Speeding fines cancelled

Jeff Layman

Jan 26, 2024, 11:00:25 AMJan 26
Some speeding fines in Dorset have been cancelled due to cameras being
"out of calibration":
<https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/24071754.hundreds-fines-cancelled-fault-speed-cameras/?ref=rss>

"A spokesperson for Dorset Police said: “We believe the dealignment of
the cameras, meaning that the area of the road captured by the cameras’
image moved slightly, was due to vandalism.

This is not to say that the reported drivers were not identified
correctly or that offences were not committed during that period.

However, in an effort to be fair and transparent, it was decided to
cancel 884 offences detected on those specific cameras for that specific
period."

Do any drivers affected have a claim against the police for any
financial loss (speed awareness course charge, increased insurance
premiums due to points on licence, etc)?

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought I'd read somewhere that the veracity of
speed cameras could not be challenged in court by questioning the
accuracy of their calibration. I wonder how this "decalibration" was
discovered - perhaps an increased number of complaints?

It's not the first time these particular cameras have been challenged -
although unsuccessfully:
<https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/20288634.motorists-wrongfully-issued-speeding-tickets-a338/>

"Any maintenance and calibration checks are carried out by the supplier
to the required, high standards, to ensure correct functionality and
compliance."

Ah, the "Horizon" justification...

--

Jeff