Warranty covers only the Original Owner

Leonard S.

Nov 10, 2023, 9:54:50 PM11/10/23
An expensive, non-portable electronic device has been purchased as a gift to a person who lives in a different state. Its factory multi-year warranty covers only the Original Owner and is not transferable. What would be a legally sound way to exercise that warranty by the gift recipient?

micky

Nov 10, 2023, 11:51:39 PM11/10/23
In misc.legal.moderated, on Fri, 10 Nov 2023 18:54:45 -0800 (PST),
"Leonard S." <leonar...@gmail.com> wrote:

>An expensive, non-portable electronic device has been purchased as a gift to a person who lives in a different state. Its factory multi-year warranty covers only the Original Owner and is not transferable. What would be a legally sound way to exercise that warranty by the gift recipient?

I would ask a different question. Who is the best gift recipient? I
would give it to my friend's youngest child.

--
I think you can tell, but just to be sure:
I am not a lawyer.

Roy

Nov 12, 2023, 11:46:18 PM11/12/23
On 11/10/2023 6:54 PM, Leonard S. wrote:
> An expensive, non-portable electronic device has been purchased as a gift to a person who lives in a different state. Its factory multi-year warranty covers only the Original Owner and is not transferable. What would be a legally sound way to exercise that warranty by the gift recipient?

The original owner would be the one who fills out the warranty registration

Rick

Nov 13, 2023, 11:34:03 AM11/13/23
"Leonard S." wrote in message
Not sure I get the point of this question. If the warranty explicitly
states it covers Original Owner only and is not transferable, why do you
think there is some legal means for transferring coverage to the person to
whom you are gifting the item? When you originally purchased the item, you
either knew or should have known what the warranty covered and how it
worked. If you didn't like the terms, you should have either tried
negotiating a different warranty with the seller or simply not bought the
item. Now if you are alleging the warranty was misstated or different from
what you were told when you bought the item, then that's a different case.
But barring that, I really don't see what you are trying to do here.

Rick

Nov 13, 2023, 11:54:21 AM11/13/23
"Leonard S." wrote in message
> [...]

Barry Gold

Nov 14, 2023, 1:43:46 AM11/14/23
In most cases that I've seen, you don't see the warranty until after
you've bought the device and opened the box. So one possibility would be
to return it as having an unsatisfactory warrantee.

I'm inclined to agree with Roy on this one: the "original owner" is the
person who first starts using it. I suspect this is also what the
manufacturer had in mind: they don't want the item transferred from one
person to another over a period of years and try to keep track of who
the actual owner is.

--
I do so have a memory. It's backed up on DVD... somewhere...

Leonard S.

Nov 14, 2023, 4:02:49 PM11/14/23
On Tuesday, November 14, 2023 at 12:43:46 AM UTC-6, Barry Gold wrote:
> I'm inclined to agree with Roy on this one: the "original owner" is the
> person who first starts using it.
> --

Example: a gift purchased using an Amazon account and meant to be wrapped and placed near the Christmas tree, labeled with the gift receiver's name. The proof of purchase will show the purchaser (the Amazon account holder) and assumed by the manufacturer to be "the first owner". No warranty registration exists for this particular item. How to declare the gift recipient as the "Original owner" in the way acceptable to the manufacturer?

micky

Dec 2, 2023, 7:29:48 PM12/2/23
In misc.legal.moderated, on Tue, 14 Nov 2023 13:02:46 -0800 (PST),
Is this a hypothetical and the item is not yet determined? Or do you
have a particular item in mind, that you could describe to us.