I'd just like to have some idea of how the ICC works.
Thanks

/Bernie\
--
Bernie Cosell Fantasy Farm Fibers
ber...@fantasyfarm.com Pearisburg, VA

Stuart O. Bronstein

Apr 5, 2022, 1:35:26 PMApr 5
Bernie Cosell <ber...@fantasyfarm.com> wrote:

> I know that Russia is not a party {? signatory? participant?
> don't know the word} to the ICC but it has been mentioned in the
> news a lot lately and I don't understand how it works. I gather
> that there are a set of "illegal acts" the come under its purview
> and "war crimes" [I think] is one of them. And also I read that
> the ICC is investigating Russian action in Ukraine on charges of
> war crimes. [I just heard today that Zelenskyy is calling for a
> charge of genocide, I presume to the ICC, too]

I don't know a lot of details of the International Criminal Court. But
I can say that it wouldn't be able to do anything to Putin unless he
travels to a country that is a participant, or will extradite someone
to a participant country. So even if there is an indictment, nothing
will happen to Putin as long as he stays in Russia.

--
Stu
http://DownToEarthLawyer.com

Nobody Special

Apr 5, 2022, 4:18:51 PMApr 5
On 05/04/2022 02:37, Bernie Cosell wrote:

> Who can bring charges to the ICC? any {signatory?}? what is their
> jurisdiction? the whole world? It must go beyond the countries that
> agreed to <whatever> since Russia did not and they're apparently
> prosecuting Russia

In theory it is impossible to bring Putin to ICC but as his days are
numbered, whoever takes over in Russia will be required to handover
Putin to the ICC and if they fail to do so, sanctions will remain in
force and Russia's economy will remain stagnant until Putin and his
generals are brought to the West to face the music.

John Levine

Apr 5, 2022, 7:13:09 PMApr 5
According to Nobody Special <Nobody....@example.onion>:
>In theory it is impossible to bring Putin to ICC but as his days are
>numbered, whoever takes over in Russia will be required to handover
>Putin to the ICC and if they fail to do so, sanctions will remain in
>force and Russia's economy will remain stagnant until Putin and his
>generals are brought to the West to face the music.

That's one theory. I think it is more likely that there is sufficient
demand for Russian gas and metals that the sanctions will go away as
soon as the Ukranian situation is somewhat resolved, for some version
of resolved.

Russia has no history of democracy other than the chaos in the 1990s
when Yeltsin was in charge, so it is quite likely that the lesson that
many Russians will draw is not that they don't want a strongman, but
that they don't want that particular strongman.

--
Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Bernie Cosell

Apr 6, 2022, 12:32:41 AMApr 6
Bernie Cosell <ber...@fantasyfarm.com> wrote:

} I'm not looking for a detailed explanation of international court
} procedures and such, I'd just like to have some idea of how the ICC works.
} Thanks

The NYTimes came to my [our? :o)] rescue:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/05/world/europe/war-crimes-russia-ukraine.html

/B\

Barry Gold

Apr 6, 2022, 10:29:23 AMApr 6
On 4/5/2022 9:32 PM, Bernie Cosell wrote:
> Bernie Cosell<ber...@fantasyfarm.com> wrote:
>
> } I'm not looking for a detailed explanation of international court
> } procedures and such, I'd just like to have some idea of how the ICC works.
> } Thanks
>
> The NYTimes came to my [our? :o)] rescue:
>
> https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/05/world/europe/war-crimes-russia-ukraine.html

Paywall.

--
I do so have a memory. It's backed up on DVD... somewhere...

John Levine

Apr 6, 2022, 2:20:01 PMApr 6
According to Barry Gold <bg...@labcats.org>:
>On 4/5/2022 9:32 PM, Bernie Cosell wrote:
>> Bernie Cosell<ber...@fantasyfarm.com> wrote:
>>
>> } I'm not looking for a detailed explanation of international court
>> } procedures and such, I'd just like to have some idea of how the ICC works.
>> } Thanks
>>
>> The NYTimes came to my [our? :o)] rescue:
>>
>> https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/05/world/europe/war-crimes-russia-ukraine.html
>
>Paywall.

