Dissomaster for Macintosh

Dennis D. Albright

Jan 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/4/97

I practice law in California in an All-Macintosh office. The judges are
all using a program called Dissomaster to compute child support pursuant
to the State Guidelines. The program is only availabe for DOS. Other
than using PC emulator on Mac, is there another solution for us Mac
users. <this is not an invitation for a Mac-PC flame war. I am committed
to Mac and you won't change my mind>
In my County about 20% of the family law attorneys use macs <mostly the
brighter, more inovative ones ---sorry, I couldn't help it> and I suspect
the California percentages are comparable. That is a pretty large
market!. Let's see, Dissomaster - About $550 up front and $350 a year...
Your input will be appreciated < and I'll even deal with a little bit of
flaming!>

--
"It's not a jibe, it's an adventure!"

Dennis Albright <Sailmale> albr...@snowcrest.net
Red Bluff, CA Dennis_...@BMUG.com

Bret Halford

Jan 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/4/97

In article <albright-040...@ttyde.losmolinos.snowcrest.net>, albr...@snowcrest.net (Dennis D. Albright) writes:
|> I practice law in California in an All-Macintosh office. The judges are
|> all using a program called Dissomaster to compute child support pursuant
|> to the State Guidelines. The program is only availabe for DOS. Other
|> than using PC emulator on Mac, is there another solution for us Mac
|> users. <this is not an invitation for a Mac-PC flame war. I am committed
|> to Mac and you won't change my mind>
|> In my County about 20% of the family law attorneys use macs <mostly the
|> brighter, more inovative ones ---sorry, I couldn't help it> and I suspect
|> the California percentages are comparable. That is a pretty large
|> market!. Let's see, Dissomaster - About $550 up front and $350 a year...
|> Your input will be appreciated < and I'll even deal with a little bit of
|> flaming!>

If the only requirement is DOS (not Windows, Windows 95, etc) you can
probably pick up some secondhand 286 PCs that will run DOS just fine for
far less than the cost of the program or even DOS-emulators for the Mac.

Personally, I would go for the emulator or a Mac with a DOS card (I use
a Quadra 610 with DOS card and am quite happy with the combination).

| Bret Halford Imagine my disappointment __|
| Sybase Technical Support in learning the true nature __|
| 6400 S. Fiddlers Green Circle of rec.humor.oracle... __|
| Englewood, CO 80111-4954 USA |

Larry H. Corbett, Jr.

Jan 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/4/97

> I practice law in California in an All-Macintosh office. The judges are
> all using a program called Dissomaster to compute child support pursuant
> to the State Guidelines. The program is only availabe for DOS. Other
> than using PC emulator on Mac, is there another solution for us Mac
> users.

There is another such program comparable to CFLR's DissoMaster. I
believe it's called "Support Tax" or maybe "Support ???" This program
might support the Mac. Try doing a web search for it and see what pops
up you might get lucky. In addition, keep in mind that DissoMaster is
only for the calculation for a temporary support order not a permanent
one.

* As always, this is just someone else's opinion,
they could be wrong !

- Larry H. Corbett, Jr.

<"http://home.earthlink.net/~parajuris/CounselQuest/">
____ ____ _ _ _ _ _____ ____ _
/ ___)/ __ \ | | | || \ | |( ___)| ___) | |
( (___( (__) )| |_| || |\| |(___ )| _)__ | |___
\____)\____/ \_____/|_| \_|(_____)|_____)|_____)
___ _ _ ____ _____ _____
/ __ \ | | | || ___) ( ___)(_ _)
( (__) )| |_| || _)__ (___ ) | |
\__\ < \_____/|_____)(_____) |_| TM
\_\

Copyright 1996-97 Larry H. Corbett, Jr. All Rights Reserved.
Nothing herein is to be contrued, in any way, as legal advice.
Always consult with an attorney regarding your legal matters.

Kevin Erikson

Jan 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/8/97

In article <5amnpo$9...@fyi.sybase.com>, br...@sybase.com (Bret Halford) wrote:

> In article <albright-040...@ttyde.losmolinos.snowcrest.net>,
albr...@snowcrest.net (Dennis D. Albright) writes:

> |> I practice law in California in an All-Macintosh office. The judges are
> |> all using a program called Dissomaster to compute child support pursuant
> |> to the State Guidelines. The program is only availabe for DOS. Other
> |> than using PC emulator on Mac, is there another solution for us Mac

> |> users. <this is not an invitation for a Mac-PC flame war. I am committed
> |> to Mac and you won't change my mind>
> |> In my County about 20% of the family law attorneys use macs <mostly the
> |> brighter, more inovative ones ---sorry, I couldn't help it> and I suspect
> |> the California percentages are comparable. That is a pretty large
> |> market!. Let's see, Dissomaster - About $550 up front and $350 a year...
> |> Your input will be appreciated < and I'll even deal with a little bit of
> |> flaming!>
>

> If the only requirement is DOS (not Windows, Windows 95, etc) you can
> probably pick up some secondhand 286 PCs that will run DOS just fine for
> far less than the cost of the program or even DOS-emulators for the Mac.
>
> Personally, I would go for the emulator or a Mac with a DOS card (I use
> a Quadra 610 with DOS card and am quite happy with the combination).
>
> --
> | Bret Halford Imagine my disappointment __|
> | Sybase Technical Support in learning the true nature __|
> | 6400 S. Fiddlers Green Circle of rec.humor.oracle... __|
> | Englewood, CO 80111-4954 USA |

Amen, I'm glad to hear that people are using Macs. I am 13 and am ready
for any flame war! You did say something about a DOS card and I was
wondering exactly how it runs the stuff? I'm thinking of getting one
although they are expensive.
I also thought you might like to know about my web site. I just made
and it isn't that great but it's got EXCELLENT links to good pages. The
URL is http://www.netcom.com/~kevin83/me.html. Thanks!

rober...@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2013, 1:34:53 PM10/1/13
On Saturday, January 4, 1997 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Dennis D. Albright wrote:
> I practice law in California in an All-Macintosh office. The judges are
> all using a program called Dissomaster to compute child support pursuant
> to the State Guidelines. The program is only availabe for DOS. Other
> than using PC emulator on Mac, is there another solution for us Mac
> users. <this is not an invitation for a Mac-PC flame war. I am committed
> to Mac and you won't change my mind>
> In my County about 20% of the family law attorneys use macs <mostly the
> brighter, more inovative ones ---sorry, I couldn't help it> and I suspect
> the California percentages are comparable. That is a pretty large
> market!. Let's see, Dissomaster - About $550 up front and $350 a year...
> Your input will be appreciated < and I'll even deal with a little bit of
> flaming!>
>
> --
> "It's not a jibe, it's an adventure!"
>
> Dennis Albright <Sailmale> albr...@snowcrest.net
> Red Bluff, CA Dennis_...@BMUG.com

Our mediation center (RetiredJudesMediationCenter.com) is also an all Mac office. We have used PC emulation software (VMware) with Dissomaster. However, you can save both money and aggravation by downloading the Dissomaster app on your iPad.

In all respects is seems equal to the more expensive PC cousin, except that you cannot save the data. However, you can print it, and email a PDF of the report, to yourself. As it takes all of about 2 minutes to re-input the data, we have used this alternative.
Robert D. Frank
(858) 755-3441