The NYT lets you read a few articles with a free account. Or if you
find their reporting interesting you could, you know, pay for it.

Nobody Special

Apr 6, 2022, 2:20:48 PMApr 6
On 06/04/2022 15:29, Barry Gold wrote:
> On 4/5/2022 9:32 PM, Bernie Cosell wrote:
>> Bernie Cosell<ber...@fantasyfarm.com>  wrote:
>>
>> } I'm not looking for a detailed explanation of international court
>> } procedures and such, I'd just like to have some idea of how the ICC
>> works.
>> } Thanks
>>
>> The NYTimes came to my [our? :o)] rescue:
>>
>> https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/05/world/europe/war-crimes-russia-ukraine.html
>>

> Paywall.

Try this link:

<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-60690688>

It's a BBC waffle without telling you anything new.

Stuart O. Bronstein

Apr 7, 2022, 1:35:57 AMApr 7
"John Levine" <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:

>>> The NYTimes came to my [our? :o)] rescue:
>>>
>>> https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/05/world/europe/war-crimes-russia
>>> -ukraine.html
>>
>>Paywall.
>
> The NYT lets you read a few articles with a free account. Or if
> you find their reporting interesting you could, you know, pay for
> it.

When NYT first started charging, it was fairly expensive (though less
expensive than subscribing to HBO). But they now have deals that are
fairly inexpensive. Look around.

--
Stu
http://DownToEarthLawyer.com

Rick

Apr 7, 2022, 2:58:15 PMApr 7
"John Levine" wrote in message news:t2kelh$1fgl$1...@gal.iecc.com...

>According to Barry Gold <bg...@labcats.org>:
>>On 4/5/2022 9:32 PM, Bernie Cosell wrote:
>>> Bernie Cosell<ber...@fantasyfarm.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> } I'm not looking for a detailed explanation of international court
>>> } procedures and such, I'd just like to have some idea of how the ICC
>>> works.
>>> } Thanks
>>>
>>> The NYTimes came to my [our? :o)] rescue:
>>>
>>> https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/05/world/europe/war-crimes-russia-ukraine.html
>>
>>Paywall.
>
>The NYT lets you read a few articles with a free account. Or if you
>find their reporting interesting you could, you know, pay for it.

But why pay for news when you can get it for free from so many other
reliable sources? It's not like your only choice is NY Times behind a
paywall and nothing else

Bernie Cosell

Apr 8, 2022, 12:18:58 AMApr 8
I didn't see you finding an explanation of how war crimes work :o)
/b\

Rick

Apr 8, 2022, 10:06:30 AMApr 8
"Bernie Cosell" wrote in message

>"Rick" <ri...@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>} "John Levine" wrote in message news:t2kelh$1fgl$1...@gal.iecc.com...
>} >
>} >According to Barry Gold <bg...@labcats.org>:
>} >>On 4/5/2022 9:32 PM, Bernie Cosell wrote:
>} >>> Bernie Cosell<ber...@fantasyfarm.com> wrote:
>} >>>
>} >>> } I'm not looking for a detailed explanation of international court
>} >>> } procedures and such, I'd just like to have some idea of how the ICC
>} >>> works.
>} >>> } Thanks
>} >>>
>} >>> The NYTimes came to my [our? :o)] rescue:
>} >>>
>} >>>
>https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/05/world/europe/war-crimes-russia-ukraine.html
>} >>
>} >>Paywall.
>} >
>} >The NYT lets you read a few articles with a free account. Or if you
>} >find their reporting interesting you could, you know, pay for it.
>} >
>}
>} But why pay for news when you can get it for free from so many other
>} reliable sources? It's not like your only choice is NY Times behind a
>} paywall and nothing else
>
>I didn't see you finding an explanation of how war crimes work :o)
> /b\

Well to be fair, I didn't actually look. But I will concede that if the
Times were the ONLY source for information on a particular topic, then you
would have a fair point. But in this case, someone did find another source
with information on that topic. And in general, it is hard to think of a
particular subject where the Times would be the only source of credible
information. Even when they break or do original reporting on a story, it
tends to get repeated or quoted by other outlets.